• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Farewell Nadal. The defending champ has lost his racquet in what looked like his final game in Melbourne. Probably the biggest story of the week. He and Kasatkina are the significant seeds who lost today(so far). A lot of Tennis is still to be played tonight, as they attempt to catch up. I am confused with what is going on, but that happens when mother nature messing up the schedule. Still, I think they will catch up on the singles by the end of tmw.

Weather. Cloudy 19C. Low low chance of rain.
Rest of week. No major issues at all.

RLA 11am
Sabalenka (5) - Rogers
Brooksby (Q) - Ruud (2)
Fernandez - Garcia
7pm
Couacaud (Q) - Djokovic (4)
Vondrousova - Jabeur (2)

MCA 11am
Volynets (Q) - Kudermetova (9)
Kontaviet (16) - Linette
M Mmoh (LL) - Zverev (12)
7pm
Bencic (12) - Liu
Murray - Kokkinakis

JCA 11am
Townsend (WC)-Alexandrova (19)
Davis - Mertens (26)
Frizt (8) -Popyrin (WC)
7pm
Mannarino -De Minaur (22)

De Minaur and Kokk, both on at night. Poppy is in the afternoon slot, with Kimmy Birrell probably the match before. Ch.9 might have had some say there. Some people will be happy to see Kudermetova on a main court this early on. I do think the best match matches will be 2 former grand slam finalists taking on high seeds in the womens. LL Fernandez looked good against Cornet and it will be a good watch to see if she can trouble Garcia. Huge match for Garcia. This is the sort of match she would lose in grand slams. It is a big big match for both players. It should be very good. Vondrousova is coming back from another injury but people often forget it was she who lost to Barty in the French Open final. Tough draw for Ons continues.

Match of the Day
Murray v Kokkinakis. Who knows how Murray will back up after a 5 setter? I don't think he will be great. I recall past efforts. Murray has really struggled to back up big matches, which is understandable with a metal hip. Last year, he had a 5 setter in the first round and then lost to Taro Daniel. Though Kokkinakis had to finish off his game today, it wasn't really a taxing first round. This has now turned into a great draw for Kokkinakis, who I think will feast on the scraps of Murrays hard fought win on Tuesday.
Kokkinakis in 4.

Jeremy Chardy ranked 968 in the world - He'll be lucky to take more than six games off Evans I reckon

EDIT - Already one on the board - he might make me eat my words lol

Charts has been seeded heaps higher in the past. It will be a long match Evans rarely thrashes players

Same - but the way Kokki played against Fognini was formidable. Even without Flog tanking he looked ferocious. In good form.

It’s only Fognini lol this will be a lot harder and Murray is the worst type as he gets extra balls back.

It’s only Fognini lol this will be a lot harder and Murray is the worst type as he gets extra balls back.
I just don't trust his body. Hope I'm wrong I'd love to see a five setter and even though I'm a fan of the Kokk I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Scot get up. One of my favourite players on tour is Murray

I just don't trust his body. Hope I'm wrong I'd love to see a five setter and even though I'm a fan of the Kokk I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Scot get up. One of my favourite players on tour is Murray

Both blokes have very fragile bodies anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Stosur has played her last women's doubles at the AO. Lost in straight sets, though her partnership with Alize Cornet was a last minute thing due to the withdrawal of Ajla Tomljanović.

Good luck to her and Matt Ebden in the mixed. Be great to see her finish her career with one more Slam title.

Would be Cornets last Aus Open I feel. She has talked about it in the past. I wouldn't be shocked if she retires after the French this year.

Lots of great memories here for her, such as last year and the title in Hobart.

Bad ones as well, such as the collapse against Safina in 09(?), but more good than bad. Great personality and holds the record for most consecutive Grand Slam appearances with 64.

Kudermetova one game away from being dispatched. Wow.

Just wonder if she actually was fit, looked half fit round 1 (after pulling out of Adelaide).

Horrific loss, least Alexandrova won

Back