Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 9, Tuesday)

Who is going to make the womens Semis

• Barty/Kenin

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Barty/Jabeur

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Kvitova/Kenin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kvitova/Jabeur

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Australian Open Day 10 thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Not long left. Only RLA has singles matches now and Melbourne Arena will host a basketball game on Wednesday. How quickly things change. I am surprised Barty is early in the day but I wonder if she requested that for an advantage over Kvitova, a girl who likes things cool and not windy. Would not be surprised if Fed wins 3-0 or even gets a w/o so it is the right call to have Novak in primetime at night, despite the 9-0 H2H record against Raonic.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 23
Sun through high clouds
No rain

Rod Laver Arena
Kenin (14) v Jabeur (11 AM Start)
Barty (1) v Kvitova (7) (Not Before 12:30 PM)
Sandgren v Federer (3)
NIGHT
Raonic (32) v Djokovic (2) (7 PM Start)
Men's Doubles (Saville and Purcell)

Other Aussies in Action in Doubles
Kyrgios with Anisimova v Mixed Doubles 2nd Round
Moore/Ebden Mixed Doubles 2nd Round

So, the poll would be boring with it was about Novak or Fed. 99% of sane people are going say they will win. And I would question if the other 1% are sane. We await Wednesdays men's matches.

So it is about the girls quarters. For me, it is Barty and Kenin. Can see a lot of twists and turns in the Barty game. Think it will be an epic. The winner of that match will be the fav for the tournament one feels. But there are rumours of Super Muguruza appearing; a dangerous beast who is unstoppable when it comes out.

MENS DRAW
Nadal v Thiem (5)
Wawrinka v Zverev (7)
Sandgren v Federer (3)
Raonic(32) v Djokovic (2)

WOMENS DRAW
Barty(1) v Kvitova (7)
Kenin (14) v Jabeur
Kontaveit (28) v Halep (4)
Muguruza v Pavlyuchenkova (30)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
MENS DRAW
Nadal v Thiem (5)
Wawrinka v Zverev (7)
Sandgren v Federer (3)

WOMENS DRAW
Barty(1) v Kvitova (7)
Kenin (14) v Jabeur
A lot of grand slam winners left in both draws. Interesting.

Zverev has slipped under the radar completely in what is his best ever grand slam performance. No sets dropped, no tantrums. After the start to the season this has been impressive. He will beat Wawrinka.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019
In The Middle Of Nowhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Not long left. Only RLA has singles matches now and Melbourne Arena will host a basketball game on Wednesday. How quickly things change. I am surprised Barty is early in the day but I wonder if she requested that for an advantage over Kvitova, a girl who likes things cool and not windy. Would not be surprised if Fed wins 3-0 or even gets a w/o so it is the right call to have Novak in primetime at night, despite the 9-0 H2H record against Raonic.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 23
Sun through high clouds
No rain

Rod Laver Arena
Sandgren v Federer (3)
NIGHT

So, the poll would be boring with it was about Novak or Fed. 99% of sane people are going say they will win. And I would question if the other 1% are sane. We await Wednesdays men's matches.

So it is about the girls quarters. For me, it is Barty and Kenin. Can see a lot of twists and turns in the Barty game. Think it will be an epic. The winner of that match will be the fav for the tournament one feels. But there are rumours of Super Muguruza appearing; a dangerous beast who is unstoppable when it comes out.

MENS DRAW
Nadal v Thiem (5)
Wawrinka v Zverev (7)
Sandgren v Federer (3)

WOMENS DRAW
Barty(1) v Kvitova (7)
Kenin (14) v Jabeur

yes I think the same. Barty in 3 and Kenin in straights.

Also the men, Federer but only bc Tennys is injured. Djokovic and Raonic could be close if Novak can’t return Raonic’s serve but it depends if his serve is on song! Still see Novak winning but Raonic may take a set from him!

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
yes I think the same. Barty in 3 and Kenin in straights.

