Grand Slam Australian Open Day 13 - Barty v Collins + Mens Double final CONGRATS ASH BARTY 🏆🍸🍾

Barty v Collins

• Barty in 2

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Barty in 3

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Collins in 2

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Collins in 3

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Round
Barty​
Collins​
First Round
Tsurenko (Q) 6-0, 6-1​
Dolehide (Q) 6-1, 6-3​
Second Round
Bronzetti (Q) 6-1,6-1​
Konjuh 6-4, 6-3​
3rd Round
Giorgi [30] 6-2, 6-3​
Tauson 4-6, 6-4, 7-5​
Round of 16
Anisimova 6-4, 6-3​
Mertens (19) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4​
Quarter Final
Pegula (21) 6-2, 6-0​
Cornet 7-5, 6-1​
Semi Final
Keys 6-1, 6-3​
Swiatek (7) 6-4, 6-1​

Womens Final. Ashey Barty (1) vs. Danielle Collins (27)
7:30PM Start time

Weather: 24C Showers Easing, so it should be an outdoor match

Ash-Barty-is-the-2021-Wimbledon-champion-1024x683.jpg

Ashley Barty
Highest Rank: 1
DOB: 24th April 1996, Ipswich, Qld Australia
WTA Titles: 14

Route to final
They have both beaten 2 seeds to reach the final but in both cases, I would say their hardest matches came from unseeded players. For Barty, it came in the returning Anisimova, fresh from beating Osaka and winning the Melbourne warm-up tournament. She went closest in Barty, taking one set to 4 and being the only player to break Barty serve in this tournament. Barty has taken care of most players with relative ease, both here and in her tournament win in Adelaide. Indeed, she has the 3rd most efficient run in tournament history with 21 games conceded in 6 matches.

2021 Year in Review
For Barty, it was another end of year number 1, despite missing the last part of the year due to tiredness and border issues. Her highlight was winning Wimbledon, becoming the first Aussie girl to do so since Goolagong. But she also won titles at Miami, Cinci (WTA 1000's), Adelaide, Yarra Valley and Stuttgart. She was only beaten in one final in 2021, at the 1000 event in Madrid. She had a 42/9 record for the year. Her previous best result at the Australian Open was in 2020, where she made the semi-final before losing in 2 sets to Kenin. Her previous best grand slam result was at the French Open (2019) and Wimbledon (2021), where she won the tournament.

palermo-open-danielle-collins-makes-it-to-the-podium-with-maiden-trophy.jpg

Danielle Collins
Rank 30
Highest Rank: 14
DOB 13th December 1993, St Petersburg, Florida USA
WTA Titles: 2

Route to final
I would say unseeded Tauson, fresh from beating Kontaveit was Collins' hardest test. Collins was down 4-2 in that 2nd set before winning a close one in the heat of the morning. Collins played a lot of morning matches on RLA and her match v Mertens was very similar to her match against Tauson. Tough, tight and coming back from dropping the first set. She did not play a warm-up tournament. She easily dispatched Cornet and Swiatek, both of who had a slow start after a tough previous match.

2021 Year in Review
Collins a mixed year. She started the year as the 25th ranked player and ended it as the 29th. A 2nd round exit at Australia was followed by an extended break due to surgery. Her results were average til July when she won her first WTA tournament on the clay of Palermo. And she would win her 2nd and first hardcourt tournament shortly after at the WTA 500 event at Silicon Valley. Shortly after, she would beat Halep at Montreal. She would end the year winning more early matches she should and losing the ones she should. She would end the year with a 37/15 record. Her previous best result at the Australian Open was in 2019, where she made the semi-final before losing in 2 sets to Kenin. Her previous best grand slam result was that result at the Australian Open.

Head 2 Head
3-1 to Barty. The last match was last year on the same surface as this in Adelaide, in which Collins won 6-3, 6-4. But Barty was tired and Collins would retire in her next match due and later have surgery due to a long term issue. The more meaningful would be the 2020 Adelaide Semifinal, in which Barty would win 3-6, 6-1, 7-6(5). That is the only 2 times they have met on hardcourt.

Prediction
Collins played extremely well to thrash Swiatek and Cornet. She has fought tooth and nail against Mertens and Tauson. She will not be phased by the crowd or the atmosphere. She will have a small dedicated and loud group of fans and that's it. But she will yell and be in your face and smash the ball, especially the backhand. But Barty has been on another level this tournament. I expect the first set to be close before Barty runs away with the 2nd when she finds her groove. 6-4, 6-1 to Barty

edit

Last edited:
Surely I’m not the only one that thinks Collins will overpower her? She doesn’t seem fussed about slicing or variety and she holds her serve pretty comfortably most times. Factor in the Adelaide win over Barty too…

Collins in two tight ones for me.

