Australian Open Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah ok, winning a slam last year proves age doesn't wear down players. Astute observation there.
I didn't say that.

By winning two slams last year (something he hasn't done for years), and winning all sets at this point suggests that your phantom decline isn't there. So come back when you've got something to show for it.

My perspective is perfectly grounded, I'm not the one claiming a 36 year old Federer has a 100% chance of beating Chung in straight sets.
I put a condition on it, Chung very well might cause problems if he fixes that serve of his. I also put another condition, in that should they make it... because it's very possible that they may not. Berdych is no mug, and is playing excellently right now.

Speaking of arbitrary, you seem to have your own arbitrary set of requirements in order to beat Federer. He's been beaten by average servers before, and at 36 years old, there's every chance that can still happen.
Yeah, when he's had back problems, glandular fever or when his form has been really poor in the tournament he's in. And it's not very often (even Hewitt beat him a few years ago). But right now, Fed's chances are significantly higher to win in 3 sets than to lose.

Yeah ok, winning a slam last year proves age doesn't wear down players. Astute observation there.

My perspective is perfectly grounded, I'm not the one claiming a 36 year old Federer has a 100% chance of beating Chung in straight sets.

Speaking of arbitrary, you seem to have your own arbitrary set of requirements in order to beat Federer. He's been beaten by average servers before, and at 36 years old, there's every chance that can still happen.

FFS calm down. All he is trying to say is 31, 35 or 36, people always say he is "going to decline" but ends up proving them wrong. Age is just a number for players like Federer. Chances are IF both players make it he should have a comfortable win. Chung may have played excellent tonight but Novak was not at a 100%, Federer is in good form and has more tools to work with to beat modern day players. He doesn't need to be faster than them.

Was a brilliant match to watch live.

Chung's athleticism, defence and transition offence are incredible, prime-Novakesque.

It's the type of game style that has troubled Federer in the past, having to hit that extra awkward shot over and over.

Serve is an obvious weakness and his 2nd serves in particular will get absolutely hammered by Roger.

He'll need to make a ton of passing shots or outlast Roger in rallies to get past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rod laver to beat Federer at the 2019 Australian open to prove thrawn right: age doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another idiot who can't read or understand what I'm saying.

Roger won 2 slams at 35, he is now 36... he's not in his 80s. His style and the fact that he's an athletic freak has helped him with that. So until he reaches the point where he actually declines (could be this year, could be next year, could be in 3 years time), have a can of STFU. I for one hope his renaissance lasts for as long as possible.

Djoker was yelling in pain every time he extended that elbow, and had hip issues. It was the perfect occasion for Chung to beat him, and he played brilliantly to do it.

He has to break his serve to win. Unfortunately for Chung, Federer doesn't have the same physical issues and is playing a lot better. So what if he is 36? Remember what happened last year? QF/SF/F were all 5-set matches against good opponents. Fed will beat him in straights, assuming the two players get that far.
Joker was probably 75%...ugly looking serve but still effective. 6 months out of game so probably a pass at this tourney. He was almost unbeatable at his peak but his demise has let RF and Nadal back in the door. The game needs a generational change but these guys deserve to be at top coz the young guys are just not quite there yet. Chung was good but still do not think he can beat either Nadal or Federer at this stage.

Joker was probably 75%...ugly looking serve but still effective. 6 months out of game so probably a pass at this tourney. .
I think a lot of us were surprised he played. Its why the start of this thread was full of hope for guys like Dimitrov and Kyrgios etc. There was an opportunity. Its now up to Chung to take it further

Roger won 2 slams at 35, he is now 36... he's not in his 80s. His style and the fact that he's an athletic freak has helped him with that. So until he reaches the point where he actually declines (could be this year, could be next year, could be in 3 years time), have a can of STFU. I for one hope his renaissance lasts for as long as possible.

Aussie Chung will eliminate him, the tears from Federer worshippers will be delicious!

I'm bringing it up because Federer being a year older means **** all. He hasn't lost a set so far, and nothing has changed so drastically that he wouldn't be able to up his level when the time comes.

He will if Chung doesn't improve his serve. Also, I said "assuming both make it that for" for a reason. No egg on my face, because they could both lose their next games.

Not with that serve he doesn't.

Djoker and Nadal didn't own Federer in the past by having a service game like that.
Both djokovic and nadal have never had big serves, when has nadal consistently reached 200ks? Id argue his serve is the weakest part of his game and has been for years. Its the placement which matters anyway. You can hit 220k bombs all night but if your not putting them in good spots than your going to struggle. Djokovic and nadal traditionally have beaten fed by having an excellent offence/defence style and being great movers around the court to retrieve difficult shots. Thats the way chung plays. Federer is the ultimate attacking machine, perhaps the greatest in history. He is going to have to hit chung off the court with precision something which he is good at over 3 sets. If it gets to 4 or 5 different story.

Both djokovic and nadal have never had big serves, when has nadal consistently reached 200ks? Id argue his serve is the weakest part of his game and has been for years. Its the placement which matters anyway. You can hit 220k bombs all night but if your not putting them in good spots than your going to struggle. Djokovic and nadal traditionally have beaten fed by having an excellent offence/defence style and being great movers around the court to retrieve difficult shots. Thats the way chung plays. Federer is the ultimate attacking machine, perhaps the greatest in history. He is going to have to hit chung off the court with precision something which he is good at over 3 sets. If it gets to 4 or 5 different story.
They don't need a big serve, they need a good serve. I'm talking about serve placement.

Are you Federer's concubine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back