Also the men, Federer but only bc Tennys is injured. Djokovic and Raonic could be close if Novak can’t return Raonic’s serve but it depends if his serve is on song! Still see Novak winning but Raonic may take a set from him!

listened to the tennis podcast yesterday. They made mention of the fact that unlike other big servers Novak plays against(think Nick, Isner, Ivo) Novak has said he can read Raonic's serve and that explains why he has a 9-0 record against him. Of the 23 sets they have played, Raonic has won 2 of them.

I hope you are right. I really do. I just think it is a horrible match up. If only Stan the man/Thiem was on this side of the draw. Love nothing more than Novak v a one-handed backhand.

Apr 10, 2019
In The Middle Of Nowhere
AFL Club
Geelong
listened to the tennis podcast yesterday. They made mention of the fact that unlike other big servers Novak plays against(think Nick, Isner, Ivo) Novak has said he can read Raonic's serve and that explains why he has a 9-0 record against him. Of the 23 sets they have played, Raonic has won 2 of them.

I hope you are right. I really do. I just think it is a horrible match up. If only Stan the man/Thiem was on this side of the draw. Love nothing more than Novak v a one-handed backhand.

Rightio I didn’t realise that. Oh well won’t be around to see that match so will have to find out when I get home. Off to 1917. Prob better viewing than Novak! Lol

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Smart on Barty’s part, if true. Day vs night is pretty evident with Kvitova. Huge huge match. Reckon the winner of that would take the trophy

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I'm surprised Zverev is still in the tournament usually he struggles in Grand Slam
we all are. I think he is as well.

they had the schedule wrong for the last 3 days. Kerber-Pav playing last night in front of 100 fans was a disgrace of scheduling and the worst case. Why have so many night matches when you had ALL DAY ON A PUBLIC HOLIDAY TO GET THE BEST CROWDS FOR THEM. Why start the men at 3pm. if I had a MCA ticket and work the next day, I would have been furious with that. I am not sure how "big" the crowd was for Zverev, but I can't see it being that big. hardly anyone on this forum would have watched those 2 matches, which is sad for 2 round of 16 ties.

Barty playing in the day robs a lot of Australians a chance to watch their number 1 player. Would never have happened for the Aussie mans number 1. i hate using that card but it is so true in this case. I think it was planned to have no women night matches from the quarter-finals onwards and that is not really fair. You should have the best match at 7pm, RLA, regardless of gender. For a lot of Australians, that would be Barty tonight, A rematch of the quarter-final last year which was played at night. It is not like she needs extra rest. She is not going to play a crazy 16-14 3rd set match(thanks for that CRAIG) nor does she play the next day like what they have to do on Thursday.

Tennis Australia has treated the women more of a sideshow than an equal main act this whole summer. The ATP Cup being the main example of this. the new tie-break scoring system change has unneeded for the girls.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 23
Sun through high clouds
No rain

Rod Laver Arena
Sandgren v Federer (3)
NIGHT

MENS DRAW
Nadal v Thiem (5)
Wawrinka v Zverev (7)
Sandgren v Federer (3)

WOMENS DRAW
Barty(1) v Kvitova (7)
Kenin (14) v Jabeur

no respect for Halep? She's the woman to beat for mine. i'm thinking a simona vs pavlychenkova semi on that side. anastasia is hitting the ball really well this tourney.

the top half of the draw looks great in the men. looking forward to the man vs zverev. alex has improved from a slow start in the atp cup. that comp probably did him a world of good and blew some cobwebs out. for me, there is no better striker of the ball than stan when he's on, and against danil, he was ******* ON! thiem will get a night qtr which will be better for him than day you'd think. still a tough ask for any of the younger gen in a best of 5 against the big 3 - and stan can compete with any of them.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
BobbyMorri think you might find it was a request from Barty to play at the hottest part of the day- Kvitova hates heat of any type
I haven't been able to find anything on that. that was my theory as well but I have also heard that they had always planned this.

