Society/Culture Australian Property Prices to Crash?

unfortunate theme of the thread Chief.

"fu** everyone else if it impacts me"
I understand the anxiety that leads to feeling that any change will screw you up. But really it’s such a skewed market and young people are being told “too bad, get your mum to buy you a house”.

I understand the anxiety that leads to feeling that any change will screw you up. But really it’s such a skewed market and young people are being told “too bad, get your mum to buy you a house”.
'
that or live within your means

2 hours out from your work place

people are assholes.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
My income has nothing to do with it, my income doesn't drive up housing prices. I got educated & worked hard. That should be the aim of everyone.

I'm not saying people shouldn't and cant invest in things to maximize their money. I'm saying it should never have been allowed to be a commodity like housing. The government should have allowed better reforms for people to invest in other areas like business, stocks etc etc.

If we keep not thinking about future generations what are our kids going to to in 30 years? just limit themselves to rent?

The theme of this thread is "fu** the future generations, I want my investment now. They can just live hours away from the city. Deal with it"

Your income has everything to do with it, if everyone was paid the same janitors and doctors equal pay. People from different walks of life have equal chances to live where they want.

Investing in houses isn't solely Australian, it's a global market. I'm sure New York went through similar like our major cities, people adapt and don't expect hand outs.

If I decided to have kids I will subdivide my positived geared rental which is a tiny house in geelong I lived in for 7 years into 2 town houses and give them one each for their 25th birthday. I realise future generations might not have the same opportunities than the past but I'm not going to sook about it I'm preparing for it.

Because you and chief have silver spoons and golden gooses you think it gives you the right to dictate what lesser earning people should do with their money.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
My income has nothing to do with it, my income doesn't drive up housing prices. I got educated & worked hard. That should be the aim of everyone.

I'm not saying people shouldn't and cant invest in things to maximize their money. I'm saying it should never have been allowed to be a commodity like housing. The government should have allowed better reforms for people to invest in other areas like business, stocks etc etc.

If we keep not thinking about future generations what are our kids going to to in 30 years? just limit themselves to rent?

The theme of this thread is "fu** the future generations, I want my investment now. They can just live hours away from the city. Deal with it"

In 30 years there will be less people working in the CBD than there is today.

2020 was a window into the future where people rarely go to an office.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

Well if all future generations live hours away from the city that would probably become the new city.

Your income has everything to do with it, if everyone was paid the same janitors and doctors equal pay. People from different walks of life have equal chances to live where they want.

Investing in houses isn't a solely Australian, it's a global market. I'm sure New York went through similar like our major cities, people adapt and don't expect hand outs.

If I decided to have kids I will subdivide my positived geared rental which is a tiny house in geelong I lived in for 7 years into 2 town houses and give them one each for their 25th birthday. I realise future generations might not have the same opportunities than the past but I'm not sook about it I'm preparing for it.

Because you and chief have silver spoons and golden gooses you think it gives you the right to dictate what lesser earning people should do with their money.

1) I didn't have a golden hand out. I worked my way up. I didn't get anything from my parents. Having to get by on handouts from the bank of mum and dad just creates further inequality in the system.
2) I didn't tell you, nor anyone else in this thread how to invest their money, or what to do with it. I simply pointed out that I think the government needs to step in to stem the issue. You could invest in utensil rings for all I care. latest figures show Investors are Forecast to buy more housing than First Home Buyers. That is not a good thing.
3) New York is exactly the issue of WHY we need to stem the issue now, you have literally just proven the point. People who live their live in s**t holes that they cant afford to buy. They rent for life unless they live in Queens etc.

Last edited:
Well if all future generations live hours away from the city that would probably become the new city.

I'd say so, but the government has about as much ineptitude for good infrastructure as it does with housing.

So i would still bet on people having to travel into major CBD's

In 30 years there will be less people working in the CBD than there is today.

2020 was a window into the future where people rarely go to an office.

Not really.

The far Majority of people in the workforce are back in physical offices.

Yes there are still people lucky enough to work from home but it is far from the norm.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
1) I didn't have a golden hand out. I worked my way up. I didn't get anything from my parents. Having to merely on handouts from the bank of mum and dad just creates further inequality in the system.
2) I didn't tell you, nor anyone else in this thread how to invest their money, or what to do with it. I simply pointed out that I think the government needs to step in to stem the issue. You could invest in utensil rings for all I care.
3) New York is exactly the issue of WHY we need to stem the issue now, you have literally just proven the point. People who live their live in sh*t holes that they cant afford to buy. They rent for life.
And just like that everyone HirdsTheWord ignores my first sentence about high incomes, obscene wages are an issue. But you won't point your crusade towards reducing the top end of town or equal pay for all professions because it would effect you personally. You rather shoot arrows from your ivory tower and s**t on mum and day investors trying to set up their own and families future.

