FTA-TV Australian Survivor - Part 1 - Cont. in Pt. 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree with the general sentiment in here. The red tribe are doomed unless every challenge involves cricket skills. Jeff Fauxbst is doing pretty well, considering the circumstances. And other than a few subtle moments, the music just sounds like misplaced score from The Dark Knight movies.

His questions are way too good - he's manipulating things too much for my liking.

That said, how stupid are these contestants?

They're all secretive until they sit in front of tribal council, and then they're giving way too much away, simply because LPag is asking them.
That is part of his role is to probe and stir though, if the contestants are stupid enough to show their hand just cos they are being asked that is their own stupid fault

That is part of his role is to probe and stir though, if the contestants are stupid enough to show their hand just cos they are being asked that is their own stupid fault
You could see a couple of times the contestants, particularly Kylie, their minds ticking over and considering whether to honestly answer or not, then blurting out an honest answer that doesn't help them.

There are some pretty dumb players. More dumb ones than in the normal US seasons.

Probably makes good tv though.

His questions are way too good - he's manipulating things too much for my liking.

They're all secretive until they sit in front of tribal council, and then they're giving way too much away, simply because LPag is asking them.

Probst does the same, they just have different editors.

Proust has explained that those interviews go for much longer and we only see a tiny fraction. The extensive nature of the questioning doesn't have the same narrative, it's the editors that create it.

Edit: my bad, this has already been explained

Last edited:
Watching these first 2 episodes just makes me wonder how many of these people have actually watched a few seasons of Survivor to look at strategy and have actually put thought into what they are doing?

Stupid errors that people have made already include:
- Not pulling your weight around camp early on

- Assuming the role of leader and bossing people around

- Grabbing a stick in a fire and not thinking that it might be hot :huh:

- It seems that the majority of them have learnt to make fire entirely by only skimming through an episode of Survivor and nowhere else (going from coconut husks to large branches without small sticks as kindling, putting green grass on the fire as kindling etc).

- People giving honest answers that don't serve their game in Tribal (Des with his "I'd don't like you" instead of saying the smart thing and honing in on Kat's bossiness and being wrong, Kylie's transparent fake answer to the question on if people are pulling their weight etc)

- Bianca thinking of the end game and wanting to split up a strong twosome without seemingly having done the work in building her own alliances (and avoiding the obvious play of getting rid of someone who says he's not even sure if he should still be there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching these first 2 episodes just makes me wonder how many of these people have actually watched a few seasons of Survivor to look at strategy and have actually put thought into what they are doing?

Stupid errors that people have made already include:
- Not pulling your weight around camp early on

- Assuming the role of leader and bossing people around

- Grabbing a stick in a fire and not thinking that it might be hot :huh:

- It seems that the majority of them have learnt to make fire entirely by only skimming through an episode of Survivor and nowhere else (going from coconut husks to large branches without small sticks as kindling, putting green grass on the fire as kindling etc).

- People giving honest answers that don't serve their game in Tribal (Des with his "I'd don't like you" instead of saying the smart thing and honing in on Kat's bossiness and being wrong, Kylie's transparent fake answer to the question on if people are pulling their weight etc)

- Bianca thinking of the end game and wanting to split up a strong twosome without seemingly having done the work in building her own alliances (and avoiding the obvious play of getting rid of someone who says he's not even sure if he should still be there)

I've often seen on the US version that those who come in having boned up on the show and it's strategies never go very well anyway. It's one thing to know how to play, it's completely another to be good at it. Just look at AFL footballers.

I've often seen on the US version that those who come in having boned up on the show and it's strategies never go very well anyway. It's one thing to know how to play, it's completely another to be good at it. Just look at AFL footballers.
When it comes down to it, Survivor is a social game, types like Bianca who ignore that and just focus on the strategies are always going to fail

With so many people still in the game, your strategy early should just be make sure you're in a position to survive the next tribal and to be on good terms with everyone so you can work with them if you stay with them at a tribe swap.

