Society/Culture Australian Property Prices to Crash?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deliverance

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fair enough for developers to do that. They're just taking advantage of the fact that tax advantaged investors prefer existing housing stocks. First home buyers are forced in to the development end of town, because supply in inner/middle suburbs is sapped up by said investors.

HirdsTheWord

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
What's your point?

You're down on Capitalism because you think it's unfair people can't have what they can't afford?
no, I have nothing against capitalism - and your comment about "cant have what they cant afford" is frankly, a piss take. It isn't about having what you cant afford. Its about being able to have the same opportunities as previous generations based on your ability to work hard. Not simply rewarding dumb luck based on what time you were born in. This balance is now basically eroded based on the governments lack of forsight.

My main gripe is and has always been that the Government & the RBA have allowed the Australian Property Market to be first and foremost a money making scheme, as opposed to the basic commodity of it being a place where you live and raise a family.

The mere fact that investors are now forecasted to buy more property than first home buyers just proves this point.

We are literally pissing away our children's chances of every buying a home because we are all too focused on making money now, as opposed to doing the right thing for the future.

How the Government & The RBA are simply letting this continue without any intervention is absolutely mind boggling. They are letting it get to a point where they cannot switch the machine off without people going into financial ruin. Of which they will need to bail them out.

I am literally the ONLY person I have seen on this thread, who is an investor that has welcomed removal of negative gearing and increased Taxation on investment properties.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I am literally the ONLY person I have seen on this thread, who is an investor that has welcomed removal of negative gearing and increased Taxation on investment properties.
It's easy for you to take the moral high ground when you're household income is what, 300k? (vaguely remember you mentioning you and your partner on good coin)

Screaming at the top of your lungs with I'm happy to sacrifice by paying more tax and not negative gear means it doesn't effect you the slightest if it was introduced.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's easy for you to take the moral high ground when you're household income is what, 300k? (vaguely remember you mentioning you and your partner on good coin)

Screaming at the top of your lungs with I'm happy to sacrifice by paying more tax and not negative gear means it doesn't effect you the slightest if it was introduced.
The worst attempt at virtue signalling or else being dishonest about his personal circumstances

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

My income has nothing to do with it, my income doesn't drive up housing prices. I got educated & worked hard. That should be the aim of everyone.

I'm not saying people shouldn't and cant invest in things to maximize their money. I'm saying it should never have been allowed to be a commodity like housing. The government should have allowed better reforms for people to invest in other areas like business, stocks etc etc.

If we keep not thinking about future generations what are our kids going to to in 30 years? just limit themselves to rent?

The theme of this thread is "fu** the future generations, I want my investment now. They can just live hours away from the city. Deal with it"

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I understand the anxiety that leads to feeling that any change will screw you up. But really it’s such a skewed market and young people are being told β€œtoo bad, get your mum to buy you a house”.
'
that or live within your means

2 hours out from your work place

people are assholes.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
My income has nothing to do with it, my income doesn't drive up housing prices. I got educated & worked hard. That should be the aim of everyone.

I'm not saying people shouldn't and cant invest in things to maximize their money. I'm saying it should never have been allowed to be a commodity like housing. The government should have allowed better reforms for people to invest in other areas like business, stocks etc etc.

If we keep not thinking about future generations what are our kids going to to in 30 years? just limit themselves to rent?

The theme of this thread is "fu** the future generations, I want my investment now. They can just live hours away from the city. Deal with it"
Your income has everything to do with it, if everyone was paid the same janitors and doctors equal pay. People from different walks of life have equal chances to live where they want.

Investing in houses isn't solely Australian, it's a global market. I'm sure New York went through similar like our major cities, people adapt and don't expect hand outs.

If I decided to have kids I will subdivide my positived geared rental which is a tiny house in geelong I lived in for 7 years into 2 town houses and give them one each for their 25th birthday. I realise future generations might not have the same opportunities than the past but I'm not going to sook about it I'm preparing for it.

Because you and chief have silver spoons and golden gooses you think it gives you the right to dictate what lesser earning people should do with their money.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

In 30 years there will be less people working in the CBD than there is today.

2020 was a window into the future where people rarely go to an office.

Last edited:

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

Well if all future generations live hours away from the city that would probably become the new city.

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Your income has everything to do with it, if everyone was paid the same janitors and doctors equal pay. People from different walks of life have equal chances to live where they want.

