Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 13, Womens Final)

Sofia Kenin v Garbine Muguruza

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The last Saturday. Several finals are going to be played during the day including the girls and boys singles finals + wheelchair finals. But all real interest will be in at night with a new first-time champion.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 32
Cooler with heavy rain and a thunderstorm; the rain will start in the morning til midnight and could get heavy
95% of Rain 10-30mm.

Rod Laver Arena
Boys Final (11:15 AM Start)
Girls Final

Women's Final: Sofia Kenin (14) v Garbine Muguruza (7:30 PM Start)
Mixed Doubles Final: BM Sands/J Murray v Krejcikova/Mektic (5)

A couple of stats. The first title that either Sofia(or Sonya) and Garbine won on the WTA tour was in Hobart. A tournament of future champions. Both girls have won more finals than they have lost, to I don't expect either to do a Safina. IIRC there have only been 2 previous non-seeded winners of the Aus Open since the start of the Open winner. And Sofia would be one of the higher seeds to win as well. So it is going to be unusual to have such a "lowly" ranked winner. I am also going to guess that there has been no player has lost their first set of a tournament 6-0(Mug v Shelby Rogers) and then won the tournament.

Head to head. Kenin 1-0. Their one only meeting being in Beijing where Kenin won in 3 sets. But I wouldn't take too much from that match. Muguruza had a shocker 2019 and such is the rate of her improvement in this tournament, let alone from last year, that it would be wise to throw that out completely. We all know what Kenin will bring. Her game has a limited upscale but she will bring it out 9 times out of 10 and fight. Muguruzas upscale is unlimited but can be patchy. At her best, she feels she can beat anyone and she is right, she can. I think Muguruza will become a 3-time grand slam champion in a nervy first set before Muguruza powers away. 7-6, 6-2.

Special note to Victora Jimenez Kasintseva. She is one of only 76,965 Andorrans in the world and she has made the girls final at 14 years of age. There is only 1 indoor tennis court in that country so it is a fair effort.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think anyone would have predicted a Kenin v. Muguruza final before the tournament but at the same time it is not a huge shock either.

When Mug is winning you just think she should be dominating the tour Serena style.

She has done her old trick of battling in the lead ups / early rounds and then flicking the switch.

All the quarters and semis ended in straights so I will go Mug in 2.

I don't think anyone would have predicted a Kenin v. Muguruza final before the tournament but at the same time it is not a huge shock either.

When Mug is winning you just think she should be dominating the tour Serena style.

She has done her old trick of battling in the lead ups / early rounds and then flicking the switch.

All the quarters and semis ended in straights so I will go Mug in 2.

Nothing is a shock with women’s tennis may as well not have seeds.

Just put on the girls final.

Weronika Baszak, the 17-year-old Pole in the final, uses a one-hand backhand. very rare in the WTA. her shot seems ungainly though. it is no CSN weapon yet. very much a weakness.

Imagine them pronouncing her name hahahahaha

Back