Surely I’m not the only one that thinks Collins will overpower her? She doesn’t seem fussed about slicing or variety and she holds her serve pretty comfortably most times. Factor in the Adelaide win over Barty too…

Yeah I mentioned in the Thursday thread that I think collins has a good chance if she plays at the same level. Their record on a hard court is one win each. Collins won't be all that fussed by the variety from ash.

If Ash has a high first serve percentage she will win though.

Thanks BobbyMorri you have done a fantastic job with all your previews in each daily thread. Wonderful stuff and appreciated.

Both players at their best, Ash wins every time. If you go and look at Collins record against top 10 oppents it's really not that strong and I think she will struggle if Ash is on.

I've said it multiple times this week, Ash has played and beaten better base liners than Collins such as Osaka and even Asiminova this week. Collins brings nothing new to the table for her.

Collins is not at that same level, shes a bit of a journeywoman in womens tennis and this is the furthest she has ever made it in a grand slam at 28. If Ash comes out tight and nervous, then yes she might be in trouble - but if she's not then I don't see Collins posing huge problems.

Last edited:
Both players at their best, Ash wins every time. If you go and look at Collins record against top 10 oppents it's really not that strong and I think she will struggle if Ash is on.

I've said it multiple times this week, Ash has played and beaten better base liners than Collins such as Osaka and even Asiminova this week. Collins brings nothing new to the table for her.

Collins is not at that same level, shes a bit of a journeyman in womens tennis and this is the furthest she has ever made it in a grand slam at 28. If Ash comes out tight and nervous, then yes she might be in trouble - but if she's not then I don't see Collins posing huge problems.
With due respect to her you have summed it up with one word.

With due respect to her you have summed it up with one word.

I would disagree that Collins is a journeywoman. She played college so didn't hit the tour until late. She has only really been on tour for 5 years and 2 of those have been ruined by covid. She basically immediately became a top 30 player and then hard to make any additional inroads since then with the frozen rankings. Journeywoman would be an Alize Cornet who has played for 16 years and made her first QF.

I would disagree that Collins is a journeywoman. She played college so didn't hit the tour until late. She has only really been on tour for 5 years and 2 of those have been ruined by covid. She basically immediately became a top 30 player and then hard to make any additional inroads since then with the frozen rankings. Journeywoman would be an Alize Cornet who has played for 16 years and made her first QF.

She's still been on the tour since 2014 and whilst she did hit it later than others - there are likely reasons for that, being that she's not a supremely talented player.

I rate Keys much higher than Collins in terms of raw ability and Ash dispatched her in straight sets.

I'm not knocking Collins at all, but I do think people have maybe been hoodwinked a bit and are making her into something she isn't. Collins is a tough tough competitor, who puts it all behind every point.

Unfortunatley, she's going to need more than that to beat an in form Barty - in my view and she doesn't have that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know re.. yeah i know.. we're probably all feeling a lil bit flat this morning after the Tsipa loss.. lots of anomalies that went the Dev's way.. got us all feeling a lil bit flabbergasted here and that re.. but that's life re.. that's life.. it is what it is and that re.. it is what it is. Just gotta dust ourselves off and get on with it and that re.. 2 big 🏆 today.. the Bart.. and the King and Kokk mate.. will be a nice enough antidote mate.. nothing's ever a total fiasco mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

I could barely sleep last night, as most of us grew up for decades without a local singles Champion and have seen many try and fail so it feels like a bucket list item. I suspect Wimbledon will be more emotional given the circumstances (hadn't won a slam in two years despite #1 ability, the recent clay injury tragedy which saw a slam go begging and her level nervily build through the tournament), but for those of us who know the strain of the home challenge and lived through those earlier near misses, we need this!

Barty should handle her, and seems to be handling the occasion, but if there is infact a post-70s curse then we'll see it at its most exposed tonight.

Last edited:
I could barely sleep last night, as most of us grew up for decades without a local singles Champion and have seen many try and fail so it feels like a bucket list item.

Barty should handle her, and seems to be handling the occasion, but if there is infact a post-70s curse then we'll see it at its most exposed tonight.

Curses are made to be broken, just like the socceroos curse.

Back