Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Medvedev in 4

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think footballers and cricketers deal with the same sh*t as tennis players? Who out of the 3 have got it the hardest?
Honestly id say Cricketers.

They are paid less, represent a country (so have a more rabid supporter base) and more traditionalist supporter base but honestly it doesnt matter.

You made the point that tennis players are under more scrutiny because we hear and see everything they do thats the same for every sport now.

They are paid less, represent a country (so have a more rabid supporter base) and more traditionalist supporter base but honestly it doesnt matter.

You made the point that tennis players are under more scrutiny because we hear and see everything they do thats the same for every sport now.
Yeah but the top players earns a fair bit in IPL, I think you’d be more in line saying state grade cricketers personally. I’d say tennis players have a more intense media focus as it’s a solo sport but I still don’t agree with their occasional outburst at the unpires and ball kids ….just smacks of self entitlement and knowing that they can get away with it…should be a suspension along with a fine to stamp it out.

No way.

The individualism of tennis puts way more pressure on regardless of the fan base discrepancies

The thing about Medvedev is he’s been doing this circuit for years, he’s had blow ups like this before and been fined for s**t like this in other opens too.

This isn’t an “Aussie bogans are awful and cost him the game”… it’s on him. He has and will continue to have this wherever he goes. He has to be better. He has to learn to cope and push through and find another gear in those moments, not ranting at the umpire and flipping off the crowd.

You aren’t going to win 20+ grand slams in your career losing your cool when the game isn’t going your way like a spoiled 3 year old that got told no in the chocolate aisle of a supermarket.

It’s interesting too that the places he has the most trouble with the crowds are the US and here, both hard courts and both tournaments he tends to excel in. Is that because of the crowd or in spite of it?

Last edited:
Yeah but the top players earns a fair bit in IPL, I think you’d be more in line saying state grade cricketers personally. I’d say tennis players have a more intense media focus as it’s a solo sport but I still don’t agree with their occasional outburst at the unpires and ball kids ….just smacks of self entitlement and knowing that they can get away with it…should be a suspension along with a fine to stamp it out.
I think the top tennis players earn more than the top cricketers which is backed up by Forbes 2020 earnings list. Virat Kohli is the highest paid cricketer and its by a huge margin and hes ranked 66th with 26m, there were 4 tennis players inside the top 50 with Roger at 7 with $90m.
No way.

The individualism of tennis puts way more pressure on regardless of the fan base discrepancies
Thats not what the discussion is about though. Its about the scrutiny of the on field behaviour of athletes and who has the most, not pressure.

The scrutiny on behaviour is exactly the same for all sports, id probably argue that tennis players get WAY more leeway than cricketers and footballers with regards to umpire abuse. Especially the bigger names.

Am I the only one that thought the crowd wasn’t overly bad last night? Maybe the microphones didn’t pick it up that well but it seems far worse in France and the US…

I always cringe at the umpire abuse in tennis ….there’s really no need for it

I agree with you.. it's horrible.. but some things can't be helped.. think about the game of tennis in it's entirety. 2 blokes out there going hammer and tongs.. crowd involvement after every point.. during every point.. before every point.. the high volume of points played.. the intensity of every point.. I can go on and on about it.. dynamics are a lot different to say some bloke piss farting around at 3rd man all day..

I think it's overly simplistic to call him a brat without recognising the circumstances he's playing tennis in.

He thinks some of it's due to him being Russian, maybe there's some truth in that but because he's not the silent type and because he's not Rafa or Roger, he is constantly being portrayed as an adversary. Beat Rafa or Roger in spite of the crowd is the norm for any young player on tour.

His outbursts to the ump probably aren't a product of that (even though we'll be quick to forgive R&R when they do it) but his trolling almost certainly is.

I think the top tennis players earn more than the top cricketers which is backed up by Forbes 2020 earnings list. Virat Kohli is the highest paid cricketer and its by a huge margin and hes ranked 66th with 26m, there were 4 tennis players inside the top 50 with Roger at 7 with $90m.

Thats not what the discussion is about though. Its about the scrutiny of the on field behaviour of athletes and who has the most, not pressure.

The scrutiny on behaviour is exactly the same for all sports, id probably argue that tennis players get WAY more leeway than cricketers and footballers with regards to umpire abuse. Especially the bigger names.
The big thing for tennis players is that they are the masters of their own careers. That is, there is no contract with a guarantee of payment if they have a bad injury or bad run of form. A football player can sick on the bench and do nothing and still get paid. A tennis player needs to win matches for the same reward. And a lot of them barely break even.

