Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 8

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's the actual rule with the Nishikori thing? To me the call and the shot (contact being made) were at the exact same time.

Weirder thing was that I heard a faint female voice call "out" before Nishikori hit the ball. Hoping it is not another member of the crowd trying to be funny.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
The stupid thing is that if Carreno Busta did not challenge it, he would have lost the point anyway!! Absolutely appalling.
He was losing the point anyway
Look it was a s**t situation with a horrible call from the linesperson causing the issue.

Yes, nishikori was going to win the point, that is not a debate. But the out call was made before nishikori made contact with the ball. The rules of tennis state that a replay of the point must occur.

If carreno busta had more experience in the 4th round of a slam, had more composure, he would not have let it get to him. But we have to remember busta has just been bustinf his butt for 5 hours to reach his first ever slam quarter final. He knows what the rules of tennis are and he felt cheated. He couldn't overcome it emotionally and did not win another point.

Interestingly in the post match media conference the first thing busta did was apologise for how he left the court at the end. It was such a disappointing way to end an absolute classic.

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've just watched the footage again. It is very split second. Lines person started the "out" call before Nishikori hit the ball in the footage I see..

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not only that but look at nishikori initial reaction after he hits the winner. He knew the linesperson called out just before he hit it.

It is quite clear. As soon as the umpire started to call out, Nishikori swung his racquet back and quickly hit the ball. That is very bad character on Nishikori's behalf.

Feel sorry for Carreno Busta.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Almost an hour later, an initially calm but then emotional Carreno Busta apologised for his actions.

“Obviously I’m very sad, no, because after five hours fighting, after five hours’ match, the way that I leave from the court wasn’t correct, and I’m so sorry, because that’s not mine,” he said.
“But I think that the referee missed -- the umpire who is near the court missed, and, well, I try to leave faster as possible when I lost that last point, because I know that in any moment I lost the head.
“But it’s tough, no, to me to leave Australian Open like this, because I think that I played really good. I play an unbelievable match. Also Kei, he play really good, and that’s sad to leave like this.”

The Spaniard admitted the dramatic moment may have cost him the match.
“Of course is tough to be focused after this point, but I try to do it, no? Well, the next points, I miss a return just like centimeters. Then Kei plays two good points with my serve. I also miss from four centimeters a forehand, and, well, he made ace for finish the match,” he said.
“He plays good in this moment. Maybe I distract a little bit, but I just try to continue doing my best.”

He said he did not need to watch a replay of the incident because he knows he was in the right.
“I don’t need to watch the repeat, the replay of the point, because I know clearly that the line umpire calls out. Then Nishikori make a winner. Obviously the point for Nishikori was so we see. But sometimes the line umpires make mistakes, and that’s the game, no?,” Carreno Busta said.

“You have Hawk-Eyes. I call the Hawk-Eye. The Hawk-Eye says the ball was good. And the umpire, I don’t know why, but he tried to, I don’t know -- I don’t know why, but he say that the point for Nishikori.
“If he thinks that the point is for Nishikori, why I can call the Hawk-Eye, you know? If I call the Hawk-Eye and the ball is out, I lost the Hawk-Eye. If I call the Hawk-Eye and the ball is in, I lost the point. I don’t understand.”

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to the rule book? Someone wrote on Twitter before that they can only give it for when the racquet breaks...

I would like to read all these rules in detail. Ha ha.

Any racquet abuse can be warned doesn’t matter if they break.

Back