Grand Slam Australian Open Day 13 - Barty v Collins + Mens Double final CONGRATS ASH BARTY šŸ†šŸøšŸ¾

Barty v Collins

• Barty in 2

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Barty in 3

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Collins in 2

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Collins in 3

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No but probably more talented than any of the guys playing doubles yeah?

E.g. Mektik and Pavic have never even played the main draw of a singles grand slam.
I watched doubles because of the Aussies in a final, bit don't really follow it.

Does anyone? It's a side thought.

Nick and Kokkinakis were watchable purely because I wanted to see Nick implode and most of the time he delivered on that. They are fun to watch.

But a complete pisstake team just won a doubles grandslam. It's a bit of a joke, pretty sure Nick himself the ither day said they don't even practice doubles. I wouldn't even doubt it.

Disappointing that Purcell is sponsored by Dunlop but doesn't wear volleys out there.

Years ago when the AO was still played at Kooyong on the grass there was a young qualifier who from memory made the quarter or semi-finals and was opposed to an Australian veteran, maybe John Alexander or Kym Warwick.

The veteran had all the latest gear and multiples of everything supplied by their sponsors of course. The young kid had one shirt, one pair of shorts and played the match in a pair of Dunlop Volleys in about 40 degree heat. He chased everything like a teenager can do and lost in maybe 4 sets.

I watched doubles because of the Aussies in a final, bit don't really follow it.

Does anyone? It's a side thought.

Nick and Kokkinakis were watchable purely because I wanted to see Nick implode and most of the time he delivered on that. They are fun to watch.

But a complete pisstake team just won a doubles grandslam. It's a bit of a joke, pretty sure Nick himself the ither day said they don't even practice doubles. I wouldn't even doubt it.
I watch it. :p

These guys won junior titles as a doubles team together. I know the way they talk they just decided to turn up and win but that's bullshit. They've clearly been together before.

Would love Kokky and Nick to become top 20 single players and win a few slams each
It would take some maturity and a pretty big step up but it's possible for Kyrgios. Kokkinakis probably doesn't have 2 slams in him - that is super elite and he is ranked 145 at the moment. Even a vast improvement might see him top 40 or so but 2 slams is a massive level above that.

I mean no disrespect to pure doubles players but the reason they play doubles is they aren't good enough to play singles. They're the less talented players.

Not sure it's all that surprising 2 talented blokes teaming up were able to beat them. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Nick needs to apply himself half as much as if he played singles.

These guys won junior titles as a doubles team together. I know the way they talk they just decided to turn up and win but that's bullshit. They've clearly been together before.
I think they didn't expect to get very far but signed up because they like playing doubles together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick needs to apply himself half as much as if he played singles.
Nick issues are all in his head he's got the skill to be a Top player just lacks the focus. Probably would have done better this year if he'd been seeded (better matchups) and hadn't been recovering from Covid. His serving has been top notch this year.

Would love Kokky and Nick to become top 20 single players and win a few slams each
They are miles behind De Minaur. De Minaur is metres behind the chasing pack and the chasing pack are metres behind Djokovic, Nadal and Medvedev.

Kyrgios has to have a huge mental turnaround. Seeing him laughing at the tv when Barty won who is similar age to him really shows you why he is unlikely to be anywhere near a slam.

If the security guard is going to enforce rules he has to follow them himself.

Like anyone else bothers with wearing it when you are there lol. Always have a drink on hand so you donā€™t have to!

I gotta hand it to Kyrgios.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike him anymore, he goes and outdoes himself. The rank hypocrisy to call for the guy to be kicked out after his performance over the two weeks takes the cake. I'm sure he'll outdo himself in the future.

Thoroughly entertaining, reasonably high quality tennis match.

They are miles behind De Minaur. De Minaur is metres behind the chasing pack and the chasing pack are metres behind Djokovic, Nadal and Medvedev.

Kyrgios has to have a huge mental turnaround. Seeing him laughing at the tv when Barty won who is similar age to him really shows you why he is unlikely to be anywhere near a slam.

Both these two have more talent than De Minaur who unfortunately will get found out for a lack of any weapon. Whether Kokk can stay fit or Nick cares enough to get there in singles who honestly knows

Nick issues are all in his head he's got the skill to be a Top player just lacks the focus. Probably would have done better this year if he'd been seeded (better matchups) and hadn't been recovering from Covid. His serving has been top notch this year.
Been said a million times, the guy isn't interested in being good, only interested in getting paid

It's a shame but it is what it is

He lacks more than focus.

He would have done better if he didnā€™t have covid? Or if he was seeded with easier matchups? You get seeded if you perform well over a 12 month period. The fact he was not seeded is on Kyrgios only. He didnā€™t have covid for 12 months straight. Plus, if Kyrgios is hoping to play lower ranked players to advance further in the grand slam he really isnā€™t good enough.

So two blokes that donā€™t even practise doubles team up to win the whole thing as a giggle.

If that doesnā€™t point to the format being dead. The sport should be happy these two are bringing it some level of publicity and relevance as the only alternative is continued obscurity.

Back