Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Medvedev in 4

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Medvedev did also play all the crowd favs in Kyrgios, Tsitsipas and Nadal, so though I do agree with you, regardless of nationality the crowd were always going to actively barrack against him.
This is a really good point too.

I dont know if Med wants to be a heel or a face but if he does wanna be a face hes probably gotta accept that hes still not going to be the fan fave all the time.

Even Rafa generally isnt going to get the crowd when he plays Fed or when he plays a Frenchman in France etc.

This is a really good point too.

I dont know if Med wants to be a heel or a face but if he does wanna be a face hes probably gotta accept that hes still not going to be the fan fave all the time.

Even Rafa generally isnt going to get the crowd when he plays Fed or when he plays a Frenchman in France etc.

The difference is Nadal doesn't let it get to him.

If you’re critical of Med regarding the crowd, then it’s only fair you say the same thing about Rafa v the Sydney crowd at the ATP Cup final in 2020.

Rafa was INCREDIBLY annoyed and it noticeably affected his game.
Did Rafa then come out and say the crowd has ruined his childhood dream and he might not play in majors anymore?

If you’re critical of Med regarding the crowd, then it’s only fair you say the same thing about Rafa v the Sydney crowd at the ATP Cup final in 2020.

Rafa was INCREDIBLY annoyed and it noticeably affected his game.

you need to look at the wording rafa used.

he did not call spectators idiots. He was able to criticize them without being insulting or degrading.

Medvedev did also play all the crowd favs in Kyrgios, Tsitsipas and Nadal, so though I do agree with you, regardless of nationality the crowd were always going to actively barrack against him.
Yep- Medvedev really lucked out by playing those 3 with the Greek support in Melbourne and the place Rafa holds here. He could have played 3 whoever’s and he would have been more happy. Regardless, he’s a great player and he just has to grow up a bit and stop the nutty ranting and silly sooking. He’s an interesting character and witty and I’m happy to let him grow on me but just cut that crap out.

he did not call spectators idiots. He was able to criticize them without being insulting or degrading.
He still criticised them and was visibly pissed off during his match against Novak.

You can see why Med crumbled the same way Nadal did.

He still criticised them and was visibly pissed off during his match against Novak.

You can see why Med crumbled the same way Nadal did.
I think thats a seperate (if related discussion).

Did the crowd affect both players, it certainly seems so.

Did both players pretty pointedly and in a derogatory way criticize the crowd, not really.

Did both players come out after the loss and blame the crowd and say they didnt want to play anymore, no... definitely not.

Medvedev is a hot headed Russian. I think you'll find there are quite a few over there.

It's a culture thing. That's the way they are and they'll tell it like it is without mincing words, and no one gives it any thought. Serbia is the same. Slavs. That's why all those supporters are considered obnoxious. It's normal though.

You have someone in Australia like that and they're called campaigners. Just look at reality TV shows. You get people like that all the time and they're pillared. Folks keep going back for more of it though, to be outraged even more.

Last edited:
Medvedev is a hot headed Russian. I think you'll find there are quite a few over there.

It's a culture thing. That's the way they are and they'll tell it like it is without mincing words, and no one gives it any thought. Serbia is the same. Slavs. That's why all those supporters are considered obnoxious. It's normal though.

You have someone in Australia like that and they're called campaigners. Just look at reality TV shows. You get people like that all the time and they're pillared. Folks keep going back for more of it though, to be outraged even more.
Because the Spanish are not renowned for being passionate and hot headed?

Because the Spanish are not renowned for being passionate and hot headed?

Not sure about others but their tennis players?

Let’s see.
Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario? Robot
Her two brothers? Robots
Conchita Martinez? Robot
Carlos Moya? Robot
Juan Carlos Ferrero? Robot
Albert Costa? Robot
Rafael Nadal? Passionate, but a robot

The dude's an enigma, it's impossible to figure him out
I do not think there is a lot to figure out. He is just a talented spoilt brat that wants to be adored and wallowing in the wake up call that the dream of a little kid in him of being great at tennis and being adored by crowds is not his reality. Which should be easy to figure out why. Be great, don't be just another talented spoilt brat that wastes it all and never learns anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s see.
Her two brothers? Robots
Conchita Martinez? Robot
Carlos Moya? Robot
Albert Costa? Robot
Carreno Busta can be fiery

also, on crowds. They need to crack down on the idiots. It's beyond a joke. Massive issues all tournament. This is not a football match, it is tennis. Yelling out crap about "going back to Russia" should see someone get chucked out and banned for the rest of the event.

On Medvedev, I believe he expressed regret about his reaction in the semi final. But he is a very funny bloke normally when he is grumpy

Last edited:

Let’s see.
Her two brothers? Robots
Conchita Martinez? Robot
Carlos Moya? Robot
Albert Costa? Robot
I more meant spanish people in general, renowned as passionate and fiery but honestly off that list Vicario and Moya had some very famous blowouts, then add in Corretja, Verdasco.

In contrast plenty of russian robots, Sharapova, Dementiava, Kirilenko, Bogamolov.

I think Medvedev isnt defined or excused just by being Russian.

Interesting post-match interview/sookfest.

He was always going to have the crowd against him against Kyrios. Instead of fanning the flames by gesturing to the crowd after winning the match and calling Australian tennis fans low IQ he probably should have reined himself in. There was a big target on his back from the get go.

Against Tsitsipas he had a similarly one-sided crowd due the number of Greek fans in Melbourne.

There's something to be said for the crowd booing, but Danil needs to take some responsibility for his role in bringing the crowd against him over the course of the tournament. Some of the jabs were pretty classless - the crowd feedback should have been expected.

Edit - forgot about the dumb tantrums levelled at the match umpires, seemingly every game.

Back