Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Which umpires have been known to hate Serena in the past few years? If i were the umpire that serena abused, I'd hate her as well. Remember when serena called eva asderaki ugly on the inside? Or when she threatened thr female linesperson with shoving a ball down her throat? Oh yeah I'm sure those 2 dislike serena and with every right. And once you start abusing umpires like Serena has, she would have a reputation amongst officials.

Of course you cite two (relatively) recent examples. Why not journey back to the 2003 French Open semi-final, or the 2004 US Open match against Capriati. They were perhaps the two most biased displays of umpiring ever, accompanied by smirks from the referees at Serena’s frustration. I don’t believe Serena is an angel. In fact I think she can be very volatile. But I think the umpires themselves made her into the umpire-hating tyrant she can become now days.

Serena didn’t help herself by making it a sexist argument. She would’ve had more credibility if she made it a personal discrimination argument. Referees in the past have never been known to hate women, but they have been known to hate Serena.

No one should hate Serena. She is the GOAT of tennis.

Which umpires have been known to hate Serena in the past few years? If i were the umpire that serena abused, I'd hate her as well. Remember when serena called eva asderaki ugly on the inside? Or when she threatened thr female linesperson with shoving a ball down her throat? Oh yeah I'm sure those 2 dislike serena and with every right. And once you start abusing umpires like Serena has, she would have a reputation amongst officials.
According to Cornet, she thinks the umpires are nicer to the Williams sisters

He’s the Jelena Jankovic of the men’s tour lol

More like the Svitolina, who has also won many masters tournaments and who has also never made a semi in a grand slam (yet).

Jankovic at least made the semi's and final on multiple Grand Slam tournaments.

Of course you cite two (relatively) recent examples. Why not journey back to the 2003 French Open semi-final, or the 2004 US Open match against Capriati. They were perhaps the two most biased displays of umpiring ever, accompanied by smirks from the referees at Serena’s frustration. I don’t believe Serena is an angel. In fact I think she can be very volatile. But I think the umpires themselves made her into the umpire-hating tyrant she can become now days.
Citing incidents from 15 years ago seems irrelevant at this point. As for the 2004 us open, the USTA apologised to serena for the umpring and alves didn't umpire another match that tournament. Speaking of mariana alves, I have never been a fan of her chair umpiring. She's made huge mistakes in other matches as well.

Last edited:
Citing incidents from 15 years ago seems irrelevant at this point. As for the 2004 us open, the USTA apologised to serena for the umpring and alves didn't umpire another match that tournament. Speaking of mariana alves, I have never been a fan of her chair umpiring. She's made huge mistakes in other matches as well.

But it is relevant, because it all adds up. So Serena is at the US Open last year once again having a relatively obscure call made against her, for which she isn’t even aware of, and she’s no doubt seeing an entire career’s worth of incidents where she felt she was unjustly treated. Whether she was or not is irrelevant, that’s how she felt and she’s allowed to feel that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m way more interested in the day match, would have preferred it being at night. Coupled with the Barty match, tomorrow night would have been awesome.

Nadal was always going to be at night

. Whether she was or not is irrelevant, that’s how she felt and she’s allowed to feel that way.
She can feel whatever she likes. But her last 3 blowups at the us open have not been anyone's fault, except for Serena herself. Then she goes on to blame sexism in the time of the #metoo movement.

No one should hate Serena. She is the GOAT of tennis.
It's not a hate on her, it's more an intense dislike for her behaviour. Sometimes she's the sweetest little thing to wear a tutu and execute a whirly gig on the court, and of course belongs to an elite group of women who have birthed a child. Then she is other thing, ugly and abusive and in my mind she seems more genuine in her ugly self.

According to Cornet, she thinks the umpires are nicer to the Williams sisters

More like the Svitolina, who has also won many masters tournaments and who has also never made a semi in a grand slam (yet).

Jankovic at least made the semi's and final on multiple Grand Slam tournaments.

Brings it in perspective
Kyrgios vs zverev

1st round exit nick 5/zverev 3
2nd round nick 4/zverev 3
3rd round nick 7/zverev 6
4th round nick 3/zverev 2
Qf nick 2/zverev 1

One is talked up and constantly circle jerked in the box the other as a head case

Nick out performs him in grand slam tennis

I blame participation awards on the failure of these young guys to have the mental strength to play the games that count. 'kept for tsitsipas, pouille and popyrin.

She can feel whatever she likes. But her last 3 blowups at the us open have not been anyone's fault, except for Serena herself. Then she goes on to blame sexism in the time of the #metoo movement.

As I said I think her frustration and resentment was valid, but she misdirected it. She was grasping at straws with the sexism claims, but I thought it fair enough that she felt persecuted and became defensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back