Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
A huge 95 matches will be played. A lot of tennis will go into the night. Court 8, for example, has 7 matches scheduled. what a day to have a ground pass. Even the main courts look interesting.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max-23
Partly sunny and pleasant
40% of morning rain (.4mm)

Rod Laver Arena
Mladenovic v Pliskova (2)
Vekic (19) v Sharapova
Nadal (1) v Dellien

NIGHT
Medvedev (4) v Tiafoe
Cocciaretto v Kerber (17)

Margaret Court Arena
Bencic (6) v Schmieds (203)
Mannarino v Thiem (5)
Tomljanovic v Sevastova (13)

NIGHT
Brady v Halep (4)
Cecchinato v Zverev (7)

Melbourne Arena
Hercog v Peterson (okay....the Swedes will love it)
Keys (10) v Kasatkina
Dzumhur v Wawrinka (15)

AFTER 4PM/7PM
Popyrin v Tsonga (28)
Kyrgios (23) v Sonego

The Rest

it is an interesting schedule with Medvedev, who is not a big name, headlining the night session on the main court. The AO likes to have Nick on the party court, a night time Melbourne Arena, rather than the "boring" corporates of RLA. I do hope the people who have RLA tickets stay to watch Daniil. A legit contender who loves to troll you afterwards if you treat him like crap. Plays last year quarter-finalist(Tiafoe), which is the only good thing Tiafoe did last year. How is ranked 50th with all those points is anyones guess.

On the womens side, I expect Kiki and Brady to really test their opponents. Kiki is a huge wildcard and plays a style Pliskova will not like. I think Vekic will beat Sharapova. I would tip Tomljanovic to make it through as well.

A lot of Aussies will be playing tomorrow. You have the 3 above(Nick, Popyrin and Tomljanovic) plus

Court 3
Millman v Humbert (1st up)
Thompson v Bubilk (2)

Court 7
Sinner v Purcell (2) 7-6, 6-2, 4-4
Polmans v Kukushkin (3)
Bolt v Ramos-Vinolas(4)
Kozlova v Hon (7th match)

Court 8
Ducky v Bedene (3)
Bondarenko v Rodionova (4)
Sharma v (28 )Kontaveit (6th match)

Court 19
C.O'Connell v (17) Rublev (5)

We went 1-4 on Monday with Barty Winning in 3 but Harris, Stosur, Cabrera and Smith all losing in straight sets.

My Match of the Day
Bencic (6) v Schmieds (203)
I would love a ticket to MCA to watch this rematch of the 2018 Hobart Semifinal ;). Can Bencic beat herself and get revenge?

95 is incredible. If completed would that be a record for the most grand slam singles matches played in a day?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don't really get why the in progress matches have all been put on second... the Raonic match could only last 2 games but they've gotta wait for another match first.

Don’t agree with it but that’s the way they have done it worldwide at all Slams basically so there must be a reason to it.

bye bye Konta.

Surprise for sure. Konta has always done well in Melbourne. But Janeur has a good record against her. Good for African Tennis.

Is Konta fit? I know she had a few injuries the back end of last season. Did she play any warmup games?

Has she? Semi and a quarter a few years ago but last two have been 2nd round exits.

Still a dangerous floater. Gut feeling is she still isn't fit anyway. I wouldn't have confidently tipped her that's for sure. Konta has done better on clay recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really get why the in progress matches have all been put on second... the Raonic match could only last 2 games but they've gotta wait for another match first.
I'm assuming it's for recovery reasons. The players waiting around yesterday would have had a late day, so a later start helps them.

what is the slowest speed possible on the serve speed gun??

Schmieds is giving it a shot. 106KM second serve. needs to do an Errani and start serving underarm. Make no mistake, She is beating Bencic in the rallies ATM. It is why she had a double break. but........

(Kiki looks to be doing similar things)

Why oh why oh why.

She had 2 game points to make it 4-0 in the 2nd serve. Now Bencic is back to 3 all. What odds do I get that this will finish in 10 mins 6-3, 6-3.

there have been some ripping rallies in this match. Schmieds and her angles would be something a geometry teacher would love

Remove this Banner Ad

Back