Australian Open Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He'll want to improve his serve if he want a chance. Good luck breaking Federers serve.
He may not need to break his serve. Fed will have to paint the lines on a regular basis to get the ball past this guy and with serious pace. Fed's defence hasnt really been tested for a while, he is going to be hitting alot of lunging squash shots if chung plays like tonight and could he keep it up over an extended match? He is 36.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
That was an amazing performance.

Those last 4 points in the tiebreak were just nuts.

He could win it based on that.

Why do you hate every player other than Cheatapova? Its sadistic.

I like Pliskova among others actually. I like Kerber too. The only one left that I really don’t like is Halep and I’m glad she won today as I like Osaka even less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Missed the Novak v Chung match. Cannot believe it, what a win for Chung!

Love the way he goes about things.

How did the match go? Chung just playing out of his mind?
The dude was playing like prime novak. Was tracking down literally everything; that's not even an exaggeration. His ability to turn defence to offence was honestly unreal.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
novak an all time goat but he's finished wont win another grand slam.

as for chung who cant love his determination and heart wish our players were as passionate and humble as this bloke also classy by the crowd cheering him speaking in korean
I wouldn't write him off, just needs to get his body right and stay motivated. He is past his best for sure, but I still think he can win more slams before he calls it quits. Federer won Wimbledon in 2012 and Nadal did the same with the French Open in 2017 as 31 year olds, (the same age Novak will be turning this year), so its definitely not an age thing, let alone when you also see how Federer claimed both the Australian Open and Wimbledon last year at 35/36.

dvp15

Debutant
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could Chung be the first "new generation" player to win a slam?

I think he's got a good shot of winning the aus open this year. Djokovic wasn't 100%, but Nadal and Fed don't look 100% either. Berdych is a jobber, Edmund is rubbish, Dimitrov/Cillic still look good tho.

He may not need to break his serve. Fed will have to paint the lines on a regular basis to get the ball past this guy and with serious pace. Fed's defence hasnt really been tested for a while, he is going to be hitting alot of lunging squash shots if chung plays like tonight and could he keep it up over an extended match? He is 36.
Djoker was yelling in pain every time he extended that elbow, and had hip issues. It was the perfect occasion for Chung to beat him, and he played brilliantly to do it.

He has to break his serve to win. Unfortunately for Chung, Federer doesn't have the same physical issues and is playing a lot better. So what if he is 36? Remember what happened last year? QF/SF/F were all 5-set matches against good opponents. Fed will beat him in straights, assuming the two players get that far.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Funny that you don't like Osaka LP. Chung played great all match, and didn't let up with the intensity. Also happy that Dmitrov won last night. Nice to see that Halep won in straight sets today. Just on Barty, I don't get the hype on her. I get it that she is still making her way back to tennis.

dvp15

Debutant
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Djoker was yelling in pain every time he extended that elbow, and had hip issues. It was the perfect occasion for Chung to beat him, and he played brilliantly to do it.

He has to break his serve to win. Unfortunately for Chung, Federer doesn't have the same physical issues and is playing a lot better. So what if he is 36? Remember what happened last year? QF/SF/F were all 5-set matches against good opponents. Fed will beat him in straights, assuming the two players get that far.
Players decline severely at that age. So what if he did it last year, he's still a year older now, and doesn't move nearly as well as Chung.

Players decline severely at that age. So what if he did it last year, he's still a year older now, and doesn't move nearly as well as Chung.
That's what people were saying of Federer at the start of last year then he went on to win two slam titles. You're just saying that arbitrarily, you're just picking 36 instead of 35. Doesn't matter that he doesn't move as well as Chung - there were plenty of players younger than him, who moved faster than him, and he still beat them. Even this year.

Until there's a noticeable drop where he constantly bombs out before the QF, then any talk of a "decline" is premature at this point.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
What Federer is doing is unique and shouldn't be used as a comparison to others. His game style has also effectively given him added years at the top of the game. Djokovic and Murray have been the ultimate grinders which should see their body decline faster and face more injuries. Nadal is a strange one. His game style and impact on his body should not really see him so physically strong at his age.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think it's laughable to suggest Chung could best Federer, he played amazing tonight but the fact is his serve got broken time and time again and he faced 20+ break points against a banged up Djokovic. How on earth would he survive a Federer onslaught? The kid had me off the couch in excitement many times tonight but let's be realistic the chances of him getting baggeled by fed are higher then him winning. Oh and fed won't just trade blows with him from the back of the court, as soon as he gets an angle and forces Chung out wide he will come in and finish off points quicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back