Naomi Osaka (3) (JPN)
v
Jennifer Brady (22) (USA)

Head 2 Head
Osaka 2-1

Last Played
US Open Semi-Final 2020
7-6(1), 3-6, 6-3 Osaka

That last match was epic. Brady really took it up to Osaka and was one of the matches of the tournament. Brady is a great story. She decided to switch things up and train in Germany, not content with her 50-80 ranking. That hard work has paid off in the last 2 years and she is a quality player. The thing is, I can't see her beating Osaka. In the US, Brady played the best game of her career, and it was still not good enough. She is not at that level here than at the US Open, with the faster courts not allowing her to hit the forehand at full power, and perhaps the HQ she did has not helped. Her run to the final was also easier compared to Osaka but more taxing in the last 2 matches, especially v Muchova.

Where Brady is below her US level, Osaka has moved up another level. She did nearly lose to Mugurza, saving 2 match points, but her comeback.. well she is playing like Serena was in her prime. Just a level above all opponents and rarely troubled, and if she is, she turns on the afterburners. After going Matchpoints down v Mugurza, she didn't hit another UE for the entire match. She held her nerve v Serena. Osaka isn't just the actual number 1 player in the world(sorry Barty), she is playing like the player of this generation. Ohh, and she hasn't lost for nearly 12 months.. For me, Osaka in 2 sets. 6-4, 6,2.

We also have the Mixed Doubles Final after.
Stosur/Ebden v Krejcikova/Ram

They must be hard up trying to get fans to come in for tonights match. Staff have been allowed to obtain two free tickets to tonight's final via ballot. If you know a staff member working at the AO, might be worthwhile hitting them up and see if they can get some if you are interested in going.

Bolsova
Brengle
Juvan
Vekic
Pegula
Muchova

Would be one of the kindest runs to a final ever

Vekic and Pengula are extremely dangerous....and it’s hardly her fault that Barty is a choker so Muchova is in the semi (she would have thrashed Barty anyway)

Just read this on reddit:

"Don't tell Osaka this but the last 7 women to beat Serena in a major non-final lost their next match. This dates back to Alize Cornet at 2014 Wimbledon lol"

Intriguing if true...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Naomi loses 6 - 0 6 - 0 how dare she beat Serena :(
Forget the last match and Brady just seems like an arrogant twat for me! Type of player I want to see get beat.

My goodness any chance of starting on time lol
noticed that the entire tournament.

It is tough to get really excited about this final. It has all the hallmarks of being lopsided, and I rate Brady. here's hoping we get a surprise.

Last edited:
The women’s side was such a major disappointment for me. Azarenka, Rybakina, Kostyuk, Sabalenka losing to Serena, Swiatek losing to Halep. Don’t have any care for the final, hope Brady wins as I don’t like Osaka. But that’s not going to happen.

Jeepers they looked like they had more than 7,500 last night

Tonight it's barely VFL standard, a lot of empty seats.

Would you pay for tonight’s rubbish? You couldn’t pay me enough

Back