Australian Open Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The dude was playing like prime novak. Was tracking down literally everything; that's not even an exaggeration. His ability to turn defence to offence was honestly unreal.
Those ripping cross court winners when chasing down the wide ball were epic. I mean most players would not have enough time to try and hit a winner down the line. He went cross court and did it easy.

Think it's laughable to suggest Chung could best Federer, he played amazing tonight but the fact is his serve got broken time and time again and he faced 20+ break points against a banged up Djokovic. How on earth would he survive a Federer onslaught? The kid had me off the couch in excitement many times tonight but let's be realistic the chances of him getting baggeled by fed are higher then him winning. Oh and fed won't just trade blows with him from the back of the court, as soon as he gets an angle and forces Chung out wide he will come in and finish off points quicker.
People are getting caught up with the excitement. I was very happy with Chung beating Novak, but let's face it, if Chung had a competent service game, it would've been a faster win. He can't do the same against someone like Federer or Nadal.

That's what people were saying of Federer at the start of last year
There you go bringing up the past again, completely missing the point.
You're just saying that arbitrarily
You're the one claiming Federer will definitely beat him in straight sets. People like you always wind up with egg on their face time after time.

Nobody is saying Chung's the favorite, but he absolutely has a chance of beating Federer.

The dude was playing like prime novak. Was tracking down literally everything; that's not even an exaggeration. His ability to turn defence to offence was honestly unreal.
Prime Novak wouldn't have had his serve broken time and time again. If he played like prime Novak, the score would've been 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 or something like that.

People are getting caught up with the excitement. I was very happy with Chung beating Novak, but let's face it, if Chung had a competent service game, it would've been a faster win. He can't do the same against someone like Federer or Nadal.
Djokovic is one of the best returners in tennis. He gets lots of break points against nearly every server!

Players decline severely at that age. So what if he did it last year, he's still a year older now, and doesn't move nearly as well as Chung.
Fed in 2017/2018 is moving better now than he has since at least 2012. If anything he was slightly declining from 2013 to 2016 (although he still reached Grand Slam finals in this time frame), but the point is Federer is back to being arguably the best player in the world.

Think it's laughable to suggest Chung could best Federer, he played amazing tonight but the fact is his serve got broken time and time again and he faced 20+ break points against a banged up Djokovic. How on earth would he survive a Federer onslaught? The kid had me off the couch in excitement many times tonight but let's be realistic the chances of him getting baggeled by fed are higher then him winning. Oh and fed won't just trade blows with him from the back of the court, as soon as he gets an angle and forces Chung out wide he will come in and finish off points quicker.
It's laughable to suggest he doesn't have a chance. People like you never learn.

If you're so certain, what's stopping you from stacking up on Federer on Betfair? After all, any alternative to Federer winning is "laughable".

If this kid had a serve on him it would be trully frightening, at this point he doesn't, so my stance remains fed would pretty much break him regularly with ease, as would Nadal. Hell he wouldn't survive dimitrov/kyrgios.

Excited all the same just for the great shot making.

I wouldn't write him off, just needs to get his body right and stay motivated. He is past his best for sure, but I still think he can win more slams before he calls it quits. Federer won Wimbledon in 2012 and Nadal did the same with the French Open in 2017 as 31 year olds, (the same age Novak will be turning this year), so its definitely not an age thing, let alone when you also see how Federer claimed both the Australian Open and Wimbledon last year at 35/36.
think novak's skills and weapons have declined more then fed's for sure and to a lesser extent rafa

There you go bringing up the past again, completely missing the point.
I'm bringing it up because Federer being a year older means * all. He hasn't lost a set so far, and nothing has changed so drastically that he wouldn't be able to up his level when the time comes.

You're the one claiming Federer will definitely beat him in straight sets. People like you always wind up with egg on their face time after time.
He will if Chung doesn't improve his serve. Also, I said "assuming both make it that for" for a reason. No egg on my face, because they could both lose their next games.

Nobody is saying Chung's the favorite, but he absolutely has a chance of beating Federer.
Not with that serve he doesn't.

Djoker and Nadal didn't own Federer in the past by having a service game like that.

It's laughable to suggest he doesn't have a chance. People like you never learn.

If you're so certain, what's stopping you from stacking up on Federer on Betfair? After all, any alternative to Federer winning is "laughable".

Let him reach Federer first...

Fed in 2017/2018 is moving better now than he has since at least 2012. If anything he was slightly declining from 2013 to 2016 (although he still reached Grand Slam finals in this time frame), but the point is Federer is back to being arguably the best player in the world.
Perhaps, but he's still turning 37 this year. It's one area younger, fitter players like Chung can take advantage of.