I would also state that tennis itself is a frustrating sport. You do the same thing over and over again, and when you or someone else makes a mistake, with tennis scoring system with how it is, it could change the match in an instant. Melbourne knew they had won the grand final with 10 mins left. The same can not be said about tennis.

Plus it is all on the individual. all eyes on you.

Tennis is nowhere near as bad as soccer is, thankfully.

The big thing for tennis players is that they are the masters of their own careers. That is, there is no contract with a guarantee of payment if they have a bad injury or bad run of form. A football player can sick on the bench and do nothing and still get paid. A tennis player needs to win matches for the same reward. And a lot of them barely break even.

I would also state that tennis itself is a frustrating sport. You do the same thing over and over again, and when you or someone else makes a mistake, with tennis scoring system with how it is, it could change the match in an instant. Melbourne knew they had won the grand final with 10 mins left. The same can not be said about tennis.

Plus it is all on the individual. all eyes on you.

Tennis is nowhere near as bad as soccer is, thankfully.
Yeh thats all fair (although that breakdown i provided of Roger before $90m in 2020 only $30k was on court) but thats not the case for all players. Im sure Medvedev already has enough money to never hold a racquet again.

For me its just not accurate to say that tennis players get more scrutiny than other sports for behaviour, i think they get far more leeway if anything. No doubt they are under pressure but all sports people are, some dont feel it as much and in Meds case he heaped alot of it on himself by being the villain, insulting and baiting the crowd and abusing umpires.

Personally i enjoyed the show but the comment in the presser smacked of a guy who cant take losing, he better learn to deal with crowds not liking him and losing matches cause both those things are inevitable at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely delighted that Rafa won for 2 reasons. First he beat a Russian who had he won Putin would have used this in as some sort of propaganda tool and that Rafa is one ahead of the spoiled brat Djokovic and will be two ahead after he wins the French open later this year

I doubt I was the only person to switch off after the second set tiebreaker. Couldn't believe it when I checked the scores.

I find the Medvedev situation odd. He has had his trantrums on tour from day one, the crowd overseas (particularly the US) have got on his back, he has owned being the villain and turned it into a positive to win a US open, now he is back sooking about it so the crowd will ride him harder moving forward 🤷‍♂️

New number one going to be as hated as the old number one

I fell asleep in fourth set but really wanted to hang around to listen to Medvedev sook it up more like a spoilt brat.
He should have won that match, he was two sets to love up and playing very well, then he plays one really dumb shot, crowd cheers for Rafal and from that point on he seemed to mentally just not be able to play like a champion but carry on like a spoilt child wanting everybody to love him but acting in a way, nobody would want to. Just comes across like a complete knob and was nice to find out after waking up this morning he got his just desserts.
I don’t think Medevev cares about the crowd tbh. He was suffering with cramp and uncomfortable. He ll always play off the fact he’s the villains and s**ts all over the ‘new generation ’ particularly the brat Tsitipas. Very similar to Novak coming onto the scene when the marvel Federer was winning. He couldn’t and still hasn’t won over the fans. And he relished that.
Medevev does always have a point with the crowd not being quiet. This is tennis, not AFL. Thought the crowd this year in all events, were pretty ordinary. Kyrgios firing them up plus a few that don’t understand tennis.

The big Russian sook threatening to miss Wimbledon and play Russian tour tournaments because at least there the crowd will love him
That part did amuse me. Like A bloody seven year old emotionally.
He just digs himself a deeper hole.
I hope one day he wakes up to himself and looks back on himself and laughs what a knob he was but I get a feeling that he will never really get it there.
Too much of the Bernard Tomic feel of being so spoilt to think he will truly grow up.

Last edited:
Medvedev needs to work out which type of player he wants be be because if he can't handle crowds being against him (hello, you're a sportsman it's going to happen) then he's never going to reach the heights of the greats.

If he doesn't want that and just wants to play in his own bubble, all the power to him

I doubt I was the only person to switch off after the second set tiebreaker. Couldn't believe it when I checked the scores.
I was convinced at one point Nadal was going out in straights sets but one stupid shot by Medvedev and some strange antics soon after meant mentally a door was open for Nadal to get back into the match. What a legend for seeing the opening and somehow pulling the whole thing off.

Medvedev should hire a sports psychologist, if he doesn't have one.

He needs to learn to control his temper and deal with the crowd. Plus, he isn't going to deal with a loud and hostile crowd in all tournaments
The commentators said he already has a sport psychologist in his team.

Back