Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing about Medvedev is he’s been doing this circuit for years, he’s had blow ups like this before and been fined for sh*t like this in other opens too.

This isn’t an “Aussie bogans are awful and cost him the game”… it’s on him. He has and will continue to have this wherever he goes. He has to be better. He has to learn to cope and push through and find another gear in those moments, not ranting at the umpire and flipping off the crowd.

You aren’t going to win 20+ grand slams in your career losing your cool when the game isn’t going your way like a spoiled 3 year old that got told no in the chocolate aisle of a supermarket.

It’s interesting too that the places he has the most trouble with the crowds are the US and here, both hard courts and both tournaments he tends to excel in. Is that because of the crowd or in spite of it?
Yep.

Nadal definitely fed off it when he started loosing his cool. As a player it would be a boost seeing your opponent ranting about ball boys, the odd dickhead yelling out etc.

It’s always funny the tennis players who carry on like he does then act bemused when the crowd doesn’t like them.

Sure the crowd wasn’t great but even Rafa and Novak have copped similar hostility over the years against Roger.

In the 2019 Wimbledon final the whole crowd wanted Federer to win. There were dickheads in the crowd too. Novak blocked it out and made an amazing comeback.

Tennis is a massive mental game and you’ll keep running into issues in grand slams if you can’t reign in the temper from time to time.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The big Russian sook threatening to miss Wimbledon and play Russian tour tournaments because at least there the crowd will love him
Cant belive he said that.

It's like I said does he want the crowd to hate him? the crowd will never accpet him if he keeps chucking a tanty during a match every time.

Just because you are number 2# dosen't entile you to be automatically adored by the crowd you have to earn that right imo

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
About to start watching the match, will see how fast I can get through it (speeding through Rafa's delay of serve, commercial breaks etc :p)

Most of them ? :p

So you've had an active interest and enthusiasm for doubles tennis for a while eh.. yeah no worries re.

Last edited:

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it's overly simplistic to call him a brat without recognising the circumstances he's playing tennis in.

He thinks some of it's due to him being Russian, maybe there's some truth in that but because he's not the silent type and because he's not Rafa or Roger, he is constantly being portrayed as an adversary. Beat Rafa or Roger in spite of the crowd is the norm for any young player on tour.

His outbursts to the ump probably aren't a product of that (even though we'll be quick to forgive R&R when they do it) but his trolling almost certainly is.

Roger used to be a brat, then he calmed down and became the greatest player ever. Well, he was until yesterday.

Finished watching the match again, can't believe Rafa had the energy to do his shadow boxing celebration!

Also I know its common place for the winner and loser to jet out the day after or 2 days after the final (gotta prepare for an upcoming event) but if I were in their shoes I'd stay a few extra days and do touristy stuff.

So you had a spare 5 hours ...😯.

I agree that the crowd is extremely disrespectful but I'm not sure what more the umpire can do about it? He can't eject half the fans in the building.

I suggest that if you eject a few at the beginning of the match then the message would get through.

Re crowds .

With Covid noone has seen any live sport or music or anything .

People are going to off chops .

Every tennis person knows to no talk duing serves etc.

Seriously - The whole world has suffered through COVID lockdowns - You did not have the same issue at Roland Garros or Wimbledon in 2021.

I remember the crowd for the Azarenka v Li Na final, where Azarenka was enemy number 1.

This crowd is more hostile than that

The strangest thing is that Azarenka was booed because of injury breaks and her screeching - Yet, Rafa is known to stretch the rules in a game and he also grunts - I am very critical of people who are selective in their actions.

Its anecdotal so ultimately a pointless argument but my recollection of the US last year was there was a pretty similar amount. I actually think theyve kind of given up at the French and just let them go. If youve ever been to Rolland Garros a number of the outside courts can be seen from outside of the venue (on the street) so plenty of "fans" go there and cheer and carry on and the umpire cant do anything about it.

The difference at the US Open ( it doesn't make it right ) is the overt barracking occurs when a US player is on court - We had a Spaniard and a Russian playing in the final, and what made it even stranger was that the crowd was better behaved during the Women's final.

I understand the pressure, but the problem is he seems to always talk down to and insult people, no need to do that…just ask politely if you need something. Looks like a typical spoilt brat to me, like he’s used to talking to servants like that or something…’idiots’ low IQ’ etc. It’s not endearing at all, especially when you direct your frustration at volunteer kids 😐

Australian's seem to have an obsession with using the term 'spoilt brat' to describe tennis players - We would do better if we actually showed greater support for these tennis players at the Australian Open - After all we enjoy the privilege of having elite athletes at our doorstep but yet parts of society and the media want to use derogatory terms to describe tennis players - The behaviour of fans is by far a bigger issue - Australia needs to get better and more proactively support the biggest annual sporting event held in Australia.

