Australian Open Day 7

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand what you're saying but based on that players should only hire coaches that have been more successful than them?

Not at all, was just saying it comes off as stupid whenever Rasheed appears on camera. Maybe it’s the arrogant, “gather round kids” delivery he has but I’d rather no “expertise” on the world’s greatest players than half-baked expertise.

As much as it was a great games Nicks BH still gets on my nerves, I bring this up every year. Sometimes he pushes, sometimes he drives, occasionally it just floats. He lost the tiebreak because he can't serve all the time. He had 26 more groundstroke errors than Dimitrov for the game, I wouldn't say it was clutch or nerves, just Dimitrov was better on the day.
I agree..Nick the Greek still has a long way to go....unbelievable raw talent I will concede. Media trying a reverse Psychology ploy with the punters heads telling us how much more mature he is ..showing pictures of him signing kids autographs etc and so on. And maybe this is a step in the right direction. But I am still not convinced..he does need a coach and good mentors around him. Nevertheless we still saw points where he appeared not to try and sulked. His carry on in the final set was not focussed on the job but his incredible raw talent still saw him break back and lose in the tiebreaker...yep the jury is still out.

That match last night was such a privilege, thoroughly meeting expectations. The shot-making was off the chain. Obviously Grigor still needs some mental tinkering and Nick still has some fundamentals to work upon preventing him from being the best, but purely as tennis in the present (always the most important thing) it was a treat.

Really felt like both were firing "Are you ready???" at each other. "Are you prepared to win a slam or not?". Ultimately, the age difference and sounder professionalism of Grigor was the difference on the night (his tiebreaks were textbook, and his hitting the lines was clutch throughout), but loved the candour between the two, and both came out of the match for the better.

Bring on a repeat of the Nadal-Dimitrov SF, with hopefully an epic falling the opposite way this time.

Last edited:
That match last night was such a privilege, thoroughly meeting expectations. The shot-making was off the chain.

Really felt like both were firing "Are you ready???" at each other. "Are you prepared to win a slam or not?". Ultimately, the age difference and sounder professionalism of Grigor was the difference on the night (his tiebreaks were textbook), but loved the candour between the two, and both came out of the match for the better.

Bring on a repeat of the Nadal-Dimitrov SF, with hopefully an epic falling the opposite way this time.
Great words spoken here, well done. Just as Nick had faced Tsonga with a "Are you ready?" at each other, you are right, the same thing happened last night. Was a brilliant match.

Hewitt was world no.1 when he was 19 iirc. Made his last slam final when he was 24.

Boris Becker won Wimbledon at 17. You do tend to remember the outliers.

Yeah but I did qualify it with 'modern era'. Size and power weren't such big factors in the mens game when Boom Boom and to a lesser degree Leyton were doing their thing.

Yeah but I did qualify it with 'modern era'. Size and power weren't such big factors in the mens game when Boom Boom and to a lesser degree Leyton were doing their thing.

Same here lol I was just referring back to the last 10 years or so.

Otherwise I wouldve mentioned
Michael Chang 17yrs, French Open
Pete Sampras 19yrs, US Open

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back