Investing in houses isn't a solely Australian, it's a global market. I'm sure New York went through similar like our major cities, people adapt and don't expect hand outs.

If I decided to have kids I will subdivide my positived geared rental which is a tiny house in geelong I lived in for 7 years into 2 town houses and give them one each for their 25th birthday. I realise future generations might not have the same opportunities than the past but I'm not sook about it I'm preparing for it.

Because you and chief have silver spoons and golden gooses you think it gives you the right to dictate what lesser earning people should do with their money.
1) I didn't have a golden hand out. I worked my way up. I didn't get anything from my parents. Having to get by on handouts from the bank of mum and dad just creates further inequality in the system.
2) I didn't tell you, nor anyone else in this thread how to invest their money, or what to do with it. I simply pointed out that I think the government needs to step in to stem the issue. You could invest in cock rings for all I care. latest figures show Investors are Forecast to buy more housing than First Home Buyers. That is not a good thing.
3) New York is exactly the issue of WHY we need to stem the issue now, you have literally just proven the point. People who live their live in sh*t holes that they cant afford to buy. They rent for life unless they live in Queens etc.

Last edited:

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well if all future generations live hours away from the city that would probably become the new city.
I'd say so, but the government has about as much ineptitude for good infrastructure as it does with housing.

So i would still bet on people having to travel into major CBD's

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
In 30 years there will be less people working in the CBD than there is today.

2020 was a window into the future where people rarely go to an office.
Not really.

The far Majority of people in the workforce are back in physical offices.

Yes there are still people lucky enough to work from home but it is far from the norm.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
1) I didn't have a golden hand out. I worked my way up. I didn't get anything from my parents. Having to merely on handouts from the bank of mum and dad just creates further inequality in the system.
2) I didn't tell you, nor anyone else in this thread how to invest their money, or what to do with it. I simply pointed out that I think the government needs to step in to stem the issue. You could invest in cock rings for all I care.
3) New York is exactly the issue of WHY we need to stem the issue now, you have literally just proven the point. People who live their live in sh*t holes that they cant afford to buy. They rent for life.
And just like that everyone HirdsTheWord ignores my first sentence about high incomes, obscene wages are an issue. But you won't point your crusade towards reducing the top end of town or equal pay for all professions because it would effect you personally. You rather shoot arrows from your ivory tower and sh*t on mum and day investors trying to set up their own and families future.

You're just as selfish as anyone else, probably worse because you act righteously that your not.

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
And just like that everyone HirdsTheWord ignores my first sentence about high incomes, obscene wages are an issue. But you won't point your crusade towards reducing the top end of town or equal pay for all professions because it would effect you personally. You rather shoot arrows from your ivory tower and sh*t on mum and day investors trying to set up their own and families future.

You're just as selfish as anyone else, probably worse because you act righteously that your not.
LOL

I'm the one in here saying I am willing to get taxed more on my investments and lose negative gearing, and i'm the selfish one? hahaha? I am well aware of how lucky I have been in life, I have worked hard and reaped the benefits.

Like I said before I have no issues with people setting up your families investments, but not at the expense of future generations ability to do what we seemingly take for granted. Something needs to be done. Investors buying more houses than first home buyers is not a good thing.

Like i said before.

"fu** everyone else if it impacts me" is the theme of this thread. You have just confirmed your onboard.

Last edited:

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Not really.

The far Majority of people in the workforce are back in physical offices.

Yes there are still people lucky enough to work from home but it is far from the norm.
Not sure when you last visited Melbourne's CBD on a weekday afternoon but its like a quiet weekend.

Many people are working a mix of home and office.

HirdsTheWord

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure when you last visited Melbourne's CBD on a weekday afternoon but its like a quiet weekend.

Many people are working a mix of home and office.
I live in sydney sorry

Sydney is well and truly back to pre COVID CBad activity except for the few companies still with WFH mandates, mainly the bigger tech companies

kaka

Rookie
Jul 10, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the things I am taking from this thread is that there is a lot of 40 year old gen x who are quite happy for the boom to continue as they are finally cashing in on housing like the boomers.
Gotta love people defending the 'capitalist' supply and demand when mortgages didn't need to be paid for 12 months and the government pumped every housing incentive and subsidised almost every business. Big thanks to millennial covering that debt alongside the costs of climate change

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad