Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 14, Mens Final)

Thiem v Djokovic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The last day. Going a bit earlier than normal. Men's doubles around 3 PM with Polmans and Saville, the first all Aussie men's doubles finalists for 20 odd years. The men's final will start at 7:30 and is between Novak and Dominic. Plus some wheelchair finals as well. Plus fortnite at MCA

Rod Laver Arena
Men's Doubles Final: R. Ram/J. Salisbury (11) v M. Purcell/L. Saville (WC) (3 PM Start)

Men's Final: Dominic Thiem Vs Novak Djokovic (Not Before 7:30 PM)

Melbourne Forecast (Evening)
Max 13 C
Partly cloudy
No chance of rain

Head to Head. 6-4 to Novak. But Thiem has won the last 2 matches(including the EOY hardcourts) and last 2 grand slam matches(both on clay). Thiem keeps getting the GOAT at a certain event. In his previous 2 GS finals, he had to play Nadal at Roland Garros. Now, he gets to play the 7 time Champion on RLA. Sucks to be him. he gets one day less rest, but there hasn't been any correlation between that and winning the final.

I think Thiem is one of the best shots of someone beating Novak here. His backhand down the line is epic and will trouble Novak. he will move Novak to places he doesn't like. The only person to beat peak Novak at the AO was someone else who had a 1 hander backhander(a much better one though). Theim has an outstanding record against Novak. Yes, it is a losing one with a lot of matches on clay, but this is Novak we are talking about. This matchup has become very common in the 2nd week in France and Domi has cleared the Novak level there twice in the past with last years FO Semi-final being fantastic drama over 2 days. I think it will be closer than what people think. Novak in 5

BobbyMorri what a fantastic job you have done posting the preview thread for each day of the tournament. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Can't wait to watch this match, hopefully it goes to 5 sets. I also believe that the Aussie duo of Saville and Purcell will play in the Men's Doubles final at 3pm before the men's final.

BobbyMorri what a fantastic job you have done posting the preview thread for each day of the tournament. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Can't wait to watch this match, hopefully it goes to 5 sets. I also believe that the Aussie duo of Saville and Purcell will play in the Men's Doubles final at 3pm before the men's final.
Thanks on both counts. Edited the post to say 3pm now

I know it is not going to happen, but I hope they open RLA up for the mens doubles final. Get some atmosphere going. the boys deserve a crowd and if it is left to the rich folks who have final tickets, that isn't going to happen.

The more I think about it, this AO is very similar to last year. Let’s face it Novak has barely gotten out of 2nd gear over 2 weeks. In a way he had to play it like this after a taxing ATP cup. He’ll be ‘all in’ for the final thou, and much like last year no one will be able to go with him.

I second that. Cheers BobbyMorri.

Djokovic to win in 4 tight sets is my prediction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see the head to head record for Thiem and Djokovic. It's a lot closer than I thought.
Novak isn't quite ready to pass a Grand Slam winner baton onto the next gen.
Prediction: Djokovic in 4.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Interesting to see the head to head record for Thiem and Djokovic. It's a lot closer than I thought.
I don’t think most people realise how much Thiem has improved over the last couple of seasons. Over his last 5 matches against each of the big three he is:
  • 4-1 against Djokovic
  • 4-1 against Federer
  • 2-3 against Nadal (winning 2 of the last 3)
At this point, I wouldn’t bet on any of them to beat Thiem over 3 sets.

5 sets is perhaps a different story, but I still would not be at all surprised to see Thiem take his first Grand Slam title tonight.

Really hope Thiem can win, but I have voted for Djokovic in three.

In the women's and the mixed doubles the underdogs have got up, hope that's a good omen for Purcell and Saville :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Back