Australian Tour of South Africa 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey there.

This looks to be a cracking series and one I kind of look forward to almost as much as the ashes.

Yarpies pace attack looks strong and getting stronger with this Ngidi kid.

As an aside. Has anyone ever gone to SA to watch cricket?

I'm in Perth so it's a shortish trip and it's something I've always wanted to do.

Anyone done it? Any recommendations on which test I should go see?

One regret from my single 20's days was not going to South Africa for a test series.

This one should be very interesting. I can't see the remarkable pattern of away series victories (or draws) continuing, but I think people have been saying that for the last few series.

Our batsmen are going to be under some serious pressure.

Glad it is four tests.
Given the lack of shield cricket do we still bring Handscomb over?
Bancroft surely won't play.

I'm glad it's four tests too. We'll never see a 5 test series between these two so four is probably the best we'll get. The two test series over there in 2011 that finished 1-1 was a bit of a let down really. All test series should be a minimum of three tests. Two test series are a waste of time.

Bancroft is a concern for me too. He batted well in the 2nd innings at the Gabba but wasn't great in the series on the whole. Sure it was his first test series but i feel any shortcomings he has will be exposed the top class bowling attack the South Africans have.

Hey there.

This looks to be a cracking series and one I kind of look forward to almost as much as the ashes.

Yarpies pace attack looks strong and getting stronger with this Ngidi kid.

As an aside. Has anyone ever gone to SA to watch cricket?

I'm in Perth so it's a shortish trip and it's something I've always wanted to do.

Anyone done it? Any recommendations on which test I should go see?
I was there in 2009 & went to tests in Durban & Cape Town. Going again for this tour to the first two tests in Durban & Port Elizabeth. Watching cricket there is great! Full strength beer ( if that's your thing), can walk onto the ground & have a look at the pitch during the lunch break, lovely food & plenty of grassy banks. Newlands in Cape Town has obviously got the amazing setting, but the 3 other grounds would be good to go to as well. It's also generally a fairly cheap country to travel around from memory. I loved the last cricket trip there & can't wait for this one.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

My aunt lives in Rondebosch, it makes Capetown a cheap trip.
So Goughy.

Question for you.
You're a cricket tragic looking for a great SA venue to watch a game. Maybe be not all 5 days, prob 3 at most.
You're in SA for a week or so.
Which ground do you go to.

Hint: I probably won't be doing a lot of cultural sight seeing. More just nice bars and restaurants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there in 2009 & went to tests in Durban & Cape Town. Going again for this tour to the first two tests in Durban & Port Elizabeth. Watching cricket there is great! Full strength beer ( if that's your thing), can walk onto the ground & have a look at the pitch during the lunch break, lovely food & plenty of grassy banks. Newlands in Cape Town has obviously got the amazing setting, but the 3 other grounds would be good to go to as well. It's also generally a fairly cheap country to travel around from memory. I loved the last cricket trip there & can't wait for this one.

Tour or self organised?

So Goughy.

Question for you.
You're a cricket tragic looking for a great SA venue to watch a game. Maybe be not all 5 days, prob 3 at most.
You're in SA for a week or so.
Which ground do you go to.

Hint: I probably won't be doing a lot of cultural sight seeing. More just nice bars and restaurants.
Capetown or Durbs, stay away from the highveld.

That 2009 aus vs sa series was pretty special, I'll never forget the Durban test because of Phil Hughes making a 100 in both innings.

Must have been amazing to have been there.

Last edited:
Only a few days ago I gave the wife the directive to put Caribbean and South Africa on the to-do list, travel wise. I’d give my left nut to watch a game in Cape Town.

We are aiming at about 2021.
Capetown or Durbs, stay away from the highveld.

Might be some issues with Cape Town this year. About to run out of water very soon.

Is that with table mountain as the back drop?
Never seem to get many watching cricket over there, so tickets should be easy to get.

Two years ago they sold every ticket available for the first four days. They also had a big crowd on the Saturday and Sunday at the test most recently. Where they struggle is on weekdays, particularly against non-drawing sides. Cricket doesn’t have the same ‘let’s organise 6 months in advance to take a couple of days off work and go and watch the cricket at capetown’ supporter base there that it does here.

Attachments

• 8697C7E6-409B-4982-91BE-ED0A6EA3A215.jpeg
    8697C7E6-409B-4982-91BE-ED0A6EA3A215.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 7
Tour or self organised?
Just organised by myself. The first time I did a cricket trip I went with a tour. However, the ones since then I've done solo. It's a hell of a lot cheaper & you still meet plenty of other supporters while your there. I just booked match tickets for this trip online with a local ticket website. If cost isn't a concern though, a tour is obviously nice & comfortable, especially if you haven't been on one before.

Last edited:
That 2009 aus vs sa series was pretty special, I'll never forget the Durban test because of Phil Hughes making a 100 in both innings.

Must have been amazing to have been there.
Yeah, I was very lucky to be there, that's for sure. We sealed the series in that test which made it even sweeter. It also got witness Andrew McDonald play test cricket as well :)

Two years ago they sold every ticket available for the first four days. They also had a big crowd on the Saturday and Sunday at the test most recently. Where they struggle is on weekdays, particularly against non-drawing sides. Cricket doesn’t have the same ‘let’s organise 6 months in advance to take a couple of days off work and go and watch the cricket at capetown’ supporter base there that it does here.
Fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back