My point is, nothing is certain despite what armchair experts try to claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prime Novak wouldn't have had his serve broken time and time again. If he played like prime Novak, the score would've been 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 or something like that.
I was more referring to his ground game. I did mention that he needs to work on his serve but I think they (the commentators) mentioned that he and his team understand that as well.

If this kid had a serve on him it would be trully frightening, at this point he doesn't, so my stance remains fed would pretty much break him regularly with ease, as would Nadal. Hell he wouldn't survive dimitrov/kyrgios.

Excited all the same just for the great shot making.
If he had a great serve, he could reunify Korea solo!

The same Aussies that watch sunrise, married at first sight and Masterchef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stupid shows on national tv world wide look at the highest rated show of the year australian ninja warrior

I'm bringing it up because Federer being a year older means **** all. He hasn't lost a set so far, and nothing has changed so drastically that he wouldn't be able to up his level when the time comes.
Right, so against every historical truth suggesting the contrary, aging a year means nothing because he's beaten a few scrubbers to the quarters? I guess he'll just keep winning forever then, you're the age expert here.

He will if Chung doesn't improve his serve.
Chung's beaten two quality players already. You'll just keep denying it until he wins.
Nadal's serve has never been anything special.

Not with that serve he doesn't.
Again, if you're so certain, stack up against him. Free money, right?

Djoker and Nadal didn't own Federer in the past by having a service game like that.
No, they owned him with great defence, which is what Chung clearly has.

Right, so against every historical truth suggesting the contrary, aging a year means nothing because he's beaten a few scrubbers to the quarters? I guess he'll just keep winning forever then, you're the age expert here.
Federer went against "historical truth" the moment he won the AO in his mid-30s. I didn't say he would "keep winning forever", I am saying you're pinning down his decline on an arbitrary number rather than facts.

Chung's beaten two quality players already. You'll just keep denying it until he wins.
Nadal's serve has never been anything special.
Federer beat Zeverv, including with a bagel set, earlier in the year. Federer would have dismantled Djoker easily if they were playing tonight, because his serve was atrocious and wasn't fully fit. I'm not denying that he's playing very well to have beaten them, but get some perspective please.

Again, if you're so certain, stack up against him. Free money, right?
As I said, they could both lose their next games.

No, they owned him with great defence, which is what Chung clearly has.
It takes more than just defence to beat Federer. You need a decent service game as well to get free points against him.

Perhaps, but he's still turning 37 this year. It's one area younger, fitter players like Chung can take advantage of.

My point is, nothing is certain despite what armchair experts try to claim.
People have been saying words to that effect about Fed since about 2011 when he turned 30. It's a credit to him that not too many "younger, fitter" players over the years have taken "advantage" of this, and in recent times Federer at 35/36 and nearly 37 is playing some of his best tennis for a long time. I'm more convinced now then ever that age is just a number for the likes of Roger.

Federer went against "historical truth" the moment he won the AO in his mid-30s. I didn't say he would "keep winning forever", I am saying you're pinning down his decline on an arbitrary number rather than facts.
Yeah ok, winning a slam last year proves age doesn't wear down players. Astute observation there.

Federer beat Zeverv, including with a bagel set, earlier in the year. Federer would have dismantled Djoker easily if they were playing tonight, because his serve was atrocious and wasn't fully fit. I'm not denying that he's playing very well to have beaten them, but get some perspective please.
My perspective is perfectly grounded, I'm not the one claiming a 36 year old Federer has a 100% chance of beating Chung in straight sets.

It takes more than just defence to beat Federer. You need a decent service game as well to get free points against him.
Speaking of arbitrary, you seem to have your own arbitrary set of requirements in order to beat Federer. He's been beaten by average servers before, and at 36 years old, there's every chance that can still happen.

People have been saying words to that effect about Fed since about 2011 when he turned 30. It's a credit to him that not too many "younger, fitter" players over the years have taken "advantage" of this, and now at 36/37 Federer is playing some of his best tennis for a long time. I'm more convinced now then ever that age is just a number for the likes of Roger.
I agree, that's why I'd have him as a favourite.

That being said, it's a historical truth age wears peoples' bodies down, and against a high quality player, there's every chance Federer may struggle to keep up the pace, particularly in a 4th or 5th set.

For the 4th/5th time, all I'm saying is it's stupid to claim Federer is certain to beat Chung in straight sets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back