Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like this tournament could've rlly turned into something memorable if Kyrgios finished off Them and the lockdown didn't happen, I'd never heard so many people talk about tennis as I did from Thurs-Fri night last week

I agree with Kyrgios, Ash and De Minaur are popular but I don't think they bring in the viewers early on in the tournament like Nick does.

There is no other sporting event in Australia that captures such a wide diverse audiance.i think the tournament was slow to get momentum but got going only to lose it again. Today was an ordinary day.

I agree with Kyrgios, Ash and De Minaur are popular but I don't think they bring in the viewers early on in the tournament like Nick does.

There is no other sporting event in Australia that captures such a wide diverse audiance.i think the tournament was slow to get momentum but got going only to lose it again. Today was an ordinary day.
Yeah Kygs losing and the lockdown coming in have slowed the tournament down a lot - it really felt like we were on the verge of something special. I was driving down chapel st on Friday night and all the clubs and bars had the game on the TV - Barty’s ratings will be good but she’s just not got the same star factor

Yeah Kygs losing and the lockdown coming in have slowed the tournament down a lot - it really felt like we were on the verge of something special. I was driving down chapel st on Friday night and all the clubs and bars had the game on the TV - Barty’s ratings will be good but she’s just not got the same star factor

Also it’s women’s tennis- one goes for an hour to an hour and a half (on average)...Kyrgios goes 3+ hours.

We still watch though. Won't be boring with good opposition. Not sure anyone thinks she can beat top talent like Osaka. I want to see how she goes. That's the attration. Is she really aworld no.1 or did she get lucky.

When Hewitt made the final against safin it was one of the most watched programs of the year. In fact it may be the most watched sporting event since the 2000 Olympics. If kyrgios were to reach the final, I'd expect similar numbers.

If Barty were to reach the final, I'd expect massive ratings numbers.

No doubt, it will be huge if she makes it. I don't think she brings the tv audience like Nick does in the first week but I could be wrong.

I think this year is different in that most people are at work or school (apart from Victoria currently) which meant the evening games have been more important in terms of momentum and interest. We have had some great games but also some average nights. The lack of crowds isn't helping.

When Hewitt made the final against safin it was one of the most watched programs of the year. In fact it may be the most watched sporting event since the 2000 Olympics. If kyrgios were to reach the final, I'd expect similar numbers.

If Barty were to reach the final, I'd expect massive ratings numbers.
yeah, Hewitt Safin had over 4 million. That is more than the AFL/NRL Grand finals.

This is where the schedule will hurt Ch.9. Barty will be playing during the late afternoon for the next 2 matches on Wednesday and Thursday. Barty got around 700K metro last night.

in the US Open, they have a semi-final night for the men and semi-final night for the women. In recent years, women have rated higher than men in the US.

Dokics run to the quarters in 2009 averaged 2.3 million. The TV landscape has changed since then but you reckon Nine would be banking on something similar for a final with Barty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back