Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 13, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adel, Adel Utd, Sunderland
Post any comments about the upcoming Australian Open, personally, i think Federer again will be too strong but Marat Safin could go close, in the womens draw, i want to see Alicia Molik do well but i think Henin Hardenne or Serena Williams will tkae it out, any thoughts??

As trends are currently going, it will be another all-Russian affair in the womens singles, possibly Dementieva again making it to another singles final. Myskina, Sharapova, Kuznetsova are undeniable chances. Would love to see Molik do well (possibly making it to a quarter/semi final).

As far as the mens singles are concerned, you cant go past Federer although Agassi is again an undeniable chance too there (it is his favourite surface). Love to see Hewitt make it to at least a semi final. Safin will again be hard to beat. Expect some suprise upsets in the first week, with a few top 10 players bundling out in the first three rounds.

I hope federer will go down a level...or self destruct or something. Cant see anyone outclassing federer really. I really hope hewitt stays away from federer till the finals.

let's hope Lleyton can do it for the Aussies, but Federer is a class above, he would have to be having an off day to get done.

As for the womens, Sharapova/Myskina/Demetieva (great to see the Williams sisters stranglehold disappearing0

LEFT FOOTER said:
let's hope Lleyton can do it for the Aussies, but Federer is a class above, he would have to be having an off day to get done.

As for the womens, Sharapova/Myskina/Demetieva (great to see the Williams sisters stranglehold disappearing0

Welcome to bigfooty Left Footer :) ..Yeah i hope lleyton can do it too.. certainly anything less than a semi finals will be dissappointing.

Henin Hardenne is out too. Good news for Molik who IMO is Australia's only chance. Hewitt simply can't win a major on the Aussie hardcourt (rebound ace). It does not suit his game at all. I also think it'll be out of Federer, Safin or Agassi.

Funkalicous said:
Does anyone think Jochim Johanson (sp?) could be a smokey?

Its Joachim Johansson, and I would say he has a very good chance. I saw the game against Roddick last year and he was very good. Didn't play aswell against Hewitt, but he had never made a semi-final of a grand slam and playing your gf's brother would have been tough. He won Adelaide today though and was very impressive. Seeded 3 at sydney and should go well. I think he has a chance to press towards the quarters/semi's, but I really can't see anyone beating Federer this year

Federer will win playing left-handed and blindfolded.

And in the women, Mauresmo to not win. Easy call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys on SEN's Ring Of Fire last night were contemplating how Roche could help Federer. They suggested Roche could help him by making sure his fringe is cut short enough, that his socks match, that he picks colorful shirts, etc etc. Hilarious stuff. Federer needs help spending his money, and that's it. A long way off, but I hope he wins the first 3 slams, then destroys Roddick in the US Open final for the 2005 Grand Slam, not cos I hate Roddick, but I hate what many Americans have to say about Federer, and to think that even to this day, some will argue that Roddick is still a better player :rolleyes:

Federer is an aewsome player but it's getting a little boring seeing him continuously beat everyone with ease.

It's enjoyable to see his skills on display but it's almost always non-competitive one way traffic.

red+black said:
but I hate what many Americans have to say about Federer
What have they been saying :confused:

Obviously Federer is the man the beat, and normally I'd say that if Roddick keeps it together for a whole match then he's got the ability to overpower anyone - including Federer.
However, given that Federer's destroyed him in recent matches on hardcourt, there seems little chance of that happening at the Open.
I agree with those that say Johansson is a guy to keep an eye one - he's solid off the ground and more than just a big serve.

As for the women's, you never know with the Williams sisters nowadays - they've got the ability to just turn up to tournaments and rip through the field.
Then there's the Russian production line - there's so many of them now I don't know which is which.

...speaking of Russian, I expect a full preview with round by round matchups and predictions as the tournament progresses ;)

Would love to see Schnyder go well again. IMO her forehand is the most beautiful shot in tennis, so exuberant, yet classical.
Myskina is my tip for the women's and Federer for the Men's.

Cheers.

I want to have a bet (good value minus Federer and Hewitt) so I'll see who is on the opposite side of the draw to Fed and punt on someone knocking him off before the final.

Here's the full list of the seedings:

Men
1. Roger Federer (SWI)
2. Andy Roddick (USA)
3. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
4. Marat Safin (RUS)
5. Carlos Moya (SPA)
6. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
7. Tim Henman (GBR)
8. Andre Agassi (USA)
9. David Nalbandian (ARG)
10. Gaston Gaudio (ARG)
11. Joachim Johansson (SWE)
12. Guillermo Canas (ARG)
13. Tommy Robredo (SPA)
14. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)
15. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
16. Tommy Haas (GER)
17. Andrei Pavel (ROM)
18. Nicolas Massu (CHI)
19. Vincent Spadea (USA)
20. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
21. Nicolas Kiefer (GER)
22. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
23. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
24. Feliciano Lopez (SPA)
25. Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)
26. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
27. Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
28. Mario Ancic (CRO)
29. Taylor Dent (USA)
30. Thomas Johansson (SWE)
31. Juan Carlos Ferrero (SPA)
32. Jurgen Melzer (AUT).

Women
1. Lindsay Davenport (USA)
2. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
3. Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
4. Maria Sharapova (RUS)
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
6. Elena Dementieva (RUS)
7. Serena Williams (USA)
8. Venus Williams (USA)
9. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
10. Alicia Molik (AUS)
11. Nadia Petrova (RUS)
12. Patty Schnyder (SWI)
13. Karolina Sprem (CRO)
14. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
15. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
16. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
17. Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)
18. Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
19. Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
20. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
21. Amy Frazier (USA)
22. Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)
23. Jelena Jankovic (SEM)
24. Mary Pierce (FRA)
25. Lisa Raymond (USA)
26. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
27. Anna Smashnova (ISR)
28. Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)
29. Gisela Dulko (ARG)
30. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
31. Jelena Kostanic (CRO)
32. Iveta Benesova (CZE).

The other news is that Mark Phillipoussis has officially pulled out. I suspect that's the end of the road for the Scud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back