either way, I am not sure how I feel of players requesting things for an on-court advantage. It is our Open, so great. If anyone deserves favouritism, it deserves to be us. But doing it so blatantly leaves them open to accusations of favouritism, which happens for Federer. it is a slippery slope. I don't think the best players should have extra advantages which the lesser ones don't get. Use last night for example. If Nadal was Zverev, so it was a Nick v Zverev match last night, would Nick have got his way in terms of playing that at Melbourne Arena. Nick at Melbourne would be been better than Nick at RLA. Why Should Nadal be getting a special advantage? he doesn't need extra help.

sorry, bit of a rant.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Federer got the extra night match because he was playing Millman. Or because they didn't want to repeat Barty/Djoker combo on Sunday.

Federer got the extra night match because they give him ******* everything he wants without him even requesting it.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
no respect for Halep? She's the woman to beat for mine. i'm thinking a simona vs pavlychenkova semi on that side. anastasia is hitting the ball really well this tourney.

the top half of the draw looks great in the men. looking forward to the man vs zverev. alex has improved from a slow start in the atp cup. that comp probably did him a world of good and blew some cobwebs out. for me, there is no better striker of the ball then stan when he's on, and against danil, he was ******* ON! thiem will get a night qtr which will be better for him than day you'd think. still a tough ask for any of the younger gen in a best of 5 against the big 3 - and stan can compete with any of them.
top of men is bloody fantastic. I don't think you can ask for more mix of players.

I Love Halep. I just fear or respect the game Mugurza CAN bring. On her day, she beats anyone. And as you said Pav is playing really well, so that could be a very tough semi if Halep beats Anett. (should mention, Halep has an 8-0 record against Pav)

the winner of Kvitova/Barty looks like they will play Kenin at this stage. No offence to Kenin, she is not at the same level of danger as any player on that other side. Kenin is a good consistent player but without the record of Mug or even Pav, who has been in the 1/4's finals in grand slams a lot in her career so far. hence the comment, the winner of that should be favs for the title, as they will be heavy favs to actually make the final. (6-1 H2H For Barty/Kvitova over Kenin)

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
we all are. I think he is as well.

they had the schedule wrong for the last 3 days. Kerber-Pav playing last night in front of 100 fans was a disgrace of scheduling and the worst case. Why have so many night matches when you had ALL DAY ON A PUBLIC HOLIDAY TO GET THE BEST CROWDS FOR THEM. Why start the men at 3pm. if I had a MCA ticket and work the next day, I would have been furious with that. I am not sure how "big" the crowd was for Zverev, but I can't see it being that big. hardly anyone on this forum would have watched those 2 matches, which is sad for 2 round of 16 ties.

Barty playing in the day robs a lot of Australians a chance to watch their number 1 player. Would never have happened for the Aussie mans number 1. i hate using that card but it is so true in this case. I think it was planned to have no women night matches from the quarter-finals onwards and that is not really fair. You should have the best match at 7pm, RLA, regardless of gender. For a lot of Australians, that would be Barty tonight, A rematch of the quarter-final last year which was played at night. It is not like she needs extra rest. She is not going to play a crazy 16-14 3rd set match(thanks for that CRAIG) nor does she play the next day like what they have to do on Thursday.

Tennis Australia has treated the women more of a sideshow than an equal main act this whole summer. The ATP Cup being the main example of this. the new tie-break scoring system change has unneeded for the girls.

TA came up with the goods this summer. The ATP Cup was a great tournament for cities that hosted it. Rarely see the top players outside of Melbourne so it was great for Brisbane and Sydney in particular to get some great tennis. I went to both the SER vs RUS & AUS vs ESP semi, and the SER vs ESP final and it was fantastic. It also spurred the NSW govt to put a canopy on the KRA. Last time it had any atmosphere like that was the Olympics. The ATP investing some moolah and points behind the event made it a must play for all but Federer. Need to iron out some scheduling issues though.

Back