• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Thought I create this thread super early. Might as well start the discussion early as this final should be an epic with huge ramifications. It really is the promoters dream final(well for me and most tennis nuts anyway)

If Novak wins, it is number #18 and one closer to the other 2 while keeping the next-gen down in its place. If Medvedev wins, fortress big 3 just lost a huge pillar of stability. Both parties know it could be a generational match, a turning point for this generation v the big 3. And both parties know Medvedev is a real chance.

7:30PM
Rod Laver Arena

Novak Djokovic (1) (SBR)
v
Danill Medvedev (5) (RUS)

Head to Head
4-3 to Djokovic

Last Meeting
Masters Cup (London)
Medvedev 6-3, 6-3

How they got here
Djokovic
Rd 1 def Chardy 6-3 6-1 6-2
Rd 1 def Tiafoe 6-3 6-7 7-6 6-3
Rd 3 def Fritz 7-6 6-4 3-6 4-6 6-2
Rd 4 def Raonic 7-6 4-6 6-1 6-4
1/4 def Zverev 6-7 6-2 6-4 7-6
1/2 def Karatsev 6-3 6-4 6-2

Medvedev
Rd 1 def Pospisil 6-2 6-2 6-4
Rd 2 def Carbelles Baena 6-2 7-5 6-1
Rd 3 def Krajinovic 6-3 6-3 4-6 3-6 6-0
Rd 4 def Mcdonald 6-4 6-2 6-3
1/4 def Rublev 7-5 6-3 6-2
1/2 def Tsistsipas 6-4 6-2 7-5

So, for people who don't know Medvedev, think of a joyful Russian chess troll. During the US Open 2019(which he made the final and lost in 5 sets), with the New York crowd at his back, he would thank them and rile them up even further. But it was like a good-natured troll rather than abuse. The fact that in his post-match interview, he had the audacity to claim that it was Novak with all the pressure in this slam final, not him is another showcase of this. He has been likened to a chess player on the court. Wearing down his opponents, exporting the weaknesses and not giving anything away. His backhand is one of the best on tour. Sounds exactly like someone who he is playing tonight.

Honestly, read Pepsis full post above about Medvedev(and Novak's) recent record. Can't put it better. Basically, it is 20 straight wins, most over top 10 players, good head to head record. One thing I will add is that they have played at the Aus Open before. In 2019, when Novak was top of his game, Medvedev tested him and even took a set off him. Medvedev has referred to that game in the past and that it gave him great confidence in his game. A real turning point in his career.

Novak Novak. Be real interesting to see how the crowd will react to him and how he will react back.

On any other court or situation, Medvedev would be fav and a warm fav. But we know Novak's record here and in finals (8-0). Still, records are there to be broken and, for me, Novak is there for the taking. Medvedev in 5

Last edited:
I picked Medvedev to win the tournament in the opening thread and nothing I've seen the last 2 weeks has changed my mind. He has been outstanding, is on a 20 match winning steak and he's just about playing unbeatable tennis. Only thing that can stop him is nerves and I don't think that will stop him.

Medvedev in 4 sets.

The betting markets have them pretty close, Novak slight favourite.

I haven't watched either of them this tournament, I have nfi who will win.

Looking forward to it though.

Hope the Med gets up, I'm sick of the big three.

I picked Medvedev to win the tournament in the opening thread and nothing I've seen the last 2 weeks has changed my mind. He has been outstanding, is on a 20 match winning steak and he's just about playing unbeatable tennis. Only thing that can stop him is nerves and I don't think that will stop him.

Medvedev in 4 sets.
Did you have an investment?

Strange thing regarding Medvedev is I don't think he played his first ATP main draw match until he was 20, rather late for someone as good as he is now.

As for the final it's a flip of the coin, I'll say Djoker in an epic 5 setter.

Novak to fake injury if he looks like losing
Novak to glare and sook if he starts losing
Novak to narrowly miss hitting someone in the eye with ball or racket if he looks like losing.
Apart from that
Med to win. Hopefully.
Go Med!! (Please!!!)

Last edited:
Want Novak to win but would not be disapointed if Medvedev wins... hell of a tennis player, gotta love his passion.
🇷🇺🇷🇸

Same. Going for Novak but won’t be completely disappointed if Mededev wins.

Want Novak to win but would not be disapointed if Medvedev wins... hell of a tennis player, gotta love his passion.
🇷🇺🇷🇸
Medevedev came across as a likeable bloke in the post match with Courier.

Liked the bit of by-play during a break when he ran past Tsitsipas at a time he could see he was struggling physically. Also thought he handled the biased crowd in good spirit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Medvedev definitely provides the toughest challenge for Novak but I still see Novak winning in either 4 or 5 sets. He's been so dominant on this court for so long, I can't pick against him. Cheering hard for Meddy though.

Medvedev should be the favourite in my opinion. On a 20 match win streak (12 of those wins against Top 10 opponents), has blasted those ranked close to him off the court in the quarter and semi (Rublev and Tsitsipas) and his form is incredible. I cannot see Djokovic winning the match tonight given his form these 2 weeks, he has had a battle in most matches. Apart from the match against Krajinovic, Medvedev has dominated his opponents. Medvedev has beaten Djokovic 3 times before, including the last time they played late last year, he won't be concerned facing Novak.

Djokovic
Rd 1 def Chardy 6-3 6-1 6-2
Rd 1 def Tiafoe 6-3 6-7 7-6 6-3
Rd 3 def Fritz 7-6 6-4 3-6 4-6 6-2
Rd 4 def Raonic 7-6 4-6 6-1 6-4
1/4 def Zverev 6-7 6-2 6-4 7-6
1/2 def Karatsev 6-3 6-4 6-2

Medvedev
Rd 1 def Pospisil 6-2 6-2 6-4
Rd 2 def Carbelles Baena 6-2 7-5 6-1
Rd 3 def Krajinovic 6-3 6-3 4-6 3-6 6-0
Rd 4 def Mcdonald 6-4 6-2 6-3
1/4 def Rublev 7-5 6-3 6-2
1/2 def Tsistsipas 6-4 6-2 7-5

Can't wait for this. Med looks ready for the moment, one of the two biggest challenges in tennis right now.

Hoping for 5 and siding with Novak, but nothing would surprise.

Hopefully Meds wins so we have a new winner but won't be disappointed if Novak wins. Heard this is his 9th aus open final? That is nuts!

Are they both similar styles of players? It looked like meds hardly broke a sweat vs Tsists.

All I want though is a 5 set thriller and multiple ubereats vouchers.

Back