Australian Rules State of Origin Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
The VFL, SANFL and WAFL invented the concept. Every year I'm frustrated with the Rugby League world run their state of Origin competition.

The AFL could run a SoO knockout with all the states (combining ACT with NSW and please just call it NSW). The final two teams each year could play a three game series similar to RL. Victoria may not always be one of those two teams. The women could play in a mirrored State of Origin competition after the AFLW season.

It would be awesome to have this after the GF. If RL can do it, the AFL can too.

Grand final players could join state of origin camps after the GF similar to RL.

I still remember watch Victoria play SA and WA and really looking forward to the games. Please bring State of Origin football back!!

Australia is ful of great players that play footy and it would be a spectacle to watch

The VFL, SANFL and WAFL invented the concept. Every year I'm frustrated with the Rugby League world run their state of Origin competition.

The AFL could run a SoO knockout with all the states (combining ACT with NSW and please just call it NSW). The final two teams each year could play a three game series similar to RL. Victoria may not always be one of those two teams. The women could play in a mirrored State of Origin competition after the AFLW season.

It would be awesome to have this after the GF. If RL can do it, the AFL can too.

Grand final players could join state of origin camps after the GF similar to RL.

I still remember watch Victoria play SA and WA and really looking forward to the games. Please bring State of Origin football back!!

WA invented it, Leon Larkin who was at Subi at the time. WA were sick of the interstate competition based on the State League in which they played & the first Origin game (nominally where you played your junior footy) was played at Subi after the Gfs.
Imho the strength of the Rugby League version has always been it was limited to 2, with a best of 3 comp pulling GF level TV audiences. The best of the best, mate v mate.

You seem to be suggesting a comp like the interState carnivals of old:

The 1983 Carnival was played under Origin rules as an example:

The 1958 Melbourne Carnival involved 2 sections totalling 9 teams:
Section 1 consisted of two Victorian teams from the (VFL and VFA), South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania; Section 2 consisted of New South Wales, Canberra, Queensland and the Australian Amateurs.

AFL X is the way to go. That's the real stuff. Not. Absolute trash. I'd love the old state of origin but it won't happen. Not this bs Victoria vs the ALL-Stars. But as mentioned the Vics up against WA and SA.

Epic games they were.

Vic hasnt taken it seriously since the 1970s.

Do it with recently retired players maybe. And a send off rule to stop the rough stuff.

Vic took it seriously after WA pulled the big Vs pants down in the first ever game at the end of 1977.

The mate v mate syndrome that is a cornerstone of Leagues success (3 of the top 5 highest TV sports ratings year on year) was true of interstate Origin games.

Comes up multiple times every year. For every one of us that would love it (with real states) there is another who says the game is national and beyond needing it.
The clubs have big investments in their best players, they don't like the idea of releasing players. The only realistic time the clubs might allow it is post-season, when grounds aren't available. The AFLPA might be touchy on it unless the league serason was shortened without pay drops (though its no different to the two game International Rules jaunt).

Apart from the occasional fund raiser or commemorative date (ie- 175th year of Aus football etc.) we wont see rep football again and even then it'll only be the Vics who get their own team.

In a dream world one game a year could work, just need to find out which time of year to slip it in.

Something lik this would be great and it really wouldnt put too much extra stress on players workloads......

2022- WA v Vic @ Perth
2023- Vic v SA @ Melbourne
2024- SA v WA @ Adelaide
2025- Vic v WA @ Melbourne
2026- WA v SA @ Perth
2027- SA v Vic @ Adelaide

etc

The players banded together and stomped their feet to get FA over the line. They could do the same for SOO if they really wanted it. But they don't. And a lot of delusional dinosaurs on here can't deal with that, so they blame Gill.

A classic showpiece match played at night? Impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mate v mate syndrome that is a cornerstone of Leagues success (3 of the top 5 highest TV sports ratings year on year) was true of interstate Origin games.

No it wasn't.

Always bruise free, and the rivalry was very much one way. Only person in Victoria who gave a s**t was Skilton.

SA and WA between them can't generate 1/4 of the resentment Queenslanders have against NSW Rugby League. They're largely content to let of steam by whinging to each other.

