Australian Open Day 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know why Roger Federer consistently plays night matches here in Melbourne? At least over the last year or so. I get that he's a primetime player and RLA would sell out for one of his matches, but out of fairness, shouldn't his schedule be a little more flexible? The other stars like Rafa, Serena, Djokovic etc play on RLA but still play plenty of day matches, but I don't recall Federer having any day matches last year. I'm sure the others would like a turn in the cooler conditions at night

Day 4 predictions:
Sharapova over Sevastova in 2
Muguruza over Hsieh in 2
Djokovic over Monfils in 4
Barty over Giorgi in 3
Federer over Struff in 3
Thiem over Kudla in 3
Kerber over Vekic in 2
Keys over Alexandrova in 2
Halep over Bouchard in 3
Wawrinka over Sandgren in 3
Garcia over Vondrousova in 2
Pliskova over Maia in 2
Del Potro over Khachanov in 5
Zverev over Gojowyck in 3
Konta over Pera in 2
Berdych over G-Lopez in 4
Goffin over Benneteau in 3
Querrey over Fucsovics in 3
Safarova over Cirstea in 3
Gasquet over Sonego in 3
Ramos over Smyzek in 4
Lucic Baroni over Sashnovich in 3
Fognini over Donskoy in 4
Radwanska over Tsurenko in 3
Putinseva over Bogdan in 2
Medvedev over Chung in 4
Verdasco over Martrev in 3
Lacko over Kicker in 3
Mannarino over Vesely in 3
Strycova over Arrauabeena in 2
Petkovic over Davis in 3

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why Roger Federer consistently plays night matches here in Melbourne? At least over the last year or so. I get that he's a primetime player and RLA would sell out for one of his matches, but out of fairness, shouldn't his schedule be a little more flexible? The other stars like Rafa, Serena, Djokovic etc play on RLA but still play plenty of day matches, but I don't recall Federer having any day matches last year. I'm sure the others would like a turn in the cooler conditions at night

Fed gets to play whenever he wants, a night session with either Nadal or Djokovic would sell out as well. I don't think it's fair that he gets to run the show.

Has anyone ever been when it's almost 40 degrees? Shocking day for players and fans, was gonna pop in tomorrow but stuff that.

The organisers like Federer, and of course he prefers to play at night (better conditions). I am sure if Novak or Nadal played at RLA in the evening, the tickets will still sell. (not sure if I've heard correctly, usually the tournament organisers ask the top players' their preferences - eg Nick likes playing at Hisense)

I am just surprised Monfils v Novak is not a night match at RLA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fed gets to play whenever he wants, a night session with either Nadal or Djokovic would sell out as well. I don't think it's fair that he gets to run the show.

Has anyone ever been when it's almost 40 degrees? Shocking day for players and fans, was gonna pop in tomorrow but stuff that.
Was there in 2014 on the first Tuesday when it was 42 as I had RLA tickets thankfully in the shade but it was unbearable. The outside courts were like a Ghost town. Of course Hewitt went 5 sets (he did that a lot on the Tuesday afternoon) and the day session didn't finish to around 8pm.

Sharapova-Sevastova
Djokovic-Monfils
Del Potro-Khachanov
Medvedev-Chung

Have the most faith in Del Potro-Khachanov and least faith in Djokovic-Monfils. I could see Court 7 having a few topsy turvy epics if conditions allow.

On hot days, the Sydney International regularly gets to around 45-50 on court. Audience must take breaks in the shade after each set as well.

The horrific 2009 bushfires (west melbourne was 48 degrees) were on the day of the women's final (which by then had moved to evening finals I believe). The Junior Singles/Doubles finals were on RLA and Margaret Court respectively. I hope those MC Doubles finals for the juniors were later in the day, that would have been murder.

Last edited:
Would much rather watch thiem play than either of the two women's matches that they have on now. I guess this is how 7 get people to use their shitty app

What's the other women's match?

They should ban sharapova, the screaming is pathetic and impossible to watch.
Just outlaw the ridiculous ******* noises, she will soon learn.

They should ban sharapova, the screaming is pathetic and impossible to watch.
Just outlaw the ridiculous ******* noises, she will soon learn.
Of course it should be banned. And then we'll get the same people say the opponent should block it out, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm at rod laver now and I just want to leave because it's so bloody annoying. A person of Sharapova size and weight does not need to make this sound on second serves, slices and routine rally shots.

Of course it should be banned. And then we'll get the same people say the opponent should block it out, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm at rod laver now and I just want to leave because it's so bloody annoying. A person of Sharapova size and weight does not need to make this sound on second serves, slices and routine rally shots.

A few years ago I watched Sharapova practicing and she wasn't shrieking at all. If it's an essential part of your tennis shots wouldn't you be doing it when practicing as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back