Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was 8-6 up it definitely would’ve been a different story. Stopped playing with freedom when the gap widened and when Fed got on a roll it was tough to stop

Yup, just like Fed did in Wimby '19 final.

I would actually love to see a new GS winner this year.
Not going to happen while the Australian Open keep favourably drawing Federer for cushy night games and the federation let the big three juice.

Why?

Aren't people allowed to cheer a clutch match point?

I think it's pushing it a bit if you're suggesting the cheering is all for Federer when in fact, they were cheering an awesome game of tennis.

Watching the match, there was plenty of cheering for Millman when he had his chances and took them. It's not as one-sided as people are suggesting here; you're just disappointed he lost, which is fair enough.
Are you serious?

Do you cheer the opposition when your Blueboys miss a set shot at the death to win the game?

Yeah, righto matey.

Not going to happen while the Australian Open keep favourably drawing Federer for cushy night games and the federation let the big three juice.
Favour?

He's not beating either Nadal or Djokovic in this form. In fact, the conditions are going to suite Djokovic a lot better. Quit the crap about it being some kind of "conspiracy", reason he plays night matches is because it generates more $$$ - that is just a fact.

Are you serious?

Do you cheer the opposition when your Blueboys miss a set shot at the death to win the game?

Yeah, righto matey.
This isn't Davis Cup or ATP Cup or the Olympics. The players are pretty much representing themselves, nationality takes a backseat. It's nothing like a football team. I don't "barrack" for Australian tennis players (the last one I did was Rafter).

This isn't Davis Cup or ATP Cup or the Olympics. The players are pretty much representing themselves, nationality takes a backseat. It's nothing like a football team. I don't "barrack" for Australian tennis players (the last one I did was Rafter).
I do think that some players go out there feeling like they not only represent themselves, but their country as well. I think the number of players would be significant. Ask Barty whether she feels like she represents Australia, can be sure of the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So disappointed :( I never got to see the match where Millman beat Federer at the US Open so really wanted to see him win this.

To all who think he choked, you try playing a fifth set tiebreaker against Federer and see how you go. If Federer had lost would he have choked?

Agree, the pressure out there would be so great. Occasionally someone like John can cause an upset but it is rare that this type of scenario happens and it crushes everyone supporting that person if it doesn’t happen, bc it’s a miracle when it does happen but someone like Federer has been in tougher situations than tonight before and succeeded tbh that is what a champion like him does gets out of sticky situations. As I said it sometimes rarely happens that there’s an upset but not this time unfortunately. John needs to walk away from this and be proud. I am sure proud of him. Always will be. Good work.

Why should tennis fans blindly support the Australian players? I guarantee most people there have spent a lot time and effort following Federer’s career than Millman’s. Even if you want to support the Australian supporting one of your favourite tennis players isn’t easy to just turn off.
I just love the Kyrgios is UnAustralian, doesn’t represent our country yet we have an Australian that is playing we still go against him.. Australia’s fickle like that.

How sad.

I know, it's weird, but I thought hometown crowd support would be a given for a hometown boy.

I genuinely feel embarrassed for John Millman tonight.

Why should tennis fans blindly support the Australian players? I guarantee most people there have spent a lot time and effort following Federer’s career than Millman’s. Even if you want to support the Australian supporting one of your favourite tennis players isn’t easy to just turn off.
well I am from Adelaide and at one point Lleyton Hewitt was a bright beacon of hope. I don't give 2 shits about Nick kyrios.

I will cheer for the Aussie girls that do well such as Ash Barty

How sad.

I know, it's weird, but I thought hometown crowd support would be a given for a hometown boy.

I genuinely feel embarrassed for John Millman tonight.
It's not sad.

Do I have to cheer a particular player just because he happens to be Australian? Millman got plenty of support tonight - the disappointment on this thread just reinforces that.

This isn't a war - people can choose to cheer/support who they want in a sport, regardless of nationality. Someone like Federer is an ATG and has played since young adults were actually children - so it's no surprise people are going to cheer for him over a journeyman that not many people either know of/have seen much of. That might sound harsh but it's the truth.

Reckon most people here didn't cheer much of Tomic but we don't hear "oh the crowd's disgraceful for not cheering him enough" coming from them.

None of us would win a point against Federer, but we also aren't 13-year veterans of the professional tennis circuit.

what a dumb, wussy comment. the guy fu**in choked. he was 8-4 up and was playing magical, confident tennis.

next time I see a s**t movie, should I hold my complaint in because I probably can't direct a Hollywood blockbuster? what a lame post.

Millman is a journeyman tennis player whose never even won an ATP event versus Federer whose won 20 Grand Slams. Who do you think might have a bit more poise in a fifth set tiebreaker? If Millman had been smashed in straight sets as many predicted on here would that have been choking? What if he’d lost in four, is that a choke? Millman played his best tennis for most of the match and was beaten by a player who has won in the most pressured tennis situations time and again by two points and that is somehow a choke? Give me a break.

The 10-point tiebreak is awesome, more conducive to epic momentum swings like we just saw. It should be used at the AO whenever the score hits 6-6. Nothing wrong with different rules across the 4 slams. Having the first 4 sets of a match played with different rules to the 5th set is and always has been silly, though.

Bad luck to Millman, he works hard and doesn't seem to be in it for token support. Ask him if he feels his place of birth entitles him to any special treatment. I know the answer to that too.

A lot of average Australian tennis fans probably got to tick something off their bucket lists tonight--that is, cheering on Federer in an entertaining match at RLA. Shame on anybody who would begrudge such a pure and honest celebration of sporting excellence.

I think it will be closer than you think.
Next Thursday night where it will still be low 30’s when they play.

Don’t think Federer will have the juice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back