Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 12 (Men's Semi-Finals)

The Mens Final will be?

• Berrettini vs. Tsitsipas

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Berrettini vs. Medvedev

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Nadal vs. Tsitsipas

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Nadal vs. Medvedev

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Who knew mens doubles tennis would pack out RLA for a semi. You may have many different opinions on the show, but you can't say it hasn't brought more attention to the doubles for a long long time. It was a good day for the Aussies, with Matt Ebden and Max Purcell beating the 2nd seeds in front of the normal audience of the doubles. Alcott also said goodbye. For the first time in the modern era, the 2 men's semi take place on Friday, one after the other. One in the day session, the other in prime time. We also have the Mixed finals, with an All Aussie in Kubler/Fourlis up against it against a very good team. We also have an Aussie in the semi-final of the girls, Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz. She is on MCA from 12:30(ish)

Weather: 32C. Possible storms and heavy falls. Could be dry or we could have flooding. This is the Melbourne we all know.

Rod Laver Arena
12PM
Kubler/Fourlis [WC] vs. Mladenovic/Dodig [5]

2:30PM (Not Before) (H2H)
Berrettini [7] vs. Nadal [6] (Nadal 1-0)

7:30PM
[4] Tsitsipas vs. [2] Medvedev (Medvedev 6-2)

Both Berrettini and his opponent wasted a 2 set lead only to win in the 5th. For Berrettini, this was his 2nd 5th set match at this year tournament and the 2nd time he nearly coughed up 2 sets to love lead. he has had a hard road to this stage, dropping sets in all but one match. He also didn't have the greatest of ATP Cups, going 1-2 in that tournament. But he was impressive in stages in his wins over top-quality opposition in Alcaraz, C.Busta and Monfils. he had a real breakthrough 2021, making the final of Wimbledon and quarters in the US Open and French, showcasing his all-court ability, with his big serve and forehand a weapon on any surface. Indeed, he is on a 21 match winning streak at Grand Slams against people not named Novak. Nadal knows all about losing to Novak, having done so in the final of Aus Open 2019 and 2012. The Aus Open is the grand small tournament he struggles most at, having only won it once. Last year, Nadal would win the first 2 sets against Tsitsipas only to lose and it looked like it could happen again, and perhaps it should have against Shapovalov. He clearly suffered in that match and would be glad to have had 2 days off to rest his 35-year-old body.. Outside of that match, he had a calm summer, winning the Melbourne warm-up and only dropping a set against Khachanov. They had 1 head2head, the 2019 US Open Semi-Final, in which Nadal would win easily to win in straight sets. Thinking this will be a toss-up and really depends on the fitness levels of both players. I am going with the younger man, Berrettini in 4 sets.

Tsitsipas is back at the AO semi-finals and is playing the same opponent as last year. But unlike last year, he has the benefit of having a quick straight-set semi against the Russian who had to come back from 2 sets to love down. Indeed, Tsitsipas is the only player in the semi who didn't go 5 in the quarter-finals in his very impressive win over Sinner. He had to go 5 to beat Fritz and dropped a set apiece sets in the 2nd and 3rd round. He was not expecting to make it to this stage, with late-season elbow surgery and had little match practise before the tournament, having to withdraw from the ATP after 1 and a quarter matches. The Greek had an outstanding first half of last year(and iffy last year), making the final of the French and the semis here, where he lost to Medvedev easily. Medvedev has had a grumpy tournament, so that's normal for him. He has made enemies in the crowd, and then won over some of them by coming back from 2 sets to love down and having the match of the tournament with FAA. He hasn't been at his best this tournament with Cressy especially frustrating him but he still has an 8-1 this summer. He also dropped a set against Nick. He is coming from winning his first grand slam last year at the US Open, and he made the final here last year. Though Tsitsipas won their last head 2 head at the quarters at the French, Medvevdev holds a 5-1 lead on hardcourt/indoors. They also have a history. Medvedev will want to be fit and be at his disruptive best. Tsitsipas performance last match, and the wear in Medvedev's legs from last year/last match has me questioning this more than last year. I still think Medvedev in 4 with little confidence.

Impressed with Tsitsipas tournament to make it this far, Medvedev is another level and generally has his number. I'd love to see Stef win and make the final here it would be a huge event. I think Medvedev will have too much for him but anything can happen, as we saw in the FAA-Med quarter final.