Apart from the occasional fund raiser or commemorative date (ie- 175th year of Aus football etc.) we wont see rep football again and even then it'll only be the Vics who get their own team.

In a dream world one game a year could work, just need to find out which time of year to slip it in.

Something lik this would be great and it really wouldnt put too much extra stress on players workloads......

2022- WA v Vic @ Perth
2024- SA v WA @ Adelaide
2026- WA v SA @ Perth

etc

I'd love to see it, even if it was done once every 4 years like the FIFA World Cup or Olympics to add to the prestige/recherché.
You could even do two pools of three states each - randomly drawn - with the winner of each pool facing-off in the decider.

2022- WA v Vic @ Perth
2024- SA v WA @ Adelaide
2026- WA v SA @ Perth

etc

You want a version of the Yanks All Star game not Origin.
The idea an All Star game is going to bring out the best of Aussie Rules footy is naive - Origin was the best of the best in the time before the national comp.
The only way it comes back is if the players demand it.

No it wasn't.

Always bruise free, and the rivalry was very much one way. Only person in Victoria who gave a sh*t was Skilton.

SA and WA between them can't generate 1/4 of the resentment Queenslanders have against NSW Rugby League. They're largely content to let of steam by whinging to each other.

See Tony Hall, Barry Cable. You may be thinking of the mid 80s when Origin lost its relevance.

I don't see how naming a West Australian and a South Australian is a compelling argument against a one way rivalry which Victorian football had little interest in engaging.

Sorry I was thinking you knew the history of Origin, where it came from, why it is relevant, & why it dried on the vine into the 90s & died.

In 1977 Barry Cable played in the North premiership team & was a member of the first Origin based winning team. Famously knocked out by an errant elbow from Leigh Matthews.

Tony Hall is a SA player with pretty much every honour available to a footballer of his era, who did a knee representing SA whilst at Hawthorn.

The best v the best attracts players wanting to prove themselves at the highest level & died as the national comp found its feet. As we have increased the number of teams in the national comp ithe AFL is the highest level but not elite.

You want a version of the Yanks All Star game not Origin.
The idea an All Star game is going to bring out the best of Aussie Rules footy is naive - Origin was the best of the best in the time before the national comp.
The only way it comes back is if the players demand it.
No i really dont want an All Stars game at all, I was just pointing out that is the only realistic option the AFL will ever explore.
I WANT origin as listed by my draft yearly plan, but I'm resigned to the fact anything other than Vic v All Stars is merely a fantasy for us now.

No i really dont want an All Stars game at all, I was just pointing out that is the only realistic option the AFL will ever explore.
I WANT origin as listed by my draft yearly plan, but I'm resigned to the fact anything other than Vic v All Stars is merely a fantasy for us now.

Origin for the big V only is not worth watching, Origin WAS the game at the highest level, no duds, pride on the line & playing for the All Stars has no sense of pride.

Origin for the big V only is not worth watching, Origin WAS the game at the highest level, no duds, pride on the line & playing for the All Stars has no sense of pride.
yes I know mate, I agree with you.

I'm just stating that the AFL won't do anything else other than that, which I hate personally but am just saying as a statement.

Like if I was to say "Corona virus cases in Brazil are only going to increase" its just an objective statement about what I think will happen, its not what I want to happen.

State leagues have it, just needs to be promoted better.
AFL funding the state leagues would also help native retired players, but let's face it, the AFL is the game, and the rest is fodder to make the executives appear "in sync" with the paying public

yes I know mate, I agree with you.

I'm just stating that the AFL won't do anything else other than that, which I hate personally but am just saying as a statement.

Like if I was to say "Corona virus cases in Brazil are only going to increase" its just an objective statement about what I think will happen, its not what I want to happen.

Its the players only that can make it happen, the AFLPA.

State leagues have it, just needs to be promoted better.
AFL funding the state leagues would also help native retired players, but let's face it, the AFL is the game, and the rest is fodder to make the executives appear "in sync" with the paying public

Its League v League as it was 100 years ago, not Origin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back