Australian Open Day 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Courier is the best of them, but I feel like the questions even he asks have gotten dumber over the years. But maybe I'm just turning into a bitter old tennis fan.
His questions are probably more in line with the typical viewer this time of year, have to appeal to the lowest common denominator

Players like Hsieh are very refreshing to watch when so many base their game around pure power. Laura Siegemund is another player with a lot of craft who I enjoy watching, unfortunately she suffered a nasty injury last year, hope she bounces back from it. Barty in form is also lovely to watch, shame she was off today.

87,000 people attended today which is phenomenonal. A lot of people must not have watched much tennis at an actual court today.
Entertainment... Aus open is becoming more and more about what goes on away from the courts, i.e. the areas setup for French Wimbledon and u.s , the band's, the bars and the list goes on and on and on. Pretty soon most people going won't care who's on court they will just sit and watch it on a screen somewhere in the gardens and be happy to pay $500 for the privilege

Entertainment... Aus open is becoming more and more about what goes on away from the courts, i.e. the areas setup for French Wimbledon and u.s , the band's, the bars and the list goes on and on and on. Pretty soon most people going won't care who's on court they will just sit and watch it on a screen somewhere in the gardens and be happy to pay $500 for the privilege

If it keeps the event in Melbourne, I'll be happy for they didn't go to any of the matches and just rocked up.

3rd Round Seeds Gone

(4) Alexander Zverev - 4,610 - Defending 90 - 0 - 4,610
(7) Jelena Ostapenko - 4,901 - Defending 130 - 0 - 4,901
(12) Juan Martin Del Potro - 2,725 - Defending 0 - Gains 90 - 2,815
(15) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - 2,320 - Defending 360 - Loses 270 - 2,050
(18) Ash Barty - 2,486 - Defending 130 - 0 - 2,486
(21) Albert Ramos - 1,845 - Defending 10 - Gains 80 - 1,925
(23) Gilles Muller - 1,490 - Defending 45 - Gains 45 - 1,535
(26) Adrian Mannarino - 1,625 - Defending 10 - Gains 80 - 1,705
(26) Agnieszka Radwanska - 1,510 - Defending 70 - Gains 60 - 1,570
(28) Damir Dzumhur - 1,391 - Defending 10 - Gains 80 - 1,471
(29) Richard Gasquet - 1,375 - Defending 90 - 0 - 1,375
(29) Lucie Safarova - 1,650 - Defending 70 - Gains 60 - 1,710
(30) Andrey Rublev - 1,373 - Defending 130 - Loses 34 - 1,339
(30) Kiki Bertens - 1,605 - Defending 10 - Gains 120 - 1,725

11 out of 16 Men's are seeded players
10 out of 16 Women's are seeded players.

I was at MCA tonight, and as phenomenal Djokovic is and how well he is playing given his layoff, the Hsieh-Radwanska match was so much more entertaining. And this is coming from someone who watches men's far more often than women's. Good evening all round!

Will be interesting on Monday night to see if they go Federer v Fucsovics or Djokovic v Chung in RLA night session.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look. We lose 7Mate Australian Open coverage tomorrow according to the TV guide. So today was the last of the matches on 7Mate for full day.

However, for 6 - 7, it will be broadcasted on 7Mate as 7News is playing.
Pretty sure the idiots at 7 do that every year. 7mate should run until tomorrow and show the 3 singles matches not on RLA. You can bet we will miss out on Singles action to watch Hewitt and Groth!

Just some brief comments;

Hsieh's last two matches have been standouts

That Halep-Davis 5th set, 48 games and 3 hrs 45 mins, some 5 set matches are shorter.

Chung continues to show why he'll be contending for slams over coming years.

Just give the title to Kerber already. She'll need to be off her game to lose.

Osaka was on fire.

Towards Day 7, surely it is now time for a 90s baby to win a men's slam. I think the winner of Dimitrov-Kyrgios will gain the required confidence to go on and take the title, although Nadal has been in fearsome form. Big statement given the question marks those two thoroughly deserve, but you can feel it in the air.

Interesting how people take exception to other women who shriek and Kerber gets off scot free.
Might have something to do with the decibel level...MS would squeal/scream/grunt on a drop shot. It's a blight on the game. But at least you do not have to listen to the commentators its all on mute

Remove this Banner Ad

Back