Last edited:
I think it's overly simplistic to call him a brat without recognising the circumstances he's playing tennis in.

He thinks some of it's due to him being Russian, maybe there's some truth in that but because he's not the silent type and because he's not Rafa or Roger, he is constantly being portrayed as an adversary. Beat Rafa or Roger in spite of the crowd is the norm for any young player on tour.

His outbursts to the ump probably aren't a product of that (even though we'll be quick to forgive R&R when they do it) but his trolling almost certainly is.

At the post-match presser, Medvedev was asked if him being Russian contributed to the booing he received at the OZ Open - He answered in the negative.

2023 should be a better year for the Aussie Open then the last two years - The return of overseas visitors and more interstate visitors means you have more genuine tennis fans at the tennis, as opposed to theatregoers and a Melbourne centric crowd - It also helps with the general vibe and color at the tournament, especially in the first week - And most importantly we have all the best players at the tournament.

The strangest thing is that Azarenka was booed because of injury breaks and her screeching - Yet, Rafa is known to stretch the rules in a game and he also grunts - I am very critical of people who are selective in their actions.
Yet never critical of Novax's illegal actions? Interesting.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Australian's seem to have an obsession with using the term 'spoilt brat' to describe tennis players - We would do better if we actually showed greater support for these tennis players at the Australian Open - After all we enjoy the privilege of having elite athletes at our doorstep but yet parts of society and the media want to use derogatory terms to describe tennis players - The behaviour of fans is by far a bigger issue - Australia needs to get better and more proactively support the biggest annual sporting event held in Australia.
If you’re going to be overly critical about the crowds and throw around insults while abusing ball kids and the unpires you can’t then expect the crowd to be warm towards you .

He made his own problems compounded by his massive sook that he doesn’t want to play majors anymore because his feelings were hurt

He’s a grade A *******

If you’re going to be overly critical about the crowds and throw around insults while abusing ball kids and the unpires you can’t then expect the crowd to be warm towards you .

He made his own problems compounded by his massive sook that he doesn’t want to play majors anymore because his feelings were hurt

He’s a grade A *******
I warmed to him and I enjoy his tennis but his immaturity and mean streak tipped me against him.
He can be funny and is no doubt a smart young man. I already put up with one emotional baby on the tour.
I turn off Nick K too,when he swings at the ump or the crowd or his own team in thr box.
Don't have room for another who even goes the ball kids ffs!

Still I'll be cheering for him every time against Novax.

So you had a spare 5 hours ...😯.

Well my grand final rewatches are a minimum of 3 hours or up to 4 (if I watch the pre game stuff too lol). If I have nothing on during a weekend, I can marathon a tv series (24 episodes) in 8 hours with breaks in between. So actually watching content isn't a bother nor for me. I know people that find joy in watching boats sail around on water for hours on end - when I find that uninteresting (Different strokes for different folks).

In the case of the mens final the recording was over 7 hours in length, chopped out the last 40 minutes eg watching Rafa do his warm down exercises, and the first 40ish minutes (pre game, national anthem etc). I did skip through a lot of the first 2 sets (watched it through a speed up feature). But the last 3 sets were only skipped when at the rest breaks.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

I understand the pressure, but the problem is he seems to always talk down to and insult people, no need to do that…just ask politely if you need something. Looks like a typical spoilt brat to me, like he’s used to talking to servants like that or something…’idiots’ low IQ’ etc. It’s not endearing at all, especially when you direct your frustration at volunteer kids 😐

But a mob boo is fine and accepted. It isn't a football match, but folks have turned it into that. I agree with him, booing, jeering is low IQ and poor tennis etiquette. Being Russian, he isn't going to mince words. That's what Slavs do. That's where he erred. Australian's frown against that. But booing and jeering? Wow! Go for your life mate!! It's as Australian as a meat pie!

Re Ball kids and the distribution of balls, that's his thing - like Djokovic bouncing the ball a million time (not surprisingly something else that irks a lot of folks who watch tennis). But Rafa picking his arse crack, adjusting his top, wiping his brow and nose before every point. All ok!!

"Low iq" a classic narcissist statement by a rich tennis player.

What he did to the chair umpires was worse then he plays the violin strings lol,Turn it up!

Some nutcase Anti vaxxer blamed the vaccine for the crowd display on soshal medya.

World is mad.

Back