Australian Tour of South Africa 2020 (3 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Squads for the matches have just been announced:

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Matches are:

First T20: February 21 at Johannesburg. 3am AEDT (Feb 22)

Second T20: February 23 at Port Elizabeth 11.30pm AEDT

Third T20: February 26 at Cape Town. 3am AEDT (Feb 27)

First ODI: February 29 at Paarl (D/N). 10pm AEDT

Second ODI: March 4 at Bloemfontein (D/N). 10pm AEDT

Third ODI: March 7 at Potchefstroom. 7pm AEDT

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
I have no qualms with the squad. The main issue from that Indian series was middle order firepower and I think Maxwell and Marsh bring that to the table.

Stoinis probably unlucky not to make it as the backup opener behind Warner and Finch but Wades recent form has been equally impressive and you can understand the decision.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Good to see Maxwell back and lets hope he gets some runs in the shield if he is able to play any games before he goes to South Africa.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
so basically short, handscomb and turner dropped from the last series and in comes maxwell, mitch marsh and wade.

squad looks stronger.

the t20 squad is similar with abbott and jhye in , rather than hazlewood and marnus.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Squads are pretty good overall. Can't have Abbott and couldn't have Agar on form but hey what are you going to do, pick Jono Cook or something.

I know he didn't exactly fire over summer but you'd be pretty dirty if you were McDermott. CA make him keep and bat down the order because that is what they want the keeper options to do for the national teams, this affects his ability to make runs, then when he doesn't score as many runs as usual they just pick Wade as the back up keeper despite him opening and not keeping.

Stoinis lack of bowling is the reason M.Marsh is preferred.

Yeah you are probably right. When I saw the squad I was ready to praise the selectors for recognising that he is a top order bat only and leaving him out.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
On reflection the T20 side looks a proper middle order bat short. Could almost pick Wade at 3 and have Smith at 4 from that squad. Then Carey/Maxwell/Marsh. You'd expect they will pick Carey/Maxwell/Marsh/Agar and wonder why we collapse if Warner/Finch/Smith don't score runs though.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
On reflection the T20 side looks a proper middle order bat short. Could almost pick Wade at 3 and have Smith at 4 from that squad. Then Carey/Maxwell/Marsh. You'd expect they will pick Carey/Maxwell/Marsh/Agar and wonder why we collapse if Warner/Finch/Smith don't score runs though.

Still think Maxwell should bat 3 in both T20 and 1 day cricket.Will go a run a ball even if he bats sensible and go for it in the last few overs if still there.So much pressure on him as seen in the world cup where he comes in with 10 overs to go (1 dayers) and expected to hit out or get out.Lets not forget his bowling and fielding probably one of the best players in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
not sure why the media is having a collective confusion about Stoinis. He was never going to be picked. We have openers ahead of him, and M Marsh is ahead of him as an all-rounder.

Stoinis can easily play in the middle order in international cricket, and has bowled much better than Marsh over the last couple of years, too.

One guy in the form of his career over the past 1-2 domestic seasons, versus a bloke who flits between being injured and indifferent form.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Still think Maxwell should bat 3 in both T20 and 1 day cricket.Will go a run a ball even if he bats sensible and go for it in the last few overs if still there.So much pressure on him as seen in the world cup where he comes in with 10 overs to go (1 dayers) and expected to hit out or get out.Lets not forget his bowling and fielding probably one of the best players in the world.

Yeah I've never understood why we don't try to maximise Maxy's time at the crease and opportunity to score runs, particularly in T20Is.

Maxwell's overall T20I record

54 innings
35.02 average
160.00 strike rate
18.24 balls per innings
29.19 runs per innings
4.60 balls per boundary
7 fifties
3 hundreds
1 duck

When batting top 3

14 innings
36.55 average
176.32 strike rate
16.29 balls per innings
28.71 runs per innings
3.74 balls per boundary
2 fifties
1 hundred
0 ducks

Just seems a waste to "save him" for #5 or #6 (17 of his 54 T20I innings have seen him bat outside the top 4, for example).

Finch/Warner/Maxwell up front should be enough firepower to kill most teams both limited overs formats. You can say "what if it doesn't come off?!", well, that's cricket. It's not going to come off every time. But when it does, we'll probably win.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The last person I'd wanting coming in at 3 if we lose an early wicket in the ODI'S would be Maxwell TBH.

The last person I'd wanting coming in at 3 if we lose an early wicket in the ODI'S would be Maxwell TBH.

Think this is exactly why. He has shot himself in the foot with too many dumb decisions that they are too scared they will be 2 for * all. Not sure it's as fair as it once was.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still think Maxwell should bat 3 in both T20 and 1 day cricket.

No no no no no. Can't imagine anything worse than Maxwell having to rebuild and innings after an early wicket. 4 in T20's and float him to 3 if there isn't a wicket in the first 10. Float him up the order in ODI's after the 30th over or so.

He had plenty of chances during the world cup coming in earlyish during the WC and still never managed to bat long enough. Good for a 10-15 over burst and that's it imo.

Match 1 - 4n/o
Match 2 - 0. Out in the 8th over
Match 3 - 28 off 14. Came in in the final 15
Match 4 - 22 off 10. Out with 17 overs remaining
Match 5 - 46no off 25. Came in in the final 10.
Match 6 - 12 off 8. Came in in the final 15
Match 7 - 1 off 5. Out in the 22 over.
Match 8 - 32 off 10. Came in in the final 10
Match 9 - 12 off 20. Out in the 25th over.
Match 10 - 22 off 23. Out in the 35th

He more or less plays the same innings regardless of where he comes in, but those innings have a far greater impact when he pulls them off in the last 15 or so overs once other players have built a platform.

Last edited:
Don't think Stoinis averaging 23 at a strike rate of 80 his last 22 ODI innings is helping him either...

That and I think they have finally realised the bloke is a top order bat. It's probably a combination of all of them. Plus Mitch Marsh is better anyway look at his ODI record. Marsh should be nowhere near a test side but he's a gun in limited overs cricket

No no no no no. Can't imagine anything worse than Maxwell having to rebuild and innings after an early wicket

This is true. I'm over expecting Maxwell to be anything more than a last 20% of an innings bat. If he comes off he lifts a 300 score to 360, if not, not harm done.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

He is incapable of batting 3 in 50 over cricket because he can’t put his head down for 20 overs. Even in 20/20 I wouldn’t want him batting in the first 10 overs.
he has failed time after time at the highest level and I actually feel for him sometimes as people are expecting him to deliver something his ability can’t deliver.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Stoinis can easily play in the middle order in international cricket, and has bowled much better than Marsh over the last couple of years, too.

One guy in the form of his career over the past 1-2 domestic seasons, versus a bloke who flits between being injured and indifferent form.
Stoinis has bowled 1 over in the big bash and made no runs batting in the middle order in the world cup. So why would you pick him as a all-rounder?

Moves to the top of the order in the big bash and makes plenty of runs but would you choose him as a opener in front of Finch and Warner?

No he can't, and as shown in the World Cup he was horrid in the middle order. Starts far too slow. Marsh has faults but he's a better finisher than Stoinis is. Stoinis bats top 3 or doesn't play it's pretty simple...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back