Australian Rules... one for us, and one for others: Opinion Piece by Patrick Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

support the local team or the amateurs 61 ;)

simple
problem solved

you dont need to see the football thru a television lens or a murdoch backpage tabloid. if the game and a competition is so important, there will be local teams that will love your support.

*caveat: not assuming you DONT have your local team your family played for, I am assuming you did. so that would have been my false-dichotomy. I was not asserting that tho'.
My boy plays. I follow his team. But I refuse to give up on the hope that the majority of players in the AFL aren't on the gear.

I've stated many times Jobe should lose the Brownlow now. Grow up, or if you want to give your views on me personally, send a PM (not that I'll respond).

Why don't you answer the question if you want to have a discussion?

Who exactly is Smith accusing of hypocrisy?

Otherwise, stop clogging threads with your bullshit.
The AFL. Australian sporting governance. Australians in general. That's my take.

One complaint, Mr Smith. What is this 'witch doctor' s**t right before putting 'rogue' in quotations? You are towing the PR line while simultaneously chastising others for doing the same thing.

There are no 'witch doctors' injecting PEDs into athletes. Just people who are paid to do a very specific job.
His witch doctor analogy suggests that there are employees working in the medical field in significant roles without the expected training - Dank being one of them.

The rogue quotation was tongue-in-cheek. He doesn't believe Dank was acting rogue.

I don't understand your issue with the above.

I've stated many times Jobe should lose the Brownlow now. Grow up, or if you want to give your views on me personally, send a PM (not that I'll respond).

Clogging the "threads"?
You have an opinion on what he wrote and you think it has to be correct? ok
I think he was actually taking about any Australian athlete, if he changed the name to Raelene Boyle, would you have still said the same thing?

His witch doctor analogy suggests that there are employees working in the medical field in significant roles without the expected training - Dank being one of them.

The rogue quotation was tongue-in-cheek. He doesn't believe Dank was acting rogue.

I don't understand your issue with the above.

I know his 'rogue' quote was tongue in cheek, that was my point.

'Witch doctor' evokes similar mental imagery as 'rogue' even if they mean entirely different things. I agree with you that it suggests that a lack of training or experimentation is the problem. But that's the problem the AFL want you to think about, not the real problem - deliberate doping by athletes.

Thus Smith is either unwittingly or deliberately pushing a PR narrative while simultaneously seeking to attack the same narrative.

Clogging the "threads"?
You have an opinion on what he wrote and you think it has to be correct? ok
I think he was actually taking about any Australian athlete, if he changed the name to Raelene Boyle, would you have still said the same thing?

Depends. Does Raelene Boyle support Essendon? :)

Smith is accusing the AFL of hypocrisy and talking about their double standards. I agree with his comments. Double standards are nothing for AFL House and I for one am happy to see them being put under the microscope.

Smith is accusing the AFL of hypocrisy and talking about their double standards. I agree with his comments. Double standards are nothing for AFL House and I for one am happy to see them being put under the microscope.

Mate, I live for the day the AFL gets investigated for illegal practices. The rats would be deserting the ship in droves :)

It'll probably never happen though, the AFL have too many friends in high places.

Mate, I live for the day the AFL gets investigated for illegal practices. The rats would be deserting the ship in droves :)

It'll probably never happen though, the AFL have too many friends in high places.

Will never happen.

1. Too many vested interests
2. Any pollie not opposing it would be cut down by other pollies using it as a PR weapon
3. AFL would use it as a PR weapon
4. AFL / Associates would have dirt on so many rich and powerful, including pollies that it would leave the top end of Oz a wasteland.
5. Who stands to gain by upsetting the gravy train? (and don't say the people. Even though that would be true, the people don't count)

Best you could hope for is some fallout from a civil war exposing some of the cockroaches inhabiting the top floors of AFL House but the clean up will never occur.

One complaint, Mr Smith. What is this 'witch doctor' s**t right before putting 'rogue' in quotations? You are towing the PR line while simultaneously chastising others for doing the same thing.

There are no 'witch doctors' injecting PEDs into athletes. Just people who are paid to do a very specific job.
pretty sure you can pay witch doctors to do specific jobs, but that's not to imply I'm missing your point

You're kidding me, right?

Those who move in the same circles know who does what and with whom. Its the same with your circle of friends.
No I'm not kidding. People can still keep secrets from each other, and the AFL isn't some omniscient power. A lot of people in power don't even have any interest in the sport, so I highly doubt they're going to be rubbing shoulders telling them their darkest secrets. You're over-exaggerating the pull the AFL has, look what happened when they went up against WADA - had their tail between their legs. The AFL can't do s**t, their top brass is incompetent and wouldn't be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag. So what makes you think that they'd turn the top of Oz into a wasteland? This isn't the NSA or the CIA.

And even if they did, it works both ways - the "rich and powerful" as you call it can make it plenty hard for them. Would it be worth the risk to make such powerful enemies? Just imagine, a sudden leak to B&M with evidence of systemic corruption and criminal activity. Gil might look dumb, but he's not that dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I'm not kidding. People can still keep secrets from each other, and the AFL isn't some omniscient power. A lot of people in power don't even have any interest in the sport, so I highly doubt they're going to be rubbing shoulders telling them their darkest secrets. You're over-exaggerating the pull the AFL has, look what happened when they went up against WADA - had their tail between their legs. The AFL can't do s**t, their top brass is incompetent and wouldn't be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag. So what makes you think that they'd turn the top of Oz into a wasteland? This isn't the NSA or the CIA.

