Australian Tour of South Africa 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad it's four tests too. We'll never see a 5 test series between these two so four is probably the best we'll get.
4 Tests is indeed a nice suprise when heard it.
3 v South Africa has always felt over too quick.
Would love 3 Tests in one nation followed by 3 in the other and call it a 6 Test series.
Sadly modern schedules do not allow such things.

Still, 4 Tests is series cannot wait to start. More excited for this than I was for Ashes series as rate South Africa a better cricketing nation to play against. They will be super tough to beat over there. Mot likely 2-1 their way. Our batting for mine is probably not strong enough.

With Bancroft not going well replacing an out of form Renshaw hopefully young Renshaw scores some runs in the Shield match before tour group decided. Burns sounds like he is no hope injured.

4 Tests is indeed a nice suprise when heard it.
3 v South Africa has always felt over too quick.
Would love 3 Tests in one nation followed by 3 in the other and call it a 6 Test series.
Sadly modern schedules do not allow such things.

Still, 4 Tests is series cannot wait to start. More excited for this than I was for Ashes series as rate South Africa a better cricketing nation to play against. They will be super tough to beat over there. Mot likely 2-1 their way. Our batting for mine is probably not strong enough.

With Bancroft not going well replacing an out of form Renshaw hopefully young Renshaw scores some runs in the Shield match before tour group decided. Burns sounds like he is no hope injured.
They did home and away in 1994, I saw the Capetown Test that year. That was in the lead up to the first democratic election and the place was crazy.

Agreed, reckon he will struggle against the SA fast bowlers. Not sure who there is to replace him with though?

That is my biggest concern..

Do they give him another opportunity against the best bowling attack in the world?
Do they go back to the future and give Renshaw an opportunity despite no long form cricket?
Do they go a stop gap and promote a guy like Klinger on the back of BBL form? (99% chance this wont happen but you never. ever. know)
Do they promote another opener?
Do they re shuffle the batting order and move a S.Marsh up to the top?

So many questions over one player.

That is my biggest concern..

Do they give him another opportunity against the best bowling attack in the world?
Do they go back to the future and give Renshaw an opportunity despite no long form cricket?
Do they go a stop gap and promote a guy like Klinger on the back of BBL form? (99% chance this wont happen but you never. ever. know)
Do they promote another opener?
Do they re shuffle the batting order and move a S.Marsh up to the top?

So many questions over one player.

I appreciate you're throwing it out there so to speak but i think Klinger would prefer to be in Australia than be overseas bearing in mind what his wife is going through at the moment.

Bancroft will play the first test i think. That won't be down to his performances but more due to the fact that nobody is banging the door down demanding selection. Provided Bancroft plays, twin failures in the first test will give the Australian selectors not a selection headache more like a selection migraine.

They did home and away in 1994, I saw the Capetown Test that year. That was in the lead up to the first democratic election and the place was crazy.

When was the one day series where Kuiper went crazy ?
For some reason remember the atmosphere being electric back then.
Have a memory of Border hitting over 20 off last over somewhere over there. It might have been same tour?

Graham Pollock for mine looks every bit as awesome as Gary Sobers from those times and little footage there is of them.

I missed by 1 day Pollock's 136 at Adelaide for the World XI in 1971-72. Listened to his 175 in 1963-64 and his double centuries in 1966-67 and 1969-70 on the radio. Listening to Ian Chappell's assessment of him, I really missed out!!! I did see Pollock in David Hookes' testimonial game at Adelaide Oval. He must have been late 40s/early 50s, but you could see the class of the man, he must have been something.

As for Sobers, he could hit the ball harder than anyone playing today, and he was batting with a piece of wood just over 2lbs. One can only imagine how far he would have hit the ball with one of today's bats. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pollock played some other testimonial game out here in the 90s. Was on tv and he must have been in his 50s. The Zoe Goss game perhaps? Mind might be blending events a bit.

Anyway, I could not believe how hard he hit the ball.

Apparently Pollock was a bit Doug Walters like in his attitude to training. Loved a beer as well. Makes you wonder if the contemporary player practices too much :)

Apparently Pollock was a bit Doug Walters like in his attitude to training. Loved a beer as well. Makes you wonder if the contemporary player practices too much :)
Certainly the cookie cutter approach to team training could be debated. Some players probably excel by hitting a million balls, others would be better off relaxing.

I remember hearing that Curtly Ambrose would bowl a couple of overs off a short run most trainings then spend the rest of the time under a tree with his head phones on, playing air guitar

Certainly the cookie cutter approach to team training could be debated. Some players probably excel by hitting a million balls, others would be better off relaxing.

I remember hearing that Curtly Ambrose would bowl a couple of overs off a short run most trainings then spend the rest of the time under a tree with his head phones on, playing air guitar
That's how I used to train. Never made it past Grade cricket though but I'm probably the best air guitarist you will ever see.

Pollock played some other testimonial game out here in the 90s. Was on tv and he must have been in his 50s. The Zoe Goss game perhaps? Mind might be blending events a bit.

Anyway, I could not believe how hard he hit the ball.

I mentioned this in a separate thread recently - you’re right, it was the Bradman tribute match where Zoe Goss bowled Lara - and Pollock hit 94 or something and just batted beautifully

Surely Moises goes, tks to Mr Waugh he has gone on all the recent tours
Plays the first few games , fails and then gets dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back