Grand Slam Australian Open qualifying

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
bad news for Aussie Maddison Inglis. Lost first round of qualies to Kiki Mladenovic.

Maddison was defending 3rd round points from a year ago.

Will fall massively in the rankings now. loses a 1/3 of her rankings points in one week

Why didn't they give her a wildcard? There's like 8 of them right less the French, US and Asia/Pacific ones, so 5. I couldn't name 5 Aussie women outside the top 100. You'd think last year would count for something.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Why didn't they give her a wildcard? There's like 8 of them right less the French, US and Asia/Pacific ones, so 5. I couldn't name 5 Aussie women outside the top 100. You'd think last year would count for something.
her form is probably not good enough.

probably a lot of politics goes on with these WC's behind the scene.

They went for youth and it's the right call. I hate wildcards but if they have to stay, go with the ones that are young. Inglis is a sweet girl and having met her a few times a great chick, but lets be real for a second here what is her ceiling? Maybe top 100? 75 at best. What is the point? Give it to a young girl and hope they can build on it, aren't losing anything if she loses 1st round anyway.

Wow Andreeva very impressive, she lifted her intensity and power after the 1st set where it looked like Zavatska had the answers. Another teenager close to qualifying.

such a shame they drew each other could have both won easily. Saw most of the last two sets brilliant hitting from both players

Kudermetova’s younger sister Polina wins and is also into the final round of qualifying. Teenagers could make a big wave here in qualifiers, one win to go for them…

there are a raft of players under injury clouds so literally making the final round could get you in as a LL

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
They went for youth and it's the right call. I hate wildcards but if they have to stay, go with the ones that are young. Inglis is a sweet girl and having met her a few times a great chick, but lets be real for a second here what is her ceiling? Maybe top 100? 75 at best. What is the point? Give it to a young girl and hope they can build on it, aren't losing anything if she loses 1st round anyway.
I thought that too, but they also gave a WC to Storm Hunter(nee Saunders), who is 28.

you are right about Inglis and her ceiling.

I thought that too, but they also gave a WC to Storm Hunter(nee Saunders), who is 28.

you are right about Inglis and her ceiling.

Least they only gifted one rubbish one to Storm that’s a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Ok so the qualifiers have been placed:

[Q] Bucsa v [Q] Lys
Juvan v [Q] Janicijevic
[Q] Tsurenko v Muchova
[Q] B. Fruhvirtova v Sasnovich
[Q] P. Kudermetova v Gadecki
[20] Krejcikova v [Q] Bejlek
Gibson v [Q] Burel
[Q] Vandeweghe v Kalinina
Kucova v [Q] Shnaider
[Q] Stefanini v Maria
[Q] Volynets v Rodina
[Q] Sebov v [4] Garcia
[Q] Hartono v Rogers
[21] Trevisan v [Q] Schmiedlova
Vekic v [Q] Selekhmeteva

Cmon Lys!!

Agreed. Sasnovich is a player you watch and think why isn’t she better but you watch for long enough and realise why. Talented but has flaws. She could definitely beat her.

Also you know she’ll flop games and sets, and her serve is poor most of the time. Not saying she wins but I like that draw very even.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Least they only gifted one rubbish one to Storm that’s a positive.
That's unfair on Storm, she has been playing at a top 100 level over the past year. Only reason her singles ranking isn't way higher is because she's done so well in doubles that she has had to miss playing singles in WTA events.

That's unfair on Storm, she has been playing at a top 100 level over the past year. Only reason her singles ranking isn't way higher is because she's done so well in doubles that she has had to miss playing singles in WTA events.

My point remains. Not a fan of wildcards period

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Noticed the Czechs next gen is very strong again in the girls.

Brenda Fruhvirtova, is 15 and has made the main draw. (5th youngest player in the main draw of the AO ever) There is another 16 year old as well. That is on top of Noskova, who didnt make it.

They are scary good. What is in the water over there

I think wildcards are okay but when it comes to a Grand Slam it should be less about local players. Main tour events are different

This and have a maximum number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back