And even if they did, it works both ways - the "rich and powerful" as you call it can make it plenty hard for them. Would it be worth the risk to make such powerful enemies? Just imagine, a sudden leak to B&M with evidence of systemic corruption and criminal activity. Gil might look dumb, but he's not that dumb.

Well its clear you failed to actually read my post, since you're now repeating some of the points I raised.

This is exactly why I said it won't happen, now you're agreeing with me.

As for the AFL being an omniscient power, no, they are not. What they do have are strong links with business. Have a look. High level corporate sponsorships (both the AFL and all of the clubs), links with media corporations (AFL and all of the clubs), common board members as large corporations, unions, etc) The links at that level are multiple and serious. Why do you think that nobody took the AFL to task over their handling of this issue. Why do you think that the AFL pretty much did as they wanted until this issue went outside Australia. Yes, there is a huge amount of influence in the AFL's corner. I'll repeat what I said earlier, people at that level know things that can damage each other. They don't do it because its a two way street and everybody can damage each other.

This isn't rocket science

What they do have are strong links with business. Have a look. High level corporate sponsorships (both the AFL and all of the clubs), links with media corporations (AFL and all of the clubs), common board members as large corporations, unions, etc) The links at that level are multiple and serious. Why do you think that nobody took the AFL to task over their handling of this issue. Why do you think that the AFL pretty much did as they wanted until this issue went outside Australia. Yes, there is a huge amount of influence in the AFL's corner. I'll repeat what I said earlier, people at that level know things that can damage each other. They don't do it because its a two way street and everybody can damage each other.

This isn't rocket science
We're on the same page mate, I'll I'm saying is that the AFL is not as powerful as some people think they are. These links you're describing, there are hundreds of them with multiple cross-overs and not all of these people are going to be best friends to each other, so I don't think the AFL has as much dirt on powerful people as you'd think. No one took the AFL to task because the general public (and the powers that be) have more important things to worry about than cheating in the AFL, something which they assumed the AFL would take care of themselves. Of course, the people who have followed this issue closely know better. But if you look from an outsider's perspective, the AFL's behaviour isn't even a blip on the radar.

The only way fix things for the better is to have all the clubs pass a vote of no-confidence to the current AFL leadership (if such a thing is possible), and force them to resign. It won't happen, but one can dream.

I was going to add something about culture to my post, re cheating, but decided not to as it was probably straying into SRP territory. But your comment bolded is in essence all about culture (and indeed cultures/cultural relativity paradigms), if we want to get right into it.

a S-M is anyone who believes words from Vlad and Gillon and does not see the emperors clothes

Unicorn may be more appropriate, given soccer mom's exist.

Smith is to sports journalism what Phillip Adams is to social affairs.

If you sift through his s**t you get the odd diamond (Adams must have some compromising photos of Rupes).

His work on Cornflakes was amusing. At least doesn't give the impression of being spoon fed by Affal house like quite a few.

i still like my conspiracy, instead of taking down the big guys like swan cloke and pendles, they just got the small fish at lexus centre.

Bloody Hell, next thing you will be saying some quality players at Hawthorn allegedly failed drug tests and Travis Tuck was thrown to the wolves.

Smith just wants to watch the world burn.

Just Windy Hill. Plenty would be offering him matches and petrol.

Unicorn may be more appropriate, given soccer mom's exist.

If you sift through his s**t you get the odd diamond (Adams must have some compromising photos of Rupes).

His work on Cornflakes was amusing. At least doesn't give the impression of being spoon fed by Affal house like quite a few.

Bloody Hell, next thing you will be saying some quality players at Hawthorn allegedly failed drug tests and Travis Tuck was thrown to the wolves.

Just Windy Hill. Plenty would be offering him matches and petrol.

blackcat is a cheater apologist from way back, meds.

I'd suggest he was on the Tulla pay roll but I doubt Essendon could afford him.

meds, 61_99 can tell you it aint soccer moms it is succour moms

jenny61_99
Don't make me come over there and smack you!.

I can see though, I don't qualify for a succour mom based on your own definition:
a S-M is anyone who believes words from Vlad and Gillon and does not see the emperors clothes. :p

Interesting tidbit in a story about Haynes NFL retirement to play in the Olympics.

As Mike Florio noted Sunday night on Pro Football Talk, an Australian anti-doping official points out that Olympic athletes must be in the World Anti-Doping Agency program for six months before to the Olympics in order to be eligible. Whether Hayne has been in the program was unknown Sunday night, and it couldn’t be determined whether the WADA strictures would disqualify Hayne. If it does, we have a story. But for a moment, let’s assume Hayne can play in the Olympics—and left the 49ers because he truly has a deep desire to be an Olympic athlete, as he said in his retirement statement.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/15/tom-coughlin-dwight-freeney-jarryd-hayne-nfl

Wonder if Hayne has been in the WADA testing program long enough to qualify for the Olympics?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back