The reality is if Tsitsipas wants to win slams he'll have to start beating Medvedev, it's a match-up we are going to see many times deep into grand slams over the next 7-10 years. I know Tsitsipas beat him at the French Open but Medvedev on a hard-court is a different beast. Must win the first set to give himself a chance.

As for the other semi, I think Nadal will win and get his shot at number 21. Berrettini is capable but I think Nadal gets it done.

Fourlis.. the Kokk and the King.. Tsitsipas.. all playing in GS finals this weekend.. oh kala re.. oh kala re.. the tavernas are goannaa gooo.. oooooofffff.. khehaseto mate.. khehaseto mate.. Imma party my hasselhoff mate.. that's it mate.. foorgeettt about it mate.. foorgeettt about it mate..

Opa opa.. opa opa!

Last edited:
I hope Stefanos wins because I had a pre-tournament bet on him to take out the whole thing, but I reckon his tournament comes to an end tonight.

It's destined for a Nadal v Medvedev final.

Nadal has played through injury for most of his career. The only thing that has changed is he's now 35, but he's still Rafa, and he still can't be written off. The perfect example of Rafa still being able to perform at a high level despite being significantly injured is when he somehow managed to take the third set off Wawrinka in the 2014 Aus Open Final.

Tsitsipas has looked very impressive to me last few rounds and Medvedev well below his level from the second half of last year, so I reckon the Greek gets it done. As for the other one it purely comes down to whether Nadal is injured, if he's not he'll make enough returns and then hammer Berrettini's backhand for 7 hours if thats what it takes.

I hope Stefanos wins because I had a pre-tournament bet on him to take out the whole thing, but I reckon his tournament comes to an end tonight.

It's destined for a Nadal v Medvedev final.

Nadal has played through injury for most of his career. The only thing that has changed is he's now 35, but he's still Rafa, and he still can't be written off. The perfect example of Rafa still being able to perform at a high level despite being significantly injured is when he somehow managed to take the third set off Wawrinka in the 2014 Aus Open Final.

Tsitsipas has looked very impressive to me last few rounds and Medvedev well below his level from the second half of last year, so I reckon the Greek gets it done. As for the other one it purely comes down to whether Nadal is injured, if he's not he'll make enough returns and then hammer Berrettini's backhand for 7 hours if thats what it takes.

You'd hate to be matched up against Nadal.

You just know that in the first round of a third tier tournament in the middle of nowhere, he'd still force you to play a full 5 sets because he absolutely refuses to stop.

Fourlis.. the Kokk and the King.. Tsitsipas.. all playing in GS finals this weekend.. oh kala re.. oh kala re.. the tavernas are goannaa gooo.. oooooofffff.. khehaseto mate.. khehaseto mate.. Imma party my hasselhoff mate.. that's it mate.. foorgeettt about it mate.. foorgeettt about it mate..

Opa opa.. opa opa!
You eejit re!

Curious to see how rafa goes he looked completly cooked against Shapo

Yep, a bit like Djokovic heading into the 2021 US Open final.

Nadal has the benefit of his opponent having gone through a similar ordeal though. Remember, both Rafa and Matteo have had an extra day off so this will be great for recovery too.

And of course, Rafa has been in this position many times before.

I want to see Nadal win, just so he has an opportunity to get to 21 and become a multiple AUS OPEN champion. A great should have this on their palmares - multiple titles at each slam. For all the titles Roger and Rafa have accumulated, only Novak has multiple titles at each slam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick going to his happy place

rap-birthday.gif

Get ready for a Nadal v Medvedev final, I hope Medvedev can win the tournament
Part of me wants Nadal to win so he goes one ahead of Dkjokovic. But if Medvedev wins I'd be happy, same with Tsitsipas

Every other tennis coverage how can Tsitsipas over come Medvedev on a hard court

Channel 9 with Chompers Tsitsipas would smash Medvedev in a fight

Imagine the Dev v Stan 'The Man' Longinidis in a fight mate.. Stan would only need to sweep the leg once mate.. and seeee yaaaaa laaaateeerrr maaaate.. no mercy mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

Last edited:
Back