Grand Slam Australian Open Day 13 - Barty v Collins + Mens Double final CONGRATS ASH BARTY 🏆🍸🍾

Barty v Collins

• Barty in 2

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Barty in 3

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Collins in 2

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Collins in 3

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Barty delivered an impeccable two weeks of tennis and she deserved it. Very happy for her that she was able to do that in front of her mum, dad and sister who have previously missed out on seeing her RG and Wimbledon finals in person.

That was a special night. As I mentioned in the preview, any of us under 45 have never seen an Australian win a singles grand slam title here in Melbourne and no Australian has lifted the trophy at Melbourne Park. Being a highly ranked Australian carries a lot of pressure and expectation. The experience of two slam finals wins and having been number one for a while now helped Barty maintain her composure under the pressure of a final here in Melbourne.

A good sign of how respected and well liked you are amongst your peers is what happens after success. The amount of fellow WTA players that congratulated Ash after her win last night really demonstrates it.

Collins competed very well and was Barty's most difficult opponent to beat during the tournament. She was very close to breaking her at 2-2 in the opening set and all things considered in the second set at 5-1 up, she should have managed to take that to a deciding set. Her speech was incredibly well spoken and gracious. It must be very tough to play an opponent in a final who has the full home crowd support.

That was a special moment having goolagong Cawley present the trophy. You could see how much that meant to Ash.

Lastly, Tiley has copped some criticism from general public, but it shows how respected and liked he is amongst the playing group. The group who is most important to the tournament, the players. Every single player thanks him personally in every post final ceremony. This has happened for many years actually.

I can't be the only one who is surprised there are different types of balls used for gender.

Is this strictly a thing at the US/ American tournaments or occurs across the board?
The rules around balls are fairly complex, but there is a fair amount of variation allowed - for example they can be anything between 6.54 to 6.86cm in diameter and 56 to 59.4 grams. A lot comes down to the discretion of the individual tournaments and their ball suppliers.

Generally speaking, on grass and clay you will usually see the same (surface-specific) balls used for men and women. On hardcourt (which is tougher on the balls) men will often use Extra Duty balls whilst women use Regular Duty. ED balls have tougher, thicker felt which wears better, but is heavier and fluffs up more. I believe divergence goes back to the early 2000s, when the WTA determined that they didn't really need the durability of ED, and decided RD balls made for faster/more exciting tennis.

But even within the terms 'Extra Duty' and 'Regular Duty', there is still a fair bit of variation between manufacturers (the AO uses Dunlop, the USO uses Wilson)

Another thing is that Ash only needs a single US Open final now to have a full 8x career final set in singles AND doubles (which is a rare feat nowadays, compared to 20 years or so ago).

Kuznetsova might've got closest since the WS, she had a couple singles QF at both AO and Wimbledon. Azarenka not too bad either. Clijsters might've also gone close, she was briefly No.1 in singles & doubles during 2003 but seldom did doubles thereafter. Peak Zvonareva could've also potentially done it.

Last edited:
Absolutely terrific match.
Barty an absolute legend. Love the photos with Goolagong-Cawley and Freeman together with her.
Collins was terrific, and will be disappointed she didn't win the 2nd set. A worthy opponent.

She’s a feisty competitor Collins I’m a fan after last night classy speech too

Lastly, Tiley has copped some criticism from general public, but it shows how respected and liked he is amongst the playing group. The group who is most important to the tournament, the players. Every single player thanks him personally in every post final ceremony. This has happened for many years actually.

If you had a benefactor who was handing out $75 million dollars in prizemoney, plus free flights, accomodation and not having to pay a cent for a few weeks of holidaying, you too would be thanking them regardless of how conniving they were.

She’s a feisty competitor Collins I’m a fan after last night classy speech too
Hear hear
Was cheering on Tauson and Swiatek, but Dani has won us all over, I feel.
Great speech, when you could see the hurt. Class.

Was curious to see Barty's ranking points and the updated top 10 after the AO

View attachment 1318656

Impressive. And no points to defend at Roland Garros. She could sit on a beach drinking Corona until Wimbledon and hold on to number 1 spot.
Before Paris seems she defends: 1,000 from Miami, 470 from Stuttgart & 650 from Madrid. Plus a handful of small drops including 70 at RG. But nothing to defend from Indian Wells. So should be a gain there.

Very emotional night. She has that personality where you think you actually know her so the sense of pride last night was unlike many other sporting wins I can remember.

RG and Wimbledon were amazing, but this was even better.

The perfect role model for young tennis players to look up to. You DON'T want young players to copy Kyrgios

(Log in to remove this ad.)

begged off injured in the press conference, which was a little less classy
The perfect role model for young tennis players to look up to. You DON'T want young players to copy Kyrgios

Yeah she’s going to inspire so many younger male and female players

Barty is going to make Australia tennis great

Before Paris seems she defends: 1,000 from Miami, 470 from Stuttgart & 650 from Madrid. Plus a handful of small drops including 70 at RG. But nothing to defend from Indian Wells. So should be a gain there.

Ah, my memory is failing. I thought she sat out the French last year, forgot about her injury and withdrawal in the first week of the tournament.

For a while I saw some parallels between Barty and Hewitt's reign as world number 1, which was towards the end of the Sampras/Agassi era and before the dominance of Federer/Nadal. Time will tell if Ash has a much greater longevity.

While I'm all for the recognition and celebration of Barty's achievements thus far, a statue for a 25yo sports person in the midst of her career - really, 10 years from now perhaps..?

I came 3rd in an U/14 25m backstroke event once (behind two 12yo girls), so where is my statue..?

Last edited:
While I'm all for the recognition and celebration of Barty's achievements thus far, a statue for a 25yo sports person in the midst of her career - really, 10 years from now perhaps..?

I came 3rd in an U/14 25m backstroke event once (behind two 12yo girls) so where is my statue..?

In fairness it’s in Ipswich not Melbourne Park.

Is anything better going to come out of there in next 100-1000 years? Doubt it. May as well get in before the cost of raw materials makes it too difficult

Back