Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit where credit is due. Kyrgios is the only one capable of dominating any of the top 10. However doesn’t has the same mental capacity of a Hewitt.
De Minaur is great, but Thiem would easily thrash him in straight sets.
Thats Aussie tennis. Great battler limited talent. Great talent, limited battlers. De Minaur with his game isn’t close to top 10. Kyrgios could, if he wanted to

Credit where credit is due. Kyrgios is the only one capable of dominating any of the top 10. However doesn’t has the same mental capacity of a Hewitt.
Thats Aussie tennis. Great battler limited talent. Great talent, limited battlers. De Minaur with his game isn’t close to top 10. Kyrgios could, if he wanted to

Kokkanakis MIGHT if and it’s a big IF stay fit. He was rated higher than Nick as a junior so the talent is there it’s the durability that’s the issue

Kyrgios is not capable of dominating everyone in the top 10 in grand slam best of 5 matches. Tell me how many times he has dominated djoko, Medvedev, fed, zverev, thiem or Nadal in a grand slam match?

Kyrgios is not capable of dominating everyone in the top 10 in grand slam best of 5 matches. Tell me how many times he has dominated djoko, Medvedev, fed, zverev, thiem or Nadal in a grand slam match?
I meant he is capable, IF he maximises his potential and get that fitness/grinder needed to beat them.
You can’t deny he has the game to better them, but Kyrgios is his own worst enemy..

I said pre tournament that if it went to best of three sets as was floated for a bit that Nick could win the whole thing.

Best of 5 he just can't sustain. I think the commentators said at some stage he had like a 40% record against top 10 players and BO3 only was like 70%.

And I don't think it is purely an attitude thing. If he did train harder his body wouldn't handle it, being that big and being a tennis player doesn't work. See Del Potro. Even Raonic who was professional and durable early days has been shot down by injuries.

Kyrgios could really use a data analyst. Makes too many dumb low percentage plays. The underarm serve on game point, which he lost and then went on to get broken, probably the best example. You've got a 210km serve but you serve an underarm serve in a crucial point. Makes no sense.

It makes sense when your opponent is returning from the front row of the crowd. Kind of like criticising Maxwell for reverse sweeps IMO.

Time and a place. No issue if you are up in games but not at deuce and certainly not break point down

I don't think he can without a large dose of humility, Jedi mind training and a fabulous coach. Then, yeah maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad I went last night and lucked seeing Felix vs Shap so I didn't have to leave mid match... what laughable scenes on Rod laver Arena.

Nick is a threat in best of 3 tournaments, but he just doesn't have it in him in best of 5 against that sort of quality.

Glad I went last night and lucked seeing Felix vs Shap so I didn't have to leave mid match... what laughable scenes on Rod laver Arena.

Nick is a threat in best of 3 tournaments, but he just doesn't have it in him in best of 5 against that sort of quality.
Fair assessment.
Weirdly, something about Thiem reinded me of Luke Hodge a fair bit last nite. Around the mouth I think..a bit.. :D

Only because he flat out refuses to put the work in. He’s happy to be an “entertainer”...he should be more than that. Won’t win slams if he doesn’t get a coach.

There are two live R3 games running at the moment. Would it kill C9 to show them both?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back