Australian Touring Squad for India

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Keefe has a good shield record this year and obviously over the last decade and was already ahead of Holland.

Agar and Swepson were poor selections but that doesn't mean Holland should have gone over
How was Swepson a poor selection?

Best leg spinner easy bar possibly Ahmed who is 35. Holland is too similar to OKeefe anyway

How was Swepson a poor selection?

Best leg spinner easy bar possibly Ahmed who is 35. Holland is too similar to OKeefe anyway

He might be the best leg spinner we have but 1. He's not ready to play test cricket and 2. He's not even in the squad to play test cricket.

In my opinion he would have been much better served actually playing the next 5 shield games then twidling his thumbs on the bench.

IMO the real reason so many people are unhappy about this is because it confirms a bunch of problems people already have with the selection panel

Not a huge sample size tho

O'Keefe's record at test level is 14 wickets in 4 matches at an average of 32. Not great but its decent enough especially when you consider that he broke down mid game in one of those tests and another was pretty much washed out.

Add his strong career record at FC level and the fact that he's a fairly reliable lower order bat and him getting selected isn't a surprise to anyone.

Fun fact, in 2012/13, before Ashwin became the elite player he is now, Jadeja had 27 wickets in India at an average of 19. What's that you say? They're basically the same? What in the world? I thought Jadeja only took wickets in India because of Ashwin!

In those same 5 matches Ashwin took 32 wickeets at 23 though. Was still second fiddle.

I don't think too many people would be up in arms about Holland's non-selection if it wasn't public knowledge that CA have been dicks about it.
Can't believe I'm about to defend the selectors here....

What kind of self-important princess must Jon Holland be if he thinks he deserves a phone call? Why should they? How many blokes are they supposed to call? Do they call every first class cricketers who doesn't get picked?

I can understand them calling Hilton Cartwright to tell him he wasn't going on tour because he was only in the side last week, but other than that, what is there to talk about?

"Hi Jon, it's Trevor Hohns here. Yeah, seventh call in the last two months to say you're not in the side. Why? Because we picked the others guys instead. Talk soon!"

If my employer demoted me without a heads up I'd be livid

Even though the bloke you'd been filling in for was back from sick leave?

This is blown up out of nothing. I agree with the above posters. Are they meant to call everyone who's played for Aus in the past three years and apologise for not picking them on the tour? That's a s**t pile of phone calls.

Can't believe I'm about to defend the selectors here....

What kind of self-important princess must Jon Holland be if he thinks he deserves a phone call? Why should they? How many blokes are they supposed to call? Do they call every first class cricketers who doesn't get picked?

“I haven’t spoken to a selector since the last Test in Sri Lanka,” Holland said.

I reckon he's got a case to have a bit of a whinge at this juncture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only imagine the sort of communication they give someone like Mitch Marsh. 'You're young and an all rounder, you're in' 'Yeah you're out because Watson' 'Watson sucks, you're back in' 'You're bowling well, you're doing great' 'Yeah your batting isn't up to scratch, you're out' 'Yeah you've done nothing since we dropped you so you're back in'.

:clapping:

I think if we're just considering "best spinners available", given his Shield form (both this season and in parts of the last two seasons), along with the fact that he was considered "next in line" as recently as the Sri Lanka tour, Holland has the right to be a bit puzzled at his non-selection.

Don't know that he necessarily required a personal phone call to inform him that he wouldn't be touring, but to get no feedback or communication or indication whether you're still in the frame since getting dropped is poor from CA, to say the least.

I think if we're just considering "best spinners available", given his Shield form (both this season and in parts of the last two seasons), along with the fact that he was considered "next in line" as recently as the Sri Lanka tour, Holland has the right to be a bit puzzled at his non-selection.

Don't know that he necessarily required a personal phone call to inform him that he wouldn't be touring, but to get no feedback or communication or indication whether you're still in the frame since getting dropped is poor from CA, to say the least.
Is there any reason to think his coaches at state level aren't getting that info and passing it on/working on it with him?

All we know is he hasn't had a personal conversation with a selector.

“I haven’t spoken to a selector since the last Test in Sri Lanka,” Holland said.

I reckon he's got a case to have a bit of a whinge at this juncture.
Seriously, why should they call him? What are they supposed to say? The selectors have had bigger things to worry about since Sri Lanka than Jon Holland.

Seriously, why should they call him? What are they supposed to say? The selectors have had bigger things to worry about since Sri Lanka than Jon Holland.

It's called feedback mate. Let the bloke know what he needs to be doing in their eyes in order to be considered. It's also about accountability for their decisions. Pretty basic principles of leadership

Would there be as big a whinge on here if it was SOK left out? Doubt it. Holland was nothing special in his test matches, was solid at best (on a good day). SOK can do that, and he can bat/feld much better.

Would there be as big a whinge on here if it was SOK left out? Doubt it. Holland was nothing special in his test matches, was solid at best (on a good day). SOK can do that, and he can bat/feld much better.

If SOK was left out and he came out and said that he had not been spoken to regarding it then I for one would have the same opinion as I do Holland. These blokes are professional cricketers...it is their job. The deserve to be given feedback in relation to their professions

If SOK was left out and he came out and said that he had not been spoken to regarding it then I for one would have the same opinion as I do Holland. These blokes are professional cricketers...it is their job. The deserve to be given feedback in relation to their professions

Then Holland can pick up the phone and call them. I would be shocked if they wouldn't at least provide him an answer- albeit the answer is obvious anyway. Forget Swepson he's there to improve and he will do that by getting 1 on 1 tutoring by some of the Indian spinners. Agar and Maxwell are there as AR's, one a batting version and one a bowling version. Lyon is first picked. Was always a choice between SOK and Holland as the 2nd spinner, and SOK played the last test and was in the side before the SL series (Holland covered due to SOK breaking down). The only iffy one is Mitch Marsh, and I guess that was a possibility to a degree, but we sort of need that fast bowling AR to cover all bases.

The issue is not Holland's non-selection, but Cricket Australia's communication.

As the head body of cricket in Australia it should be part of their job description to be in regular contact with EVERY cricketer in the team, on the fringe and even regular state level cricketers who don't have a CA contract.

If we want to have the best possible infrastructure in Oz, then that should involve selectors regularly updating state players on what they think they need to improve on in order to be considered, as well as constant updates with injuries etc. It should not be hard to have a few people employed to do this job.
It's laughable to suggest that it's the players should be calling the selectors up.
Very slack and concerning that this breakdown of communication exists.

The issue is not Holland's non-selection, but Cricket Australia's communication.

As the head body of cricket in Australia it should be part of their job description to be in regular contact with EVERY cricketer in the team, on the fringe and even regular state level cricketers who don't have a CA contract.

If we want to have the best possible infrastructure in Oz, then that should involve selectors regularly updating state players on what they think they need to improve on in order to be considered, as well as constant updates with injuries etc. It should not be hard to have a few people employed to do this job.
It's laughable to suggest that it's the players should be calling the selectors up.
Very slack and concerning that this breakdown of communication exists.
That's a nonsense. The national selectors should be in contact with state coaches and state selectors to get information on performances of players, updates with injuries, etc, not the players themselves. And it is the state reps who should then pass that on to their players.

There are 53 people who have played at least four shield games this year, and some of them are just nowhere near national selection, nor will they ever be.

And hey, maybe they do call everyone on the fringes of national selection, and they still didn't call Jon Holland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back