• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The first week is nearly done. The round of 16 is here. Today was fairly quiet. Not much to say really. Murray is gutsy, and Shelton was too good. 12 out of 15 matches have been straight-set wins. It won't be that way tonight. This has been building all week but we are getting some real blockbusters. The amount of action dies down now, with a later singles start at 12:30PM. I also think today will be the last day of JCA and no more night sessions on MCA.

Weather . Party Cloudy 25.
Next Saturday, women's finals night, is 37......Should be outside conditions during the night.

RLA 12:30PM
[1] Swiatek vs. [22] Rybakina
[10] Hurkacz vs [29] Korda
7pm
[3] Tsitsipas vs. [15] Sinner
[24] Azarenka vs. Zhu

MCA 1PM
[17] Ostapenko vs [7] Gauff
3:30PM
Lehecka vs. [6] Auger-Aliassime

JCA 2:30PM
[31] Nishioka vs. [18] Khachanov
5pm
[3] Pegula vs. [20] Krejcikova

Mens Draw

[31] Nishioka vs. [18] Khachanov
[10] Hurkacz vs [29] Korda

[3] Tsitsipas vs. [15] Sinner
Lehecka vs. [6] Auger-Aliassime
---------------------------------------------
Rublev [5] vs Rune [9]
de Minaur [22] vs Djokovic [4]

Shelton vs Wolf
[24] Bautista Agut vs Paul
Womens Draw

[1] Swiatek vs. [22] Rybakina
[17] Ostapenko vs [7] Gauff

[3] Pegula vs. [20] Krejcikova
[24] Azarenka vs. Zhu
-----------------------------------
Pliskova [30] vs Zhang [23]
Linette/Alexandrova [19] vs Garcia [4]

Sabalenka [5] vs Bencic [12]
Vekic vs Fruhvirtova

Swiatek vs Rybakina. Penko vs Gauff. Pegula vs Krejcikova. That is 4 different Major winners, the current world number 3 and an 18-year-old who already has 100 wins on tour. That is quite a line-up for just a round of 16. Swiatek should be more consistent against Rybakina and the same can be said about Gauff and Ostapenko. But both Ry/Penko have big games and there is always a thought in the back of your head that wonders how anyone could beat them if they just kept the ball on the court. And it is good to see Rybakina finally getting a match on the major court. Only took 7 days. Pegula is everyone's dark horse, but i am still not sure how the 3rd ranked player could be considered that. Has only had one slip-up all tournament(a Tiebreak) but has not dropped a set. likewise, Krejcikova hasnt even lost more than 4 games in a set. This is a smokey good one here where most eyes will be on the other top-line womens matches.

Mens-wise, there are a lot of seeds involved, with only Lehecka being unseeded. I do like Karen, a solid player with one weapon, and I know little about Nishioka. Korda was very good v Medvedev while Hurkacz has been taken to 5 sets in the last 2 matches.

Match of the Day
[3] Tsitsipas vs. [15] Sinner.
Greek philosophical king v the Italia Ginger. I tipped Sinner to make the final. I am less confident that when I started. Sinner was taken to a quick 5 sets lwin 2 days ago but my lack of confidence is more about how Tsitsipas is and not about Sinner, who I think has done well to get to this stage without too many mins on the court. Tsitsipas has looked good this week and hasn't dropped a set yet. A couple of TB's, sure, but there has been a sense in his 3 matches, that he had it under control. Maybe just my thinking as he hasn't played anyone really great yet.

There is an important note here. They played last year here and Tsitsipas won easy in 3 and holds a commanding 4-1 record . This would be a HUGE win for Sinner if he can do it. Tsitsipas in 3

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
That's a pretty good line-up for a Sunday. Lots of different matchups. Women's matches look fantastic. I am glad that Barbora is getting some of her old form back and could give Pegula some greif.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
What's even worse they have a fantastic women's double line up playing first up on John Cain which has Storm Hunter playing with Elise Mertens against grand slam champions in Babos/Kiki Mladenovic. I so don't get it. is it because they think certain matches won't finish and will delay the start of other matches?

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
Im sorry, but Ostapenko is just funny.

those faces.

errr. Rybakina too good for Swiatek. This might be a bad head2head for Swiatek in future. This version of Rybakina will take some beating. So solid and nothing fazes her. One of the coldest players on tour

She is hilarious.

Her outfits are on another level as well. They're... something else.

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
I really don't understand the hype of Gauff.

There's only one player on this court with a slam under their belt yet the other one is lauded as a champion for some reason.

Back