Australian Tour of South Africa 2020 (3 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

As frustrating a choke as that was, and it certainly was a choke of the highest order, I think it will benefit us in the long run.
We all knew our middle order sans Maxwell was a problem and last night they were pretty brutally exposed. This will either galvanize them or it will force us to make some changes. Either way i think this will help us moving forward.

Very much looking forward to the next game.

Our bowling also wasn't particularly impressive last night. We really live or die by Starc being on or off.

He wasn't the Lone Ranger.

We have a fragile middle order.
Especially when chasing.
That middle order wouldn't have been exposed if he hadn't done that.

He's either scared or just arrogant.

Video at the start of this article highlights some speccie fielding by both sides:
Smith converting a 6 into a single was wild.
Thecock's comment is worth remembering for that ground:
"We understand that this wicket, especially late afternoon, for the team batting second it's always going to be difficult."

You'd be happy everyday of the week losing the toss and restricting a side to 158.

After our top 3, we have no one reliable.
They're ok when we're batting first with no scoreboard pressure.

I wouldn't bet my house on Marsh, Wade, Agar or Carey TBH.

Still thought it was was a strange move batting Carey at 4 as well.

In normal circumstances I agree, but it was two bowlers that restricted them to 158. I'm so not convinced Cummins is a t20 bowler, and no he wasn't the worst last night.

Carey at 4 was so dumb, not as if a right hander was in either as I can see the reasoning there.

We also have Abbott and Jhye in the sheds but I highly doubt they replace Cummins or even Richo for the last game considering he was decent tonight.

Wouldn't be against Abbott playing actually and I never thought I'd say that.

Huh?

Carey is a middle order batsman.
Cannot just rely on the top 3 every game.
He was listed at 6 , batted 4

His entire summer has followed this pattern , get yourself in - get yourself out.

You can't afford to step to leg EVERY ball you face , it's why he's not in the test team at the moment.

He was listed at 6 , batted 4

His entire summer has followed this pattern , get yourself in - get yourself out.

You can't afford to step to leg EVERY ball you face , it's why he's not in the test team at the moment.
I'm not saying he wasn't poor, but's it's harsh to put all of the blame on him.

He's not in the test team because we have a keeper whose our captain.

Yeah strange game....the pitch got harder to bat on as the game progressed

I understand having flexibility with the squad but lets just leave it for a while and see how it goes

We had a good win first game...so why change the order??....I understand they where worried about the spinner and brought Carey up as they regard carey as good against spin...but back your other two batters wade and marsh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah strange game....the pitch got harder to bat on as the game progressed

I understand having flexibility with the squad but lets just leave it for a while and see how it goes

We had a good win first game...so why change the order??....I understand they where worried about the spinner and brought Carey up as they regard carey as good against spin...but back your other two batters wade and marsh

Wasn’t Marsh played in the sub continent as he’s good against spin too? Let’s not forget when Carey came in Shamsi had a grand total of 7 balls left...

I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Back the current team in.

Looking at the England results in their T20 series there last month, it was a very hard fought and dangerously close series win for them.

South Africa are in free fall in Tests and ODI's, but they aren't terrible in T20's.

I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Back the current team in.

Looking at the England results in their T20 series there last month, it was a very hard fought and dangerously close series win for them.

South Africa are in free fall in Tests and ODI's, but they aren't terrible in T20's.
Even then, saving their four-yearly World Cup disaster their odi side has been fine

They’re 17-6 outside of the World Cup in the last 2 years. Their test side looks abysmal but both short formats are still fairly strong

Even then, saving their four-yearly World Cup disaster their odi side has been fine

They’re 17-6 outside of the World Cup in the last 2 years. Their test side looks abysmal but both short formats are still fairly strong
You are indeed correct. Victory on this LOI tour is far from guaranteed.... Shame we aren't playing a few Tests...

Wasn’t Marsh played in the sub continent as he’s good against spin too? Let’s not forget when Carey came in Shamsi had a grand total of 7 balls left...

Yeah marsh can play spin he does take his time against the spinners though maybe that's why they wanted carey up

I just think that with a new middle order you need to give them time....chopping and changing every game is not going to give you any continuity and its going to put a lot of pressure on wade marsh and carey ..or any player in the middle order

I see a bit of baseball infiltrating t20 if it hasn't already....reckon teams are trying to save there hitters for certain bowlers and fielding teams the same bowlers to certain batters

it can bite you on the arse though as we saw last night

You are indeed correct. Victory on this LOI tour is far from guaranteed.... Shame we aren't playing a few Tests...

I think at the moment the only thing that would give SA any hope of beating Aus in tests is the relative dominance they’ve had over them in recent years. Psychology can give a big boost in cricket but I’m not even sure that would help them at the moment.

Chokey McChokeface last night.

Warner
Finch
Smith
Carey
Marsh
Wade
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Richardson

That's an odd XI, even if we weren't named like that. Wade normally opens for the Hurricanes and we have him in at 6. Marsh for some reason we picked as a 6th bowler and 4th seam option then bat above Wade. And we still don't really know what to do with Carey. Since the start of 2016 we've tried Bancroft, Khawaja, Klinger (retired), Turner, Short, McDermott and Handscomb. We're missing a Maxwell, in form Turner, in form Marsh lower in the order who can come in and score quickly later in the innings. Right now it looks like the top 3 make runs or no one does. Did better in the first T20 from Smith and Finch's platform but no one went on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back