Australian Touring Squad for India

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Probably an interesting exercise to start considering now. How much should runs scored on Australian wickets against South Africa and Pakistan (both teams with good attacks including a world class spinner in Pakistan's case) be considered?

Time for a horse for courses policy?

Burns might not even play against the Saffers but even if he does do we still play him against India?

Khawaja?

If O'Keefe isn't fit do we just play a third quick instead or even have Mitch Marsh as the third quick? Seems pointless playing a not up to it spinner who doesn't get wickets in Asia (Cullen/White/Doherty etc) just because.

Might be worth backing Starc and Hazlewood

Bancroft and Handscomb did score centuries for Australia A but the test wickets we're getting will probably be a different beast.

But one can argue that both are seriously close to earning selection based on shield form anyway.

I'd be very surprised to see either Burns or Khawaja gone as a result of this series. No-one has performed even half-decently with the bat and they had very good records before this series.

It would take them failing most of the summer in Aus for them not to be on the tour of India, depressing though that thought is. Very depressing.

And another thing against dropping them and this is my personal feeling... if you keep dropping people after one tour of the SC where they fail, no-one will ever learn to be any good over there.

Last edited:
Have absolutely no faith in the following in India.

- Burns
- Khawaja
- Marsh
- Nevill

Have a small amount of faith in the following in India

- Marsh. S
- Voges
- Warner

Have some faith in the following in India.

- Smith.

* the bowlers, it matters little who we pick in that regard if we get skittled for * all. Which we will with this lot. With ethdog. I give up if Handscomb isn't in the touring party.

I'd be very surprised to see either Burns or Khawaja gone as a result of this series. No-one has performed even half-decently with the bat and they had very good records before this series.

It would take them failing most of the summer in Aus for them not to be on the tour of India, depressing though that thought is. Very depressing.

And another thing against dropping them and this is my personal feeling... if you keep dropping people after one tour of the SC where they fail, no-one will ever learn to be any good over there.
Burns has been shaky for a while; real feast or famine player. Should be forced to play off against Bancroft and SMarsh in the opening Shield games for his spot. Khawaja probably has an extra life or two.

Australia's Tests will be in Feb/March in Bengaluru, Dharamsala, Ranchi and Pune.

I intend to plan an Indian vacation around the timing of the first couple Tests.

Last edited:
Burns has been shaky for a while; real feast or famine player. Should be forced to play off against Bancroft and SMarsh in the opening Shield games for his spot. Khawaja probably has an extra life or two.

He got the gig after Bancroft failed at the beginning of last Shield season. If the Bangladesh series had gone ahead, I would have expected Bancroft to be given a decent run in the Aus team. Burns has already won that battle, I'm sure they'll stick with him for the Aus summer.

Assuming all fit, there's only about 4-5 I'd say are truly safe: Warner, Smith, Starc, and probably Lyon and Hazelwood.

Burns needs a good home summer, but I think the selectors want a stable opening partnership with Warner.
Khawaja always seems to be the whipping boy, so if they want a Bancroft or even Shaun Marsh in there, he might get the boot.
Voges I expect will retire after the home series, so if Handscomb has remotely decent Shield form he should slot in at 5.

The issue of Nevill needing to turn his "hard fought 20s" into a couple of big scores remains. Whiteman may overtake him if he has a solid Shield season with the bat.

The 3rd paceman for the home series will probably come down to whoever is fit, on the current squad probably will start off with Coulter-Nile vs Bird. I'd go NCN in subcontinental conditions.
Pattinson and his extra pure pace would be a god-send if he got fit and firing again. Some may say Cummins, but surely they won't pick him on the back of hit-and-giggle form again?

Swepson is one I will keep an eye on for second spinner. Wrist spinner, turns it the other way from Lyon, seems to be full of form and confidence.

He got the gig after Bancroft failed at the beginning of last Shield season. If the Bangladesh series had gone ahead, I would have expected Bancroft to be given a decent run in the Aus team. Burns has already won that battle, I'm sure they'll stick with him for the Aus summer.
Burns has been truly abysmal in Sri Lanka, bad enough that last year's battle probably means nothing.

Right now I'm thinking:

Batsmen: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Peter Handscomb, Joe Burns
All-Rounders: Mitch Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Agar
Wicket Keepers: Sam Whiteman, Peter Nevill
Bowlers: Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Steve O'Keefe, Mitchell Swepson

XI:

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Agar
Nevill (+)
Starc
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Lyon

I feel like we'll be better placed if we play Agar with Starc, Patto and Haze as the quickies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't we just forfeit? Come up with some excuse based on security grounds, that can be claimed to be over by April so the players can get their IPL money.

I really don't see anyone much better than we have in Sri Lanka. Selection can't fix everything.

Should be 8 bats 1 all rounder 1 wicket keeper 6 bowlers. Last time they took 3 all rounders and that went so well didn't it
Yes, because they're going to play them all at once.

Because I think there needs to be at least one spin bowling AR, one fast bowling AR and a third one in case one breaks down and conditions suit another spin bowler/quickie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back