• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Don’t hate Novak, he’s not my cup of tea but having a ‘villain’ is what makes sport entertaining. It’s like Ginnivan, Sicily, Rance, etc. Every sport needs the good and bad.

Better than watching PR robots

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
26-27? I wish. Grand slams are very hard to win. Just because it looks like Novak is possibly heading towards another, it doesn’t mean that the run won’t dry up suddenly. Alcaráz, Sinner, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Korda, Rune, the challengers are increasing and Novak is only getting older. I take nothing for granted.

What's their record against him? 26 Is easily plausible. That's 5 (4 if he wins here) more and if he plays for 5-7 more years he'd only need about 1 per year to reach it. He's almost guaranteed a couple of more AO titles..it's his pet GS... and he'll jag another US or Wimbledon along the way.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
What's their record against him? 26 Is easily plausible. That's 5 (4 if he wins here) more and if he plays for 5-7 more years he'd only need about 1 per year to reach it. He's almost guaranteed a couple of more AO titles..it's his pet GS... and he'll jag another US or Wimbledon along the way.
The newer generation don’t have the game to play Wimbledon and somewhat clay. Alcaraz will needs to adjust a fair bit to play grass.
Nadal isn’t playing Wimbledon this year. Djokovic doesn’t have a competitor in grass.

Can’t wait til Federer’s incredible record only to be matched by Novak with 8 Wimbledon titles.

How? Novak is incredible. But apparently it you like him and not Federer/Nadal, you’re annoying someone else. Come on now
Did you even read the posts further up? A Novak devotee literally conceded he likes him because he annoys people. Keep up.

He is THE biggest robot. So unikeable,

And the main support he gets downunder is Serb-Australians with flags.

How is getting support from those fans a bad thing?

Did you even read the posts further up? A Novak devotee literally conceded he likes him because he annoys people. Keep up.

He actually shows emotion it’s what I like in the sport. Not afraid to go off which is awesome. All this annoys Federer fans which is a fantastic bonus too.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ah well the Serbian is a person of ill repute... no really... it all raises questions about different dynamics...
He is a smart guy and well I am entitled to .... nah he is tracking well.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Isn't it arguable that he is in the top 3 ranked players on clay of all time?
He has won 85 matches at the French Open (36 more than Borg), he has won the Monte-Carlo Masters twice, he has won Madrid three times and Rome six times. In total he has won 18 clay titles (obviously including two majors, he has also been runner up four times).
Now that's not Borg levels, and definitely not at Nadal's ridiculous level, however I struggle to think of any other player who is clearly better on clay than Djokovic.
Lendl
Kuerten

Apparently loud Aussie fans cheering on people like the Special K's is a bad thing - they're bogans. But it's ok for Serbs & Greeks it seems.

There is a line, and between points and tennis etiquette is lost with the Special K fans. There is a big difference. You can be as roust as you want after a point but you be quiet and sit down during and when they are serving (both players).

Don’t hate Novak, he’s not my cup of tea but having a ‘villain’ is what makes sport entertaining. It’s like Ginnivan, Sicily, Rance, etc. Every sport needs the good and bad.

Better than watching PR robots
It mostly comes down to culture in society, most people are taught from a young age that winners should be humble and losers should be quiet. Anyone that goes against those societal norms comes across as unlikeable to a majority of people as a result. Djokovic isn't that bad from a sportsmanship perspective but he came after Federer who was a very humble champion.

But on the other hand, some people like anti-authoritarian types that go against societal norms. Djokovic doesn't really fit that mold (I'd say Kyrigos does) but he's closer to that than Federer was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
It mostly comes down to culture in society, most people are taught from a young age that winners should be humble and losers should be quiet. Anyone that goes against those societal norms comes across as unlikeable to a majority of people as a result. Djokovic isn't that bad from a sportsmanship perspective but he came after Federer who was a very humble champion.

But on the other hand, some people like anti-authoritarian types that go against societal norms. Djokovic doesn't really fit that mold (I'd say Kyrigos does) but he's closer to that than Federer was.

Not necessarily.

There is a range of things, particularly in recent years that he has refused to consider/reflect/apologise for.

eg.
-anger issues and throwing tantrums
-US Open default for hitting a line judge
-unvaccinated status, dancing in nightclubs, going to events with kids (when he was supposedly COVID positive)
-trying to bypass Australian visa laws - one rule for me and one for thee
-all the medical nonsense
-pushing the boundaries of privacy and security - hiding pills in water bottles, being covered with towels when he is in the gym etc.

Just generally being a w***er - winning or losing.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not necessarily.

There is a range of things, particularly in recent years that he has refused to consider/reflect/apologise for.

eg.
-anger issues and throwing tantrums
-US Open default for hitting a line judge
-unvaccinated status, dancing in nightclubs, going to events with kids (when he was supposedly COVID positive)
-trying to bypass Australian visa laws - one rule for me and one for thee
-all the medical nonsense
-pushing the boundaries of privacy and security - hiding pills in water bottles, being covered with towels when he is in the gym etc.

Just generally being a w***er - winning or losing.
Don’t let fact get in the way of a good argument.

Take a bow Sir.

Last edited:
Back