Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Hewitt definitely was at the Kyrgios match last night.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Will probably subtlety complain.
Hewitt was at de Minaur’s match. But not at Kyrgios, Tomic, Kokkinias, Millman’s. Hard to deny he does have his favourite(s) Aussie.

Why would Lleyton pick 2 unreliable players, when he has more than enough who really want to give their all..

They might not be as talented, but at least he knows they will be trying and won't spit the dummy.

Kyrgios and Tomic are being left behind while they are bitching and whinging about how bad they have it, while the other players just go ahead, grateful for what they have....

It's a bit bloody hard to be at multiple games at the same time.

Millman is a grown man, you'd be able to call him a veteran by now. The DeMoN is young and needs a guiding hand. Tomic, Kyrgios and the Kokk are old enough to look after themselves. Their attitudes in recent years, they don't deserve Hewitt's help. They've made their bed, time to lie in it. Bunch of cry baby sooks.
Tomic has definitely made his. Kyrgios is one coach, one off season away from really challenging. He is a great Davis Cup player, he does give his all.
Just feel Hewitt is too involved in a lot of Aussie’s careers when he should be retired and taking a break. It’s a bit much at times.

^ When will the Davis Cup squad be announced?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hewitt was at de Minaur’s match. But not at Kyrgios, Tomic, Kokkinias, Millman’s. Hard to deny he does have his favourite(s) Aussie.

Dunno, de Minaur is younger and probably needs more guidance. He plays similarly to Hewitt so both probably think Hewitt can offer more effective advice to him.

Hewitt was at the Kyrgios match to apparently but with Kyrgios's volatile whinging self centred character it would be difficult not to be a bit standoffish with him!!!

I think the trouble is the traits of Tomic have created a lazy whinging culture within some contemporary players distracting their career focus and development and frankly I think some are coming to a fork in the road where, whether they like it or not at least Tomic needs to go one way and Hewitt the other and since Tomic is not a team player hopefully the others are smart enough to fall behind Hewitt as captain because there sure as hell is no Davis Cup future with Tomic leading the way!!!

Day 3 - Seeds Out:

(5) Kevin Anderson - 4810 - Defending 10 - Gains 35 - New Points: 4845
(9) Kiki Bertens - 4490 - Defending 130 - Loses 60 - New Points: 4430
(20) Anett Kontaveit - 2525 - Defending 240 - Loses 170 - New Points: 2355
(24) Lesia Tsurenko - 1896 - Defending 70 - Loses 0 - New Points: 1896
(29) Donna Vekic - 1580 - Defending 70 - Loses 0 - New Points: 1580
(30) Gael Monfils - 1195 - Defending 45 - Loses 0 - New Points: 1195

He was at Nick’s match. I watch nearly all Millman’s matches, Hewitt regularly attends those, characteristically shouting encouragement. We notice him mostly at Alex’s matches because (a) the media points it out ad nauseum and (b) Alex progresses further in tournaments than anyone else so Hewitt attends his games more often! You’d think people would be happy he’s taking his role as DC captain so seriously.

De Minaur is just a male Wozniaki pusher
Any chance of Alex not pushing and playing safe, boring tennis
Hit a winner you mug
Jesus you are daft. He's 19 and is incredible at running down shots. It's obvious to everyone except you apparently that physically he just doesn't have the strength of the older guys. So when they start to overpower him, he falls back to his strength which is staying in the point. Add to that fatigue, again from not having the same conditioning as the more experienced players, and he loses power in his shots as matches drag on.

I'll reiterate. He's 19. Has so much ahead of him yet. Don't be an idiot.

Jesus you are daft. He's 19 and is incredible at running down shots. It's obvious to everyone except you apparently that physically he just doesn't have the strength of the older guys. So when they start to overpower him, he falls back to his strength which is staying in the point. Add to that fatigue, again from not having the same conditioning as the more experienced players, and he loses power in his shots as matches drag on.

The comparison is the best bit.

