Test Australian squad for The Subcontinent

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to be taking a left arm finger spinner on tour for the Indian leg. If we play well in the first test against them they’ll be preparing rank turners from then on and spinners will be opening the bowling from one end. Id be planning on using Maddinson as an all-round option batting at 7 and bowling alongside Lyon and Swepson instead of Maxwell as some have suggested. Harris will be going on tour too you can pretty much lock him in

I think we need to be taking a left arm finger spinner on tour for the Indian leg. If we play well in the first test against them they’ll be preparing rank turners from then on and spinners will be opening the bowling from one end. Id be planning on using Maddinson as an all-round option batting at 7 and bowling alongside Lyon and Swepson instead of Maxwell as some have suggested. Harris will be going on tour too you can pretty much lock him in
Interesting theory and something a bit left field however that would mean pushing Carey up to 6 (doesn't have the test batting prowess for 6 currently) and Green would miss out (presumably Head is at 5) which I'm not too sure about.

Having Green at 6 means we could play 3 spinners in India on rank turners with Agar, Swepson and Lyon all playing. Agar to play the Axar Patel role and dart them in to the right handers attacking the stumps. Means Green and Cummins would be the two frontline bowlers which would be a pretty potent attack and there's plenty of batting depth there still with Agar at 8. Green wouldn't have to bowl too much with the spinners doing the majority of the work also.

Interesting theory and something a bit left field however that would mean pushing Carey up to 6 (doesn't have the test batting prowess for 6 currently) and Green would miss out (presumably Head is at 5) which I'm not too sure about.

Having Green at 6 means we could play 3 spinners in India on rank turners with Agar, Swepson and Lyon all playing. Means Green and Cummins would be the two frontline bowlers which would be a pretty potent attack and there's plenty of batting depth there still with Agar at 8. Green wouldn't have to bowl too much with the spinners doing the majority of the work also.

There is no way on earth Agar is a test no7, and Carey isn’t a test 6. Carey has averaged barely 15-20 or whatever it is. We have Lab and Head. They can bowl spin. By all means play 2 spinners with Haze and Cummins as the two quicks. Green at 6 is the third seamer.

Having Green at 6 means we could play 3 spinners in India on rank turners with Agar, Swepson and Lyon all playing. Agar to play the Axar Patel role and dart them in to the right handers attacking the stumps. Means Green and Cummins would be the two frontline bowlers which would be a pretty potent attack and there's plenty of batting depth there still with Agar at 8. Green wouldn't have to bowl too much with the spinners doing the majority of the work also.
I would want Maddinson at 7, Carey at 8. Go in with Cummins and Green as the fast bowling brigade. If you watched any of the NZ or England tours of India recently, by the second tests they were preparing pitches which had balls exploding out of the turf by drinks on day 1.

I would want Maddinson at 7, Carey at 8. Go in with Cummins and Green as the fast bowling brigade. If you watched any of the NZ or England tours of India recently, by the second tests they were preparing pitches which had balls exploding out of the turf by drinks on day 1.

Maddinson and his “spin” is no better than Head. Why are we complicating this we have 6 bats and 1 is an AR. You have 4 bowlers either go 3 quicks and 1 spinner or 2 and 2.

Maddinson and his “spin” is no better than Head. Why are we complicating this we have 6 bats and 1 is an AR. You have 4 bowlers either go 3 quicks and 1 spinner or 2 and 2.
If it's a rank turner when the pitch is exploding day 1, why not have 3 spinners and 1 front line quick with the assistance of Green? Swepson, Lyon and Agar all offer something different and Green and Cummins are good enough to be our two quicks. Why waste our advantage of having Green.

If it's a rank turner when the pitch is exploding day 1, why not have 3 spinners and 1 front line quick with the assistance of Green? Swepson, Lyon and Agar all offer something different and Green and Cummins are good enough to be our two quicks. Why waste our advantage of having Green.

Then play 3 spinners with just Cummins as the stand alone quick. Green as the second quick.

What I don’t like is the idea of playing Agar at 7 or Maddinson as a so called spinner. Neither are good enough

He is better than Head because he is a left arm option which has been a very successful one to have at your disposal against India in recent series over there.

You don’t need 3+ quicks on Indian wickets.

I am curious that a number of posters are including Maxwell in their squads and XI's.

I thought his window of opportunity for Test cricket had long closed. It is all a bit sad as he arguably should have been given a go in Australia. I would not be surprised if he opts out of the Shield program. I expect Fink will not play Shield.

Henriques and M Marsh are two names also referenced.

Henriques was included in the squad for the doomed SA Tour and I guess he will also feature in selection discussions. He has also toured in the subi-con before and was not a disaster in India. He is my smoky to cover for Green.

Marsh averages 22 from 9 Tests and 18 knocks in Asia. Does a bit better in UAE and is just funny in India.
who is referencing Henriques? nobody!

He is better than Head because he is a left arm option which has been a very successful one to have at your disposal against India in recent series over there.

You don’t need 3+ quicks on Indian wickets.

If that’s your option Play Maxwell and I don’t like either option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is horses for courses so have to think well outside normal team set up of the 3 pace bowlers and class spinner.
In some places in India it might have to be something like Cummins and Green to open the bowling and the rest of it virtually spin.
That might be the extreme but do not count it out of possible at some point.
Last time we toured India I think we had O'Keefe to go with Lyon which worked well but O'Keefe no longer around so for mine Swepson is automatic.
Any spinners after that is very open at this point. If I was selectors I'd be encouraging Maxwell to make a special effort to work in spare time to hone his off spinners for India and play as a second allrounder with Green so we can sometimes play Lyon, Swepson and Maxwell in same side.
I cannot see too many times we need more than a second pace bowler in India. Cummins can have his choice of Boland, Hazelwood or Richardson but think there will be a Test or two with Green almost opens with him and then spinners after that.
I just think with horses for courses in mind, Maxwell should be in the squad at minimum.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschange
Smith
Head
Green
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Boland
Hazelwood
Richardson
Swepson
Lyon
Inglis

Another opener or spinner in squad but could be anyone at this point
Harris and Zampa probably get a spot if no one else pops up in coming months.
Moises Henriques outside chance as back up too.

Who would be your 3rd spinner instead? Kuhnemann has turned it on for QLD this season but only has 8 first class matches behind him.

I’d rather go him than a ODI spinner that doesn’t turn it. We’ve tried Agar it never works

Chris Rogers the Victorian coach has suggested open with Maxwell in India and play M.Marsh.I just wonder whether he reads your posts on BF and is trying to stir you up,lol.

Well seeing how well his “Harris has changed” went…let’s not trust Rogers

Well seeing how well his “Harris has changed” went…let’s not trust Rogers

I will debate that one though,Harris would have still played 5th test if Khawja had not of got his twin tons in the 4th test,lets not write off Harris yer.If we do get shield games before the selections for Pakistan guys like Harris have to perform.

I will debate that one though,Harris would have still played 5th test if Khawja had not of got his twin tons in the 4th test,lets not write off Harris yer.If we do get shield games before the selections for Pakistan guys like Harris have to perform.

No one doubts Harris is a Shield player he’s not test standard.

If he makes a ton in a upcoming shield game he has booked his tickets.I would be more worried about Warner.Maxwell as a opener in India I am getting more excited about that one every time some one talks about it,lol.PS Puckovic made 8 today ,run out.

I’d be picking Renshaw before I’d go near Harris again. You need to make BIG runs in the sub continent and Harris has no ability to do that at test level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back