I've never watched a full season of survivor but I decided to give this one a go from the start and I'm really enjoying it.

As others have said, it looks pretty faithful to the US version, and I don't find the host annoying at all (which can be a tough ask for Aussie reality TV)

The only downside I have so far, is there's not a lot of characters that really stand out to me, but I guess with so many contestants it's hard to establish everyone's personalities this early.

I'm loving the one-man red team at the moment, and hopefully we see more of Barry soon.

So far, so good :thumbsu:

Pretty much everything I wanted to say had already been said:

- Des was a prick and no doubt is one in every day life too.
- Conner is a moron. Come on man, it's a fire. Of course it's gonna be hot.
- Bianca made the rookie error of going easy too hard too early. I wonder how many investigations she's bungled the same way?
- When is Kristie gonna do that weird lick of her lips and out herself as a McPoyle?
- I can understand players struggling with the conditions, but wanting to leave after a handful of days? Whoever was responsible for casting Peter should be looking for another job!
- LaPaglia isn't nailing all the Jeffisms and hopefully will start carving out his own little niche. He was good at tribal council though, particularly the second one.

A couple of other stray observations:

- Wasn't the challenge that they had to carry their player through the course? I thought it was a bit silly that Lee was allowed to just run and jump his way through parts of it compared to the other teams struggling to hold them throughout.
- No one else is outraged that they chose to vote or Bianca over Peter? He'll retire soon enough and then they'll be another player down. So stupid!
- I'm still a little concerned that it's not going to work as well, simply because of the Australian psyche. There's already been too much honesty, both in taking responsibility for challenges and at tribal. Apart from the horrible production values, that's what really stunk up the Channel Nine version.

- I'm still a little concerned that it's not going to work as well, simply because of the Australian psyche. There's already been too much honesty, both in taking responsibility for challenges and at tribal. Apart from the horrible production values, that's what really stunk up the Channel Nine version.

Agree with that, no way would I by putting my hand up and apologising for failing at a challenge. Gives others a reason to vote you out. Deflect Deflect Deflect, especially at this stage when they're all still chummy and getting on, no one is pointing any fingers unless you point it at yourself first.

Agree with that, no way would I by putting my hand up and apologising for failing at a challenge. Gives others a reason to vote you out. Deflect Deflect Deflect, especially at this stage when they're all still chummy and getting on, no one is pointing any fingers unless you point it at yourself first.
God I wouldn't tell the truth ever if I was on the show

Lie lie lie lie lie

:D

Would no doubt get me booted

A couple of other stray observations:

- Wasn't the challenge that they had to carry their player through the course? I thought it was a bit silly that Lee was allowed to just run and jump his way through parts of it compared to the other teams struggling to hold them throughout.
- No one else is outraged that they chose to vote or Bianca over Peter? He'll retire soon enough and then they'll be another player down. So stupid!
- Yeah Lee got away with a bit there. I think they were so far behind they just let it go.

- Not outraged but I think most of us here have questioned the stupidity of it. It was dumb play and made them weaker. They should have just potted Peter and got Bianca next time.

- Yeah that's the potential issue here but hopefully that will crack as we go on and more pressure builds. There's a few snakes in the grass among them I think (and hope)

I think it was explained that way as the "lambs" had their wrists and ankles bound so they wouldn't be able to walk and there were obstacles that you had to be carried through. The other teams had the "lambs" do some of the work to get through the course, even if it was just sliding under that log that was ~30cm off the ground

God I wouldn't tell the truth ever if I was on the show

Lie lie lie lie lie

:D

Would no doubt get me booted

I am a terrible liar. I dont even lie on BF. My game would be social, get along with ppl, do some work around camp and try to avoid having to out right lie in the first place.

I'd play some practical jokes on ppl too. I can lie when it comes to that kinda stuff. :D

My biggest pet peeve with the American one. Spend all arvo formulating a wicked blindside, then when Probst asks "What are you basing your vote on?" at Tribal, they let the cat out the bag. It can't be that hard to just sit there and toe the company line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back