A 3 x time slam winner, at 3 different slams in probably the strongest era for tennis ever.

He beat Djokovic (2) and Nadal (1) to win his Aus Open, the first person to beat the top 2 seeds on route to win a slam in 20 years.

He again beat the world no.1 in a final to win his French Open and prevented Djokovic winning a calendar slam.

Then turns around beats Djokovic again in the 2016 US Open, despite it being the Jokers 8th consecutive grand slam final.

He had a streak of winning 14 consecutive tour finals he was in, included with that was a 2-0 record against Djokovic in slam finals and winning a Davis Cup.

The only slam final Wawrinka has lost, is to Nadal on clay and during Djokovic's 8 consecutive grand slam final appearances, the only 2 slams he lost during that time were both to Warwinka, he's one of the best clutch pressure players of the last 20 years.

His record is pretty ordinary against the big 4 as a whole, but has took every single one of them apart, multiple time, in big tournaments, when it matters.

Would be a real shame if that was the extent of De Minaurs career o_O

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comparison is the best bit.

A 3 x time slam winner, at 3 different slams in probably the strongest era for tennis ever.

He beat Djokovic (2) and Nadal (1) to win his Aus Open, the first person to beat the top 2 seeds on route to win a slam in 20 years.

He again beat the world no.1 in a final to win his French Open and prevented Djokovic winning a calendar slam.

He had a streak of winning 14 consecutive finals he was in, uncluded with that was a 2-0 record against Djokovic in slam finals and winning a Davis Cup.

The only slam final Wawrinka has lost, is to Nadal on clay, he's one of the best clutch pressure players of the last 20 years.

Would be a real shame if that was the extent of De Minaurs career o_O
Agree that Wawrinka is great but he said Wozniacki :p

Each to their own I’ll back my judgement. I’ve said he’s 19, but I’ve said he needs shots and to develop shots. His defence is there it won’t win Slams by itself though.

I’d be expecting Zverev, Tsipatas, etc to be more likely especially the second one. That’s a personal view.

Each to their own I’ll back my judgement. I’ve said he’s 19, but I’ve said he needs shots and to develop shots. His defence is there it won’t win Slams by itself though.

I’d be expecting Zverev, Tsipatas, etc to be more likely especially the second one. That’s a personal view.
We keep talking about de Minaur being the next best player but no mention of other young players coming up who are actually potential grand Slam winners or top 10 players

Khachanov, Medevdev, Tsistipas, Coric, Shapovalov, Popyrin( I don't mind his game but still still developing his game).

But you're commenting in the moment where that clearly hasn't been developed yet and now seem to be discarding the possibility of him ever doing it.

We keep talking about de Minaur being the next best player but no mention of other young players coming up who are actually potential grand Slam winners or top 10 players

Khachanov, Medevdev, Tsistipas, Coric, Shapovalov, Popyrin( I don't mind his game but still still developing his game).

Exactly there are so many young players and they all have weapons. Add Zverev in there too.

But you're commenting in the moment where that clearly hasn't been developed yet and now seem to be discarding the possibility of him ever doing it.

All I see him is being a Ferrer or Nalbandian type (that’s not a bad thing both were top 5, but never really were Slam material) and that’s an honest opinion. Can he improve sure, but I’m backing a few others to do that as well.

Let’s wait and see.

All I see him is being a Ferrer or Nalbandian type (that’s not a bad thing both were top 5, but never really were Slam material) and that’s an honest opinion. Can he improve sure, but I’m backing a few others to do that as well.

Let’s wait and see.

I agree with you, but I also think that level of player can sneak a slam or 2 in a different era. The last 15 years aren't the norm for top end talent, once in a generation type stuff.

I agree with you, but I also think that level of player can sneak a slam or 2 in a different era. The last 15 years aren't the norm for top end talent, once in a generation type stuff.

Yep draws will come into it too. There’s no Novak’s, Federer’s or Nadal’s in this next generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back