You're just as selfish as anyone else, probably worse because you act righteously that your not.

And just like that everyone HirdsTheWord ignores my first sentence about high incomes, obscene wages are an issue. But you won't point your crusade towards reducing the top end of town or equal pay for all professions because it would effect you personally. You rather shoot arrows from your ivory tower and sh*t on mum and day investors trying to set up their own and families future.

You're just as selfish as anyone else, probably worse because you act righteously that your not.

LOL

I'm the one in here saying I am willing to get taxed more on my investments and lose negative gearing, and i'm the selfish one? hahaha? I am well aware of how lucky I have been in life, I have worked hard and reaped the benefits.

Like I said before I have no issues with people setting up your families investments, but not at the expense of future generations ability to do what we seemingly take for granted. Something needs to be done. Investors buying more houses than first home buyers is not a good thing.

Like i said before.

"* everyone else if it impacts me" is the theme of this thread. You have just confirmed your onboard.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Not really.

The far Majority of people in the workforce are back in physical offices.

Yes there are still people lucky enough to work from home but it is far from the norm.

Not sure when you last visited Melbourne's CBD on a weekday afternoon but its like a quiet weekend.

Many people are working a mix of home and office.

Not sure when you last visited Melbourne's CBD on a weekday afternoon but its like a quiet weekend.

Many people are working a mix of home and office.

I live in sydney sorry

Sydney is well and truly back to pre COVID CBad activity except for the few companies still with WFH mandates, mainly the bigger tech companies

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
One of the things I am taking from this thread is that there is a lot of 40 year old gen x who are quite happy for the boom to continue as they are finally cashing in on housing like the boomers.
Gotta love people defending the 'capitalist' supply and demand when mortgages didn't need to be paid for 12 months and the government pumped every housing incentive and subsidised almost every business. Big thanks to millennial covering that debt alongside the costs of climate change

This is about supply and demand because property prices will only ease when supply is greater than demand.

More public housing and greater decentralization would help.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Here’s another perspective on property movement this year.

I live in Safety Bay, W.A.

About 50kms south of Perth CBD on the coast.

2 years ago I counted 18 beachside/ocean facing houses for sale at one stage. None of these properties were selling.

Mate of mine bought one for 690k in April last year and it just sold for 1.2 million last month.

Every property I’ve seen for sale in last 6 months has sold within a month or so
and there’s been a lot of them going up for sale.

Meanwhile, a few streets back from the beach you can buy a decent size 4x2 home on a 700 sqr mtr block for around 400k. And they are selling fast after listing.

The suburb next to it, Shoalwater, is even better with more 800k to one million dollar homes in a smaller area and very close to the ocean.

But dotted In between are nice units for 250 - 300k that rent out for $350 a week.

There is a massive squeeze on rental vacancies all over Perth and investors are piling in to snap up properties that haven’t gone up much in value for 6 or 7 years.

There’s a bit of a boom going on for sure.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
supply in inner/middle suburbs is sapped up by said investors.

See, now you're just discriminating against inner city renters...

The theme of this thread is "fu** the future generations, I want my investment now

Just playing the game champ, contact your local member if you have a problem with Government policies / immigration etc.

people are assholes.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

And again you say we should think of the nest generation, yet you have investment properties....so you preach one thing and do the opposite

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Imagine if supply wasn't being sapped up by investors, inner city renters would be able to afford to buy there. Supply and demand, eco 101.

It's possible to hate both the players and the game. The players actively rallied and voted against housing investment reform, for selfish reasons at the last federal election. He's right, these people are assholes.

And again you say we should think of the nest generation, yet you have investment properties....so you preach one thing and do the opposite

wtf are you on about? I didn't say people need to give up their investment properties........

I said we should be getting taxed more on them......

hilarious that I am being called a virtual signaler for saying I am happy to be taxed more more my investment properties....maybe ill be burned at the stake next.

Just playing the game champ, contact your local member if you have a problem with Government policies / immigration etc.

do you actually even read what people write?

I said its the government who need to act........the "game" as you call it needs to change in order to not ruin the future generations ability to buy a house.

People aren't assholes for doing what the government allows them to do, they are assholes because they only care about themselves. IE as evident in this thread. I'm getting called a virtual signaler because i'm happy to get taxed more? The fear of people is palpable. Meanwhile investor loans are out numbering first home buyer loans, this clearly shows their is an issue with the system.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
People aren't assholes for doing what the government allows them to do, they are assholes because they only care about themselves. IE as evident in this thread. I'm getting called a virtual signaler because i'm happy to get taxed more? ahahhahaa. The fear of people is palpable.

Again, bagging yourself out for playing along with the rules. If you are so against it, dont claim the loan interest as a deduction or any deductions for that matter.

Back