Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 12, Friday)

Thiem v Zverev

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Womens final

The Men's final

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
We are nearly there. Only 3 matches are left in the singles draw. Today is the women's doubles final and the next-gen semi. If you are in Melbourne, there are still tickets available. Just make sure you thank Thiem for that. Simple stuff below. All attention to the men's Semifinal in the night but the women's doubles final between the 4 best players of that craft should be a good watch.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 43
Very hot with a blend of sun and clouds; humid. risk of a thunderstorm in the late afternoon and evening. An oppressive night
60% of Rain 1-3mm.
The hot weather policy and the wet bulb temperate may be in play.

Rod Laver Arena
Mixed Doubles Semi (3rd Seed v 5th Seed) (1:30 PM Start)
Mixed Doubles Semi BM Sands/J Murray v Sharma/Smith (Not Before 3:00 PM)
Women's Doubles FINAL: Hsieh/Strycova (1) v Babos/Kiki (2) (Not Before 4 PM)

NIGHT
Thiem (5) v Zverev (7) (Not Before 7:30 PM)

H2H record 6-2 to Theim. My big question is how will Zverev play in his first semifinal. Thiem has made finals of Opens and though he got tight serving for it with Nadal, I can't see him having the issues tonight. As for his German buddy, i am clueless. Sascha doing well at a slam is such a shock I have no real idea what to expect from him. I am biased. Go the 1 hander backhand of Thiem. Thiem in 3 for me.

Out of interest, Djokovic is 6-4 vs Thiem (lost the last 2) and 3-2 vs Zverev.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Start of the year I tipped this would be the year one of the next gen broke through and won a slam, from that group of next stars Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev and Thiem.

I dont see either beating Djokovic this AO, but they arent far off in the next few slams.

Thiem for me in 4 sets over Zverev. Just think his game against Nadal was sublime and if he brings that level he wins, its above what Zverev has produced so far this tournament.
3-1 Thiem.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Either Zverev or Thiem taking out the title would be massive for tennis and make this one of the best tournaments in recent memory. I hope we see a clear champ today, it seems like based on Thiem's trajectory this is his time to peak and snatch a title from under the Djoker's feet.
I predict Thiem in a 4-set battle.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Have ticket sales been lower than normal this year? I know a lot of the big names were knocked out early, but even factoring that in I was surprised at how many empty seats there were over the last couple of days, and now there are still plenty of seats available for a semi final.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Have ticket sales been lower than normal this year? I know a lot of the big names were knocked out early, but even factoring that in I was surprised at how many empty seats there were over the last couple of days, and now there are still plenty of seats available for a semi final.
It's 40 degrees, school holidays are over and there's a BBL final on at the same time. Plus Thiem and Zverev aren't huge names like Nadal or Kyrgios would have been.

Aug 28, 2012
South Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NE Patriots, Manchester United
They’re a good chance of breaking the attendance record

They’re a good chance of breaking the attendance record

Yep. Barty and Kyrgios helped that. The middle Saturday with Kyrgios on Melbourne Arena was just packed to the rafters all day

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Plenty of tickets available for tonight on the official Ticketmaster page if anyone wants them.

If Zverev stays mentally with it then we will have a cracking contest.

Tipping Thiem in 4.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
This will keep happening in the next few years once Federer, Nadal and djokovic retire. People won't pay insane prices for quarters, semis and finals if those guys aren't there and it's not an Aussie.
The organisers have even reduced tickets in the top deck to $99 for tonight :O

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back