Australian Vaccine Rollout

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
It's pretty obvious now why they were so keen to push border security onto the states.

The Federal Government lacks both the competence and desire to deliver.

About 3.5 million vaccinations short of their rather humble targets so far.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dumb to try and manage a rollout federally... the Commonwealth health department signs cheques, they don’t deliver services

Should have handed over all the logistics to the states, it’s what they’re good at

States have done the heavy lifting for the past 12 months, surely the Feds had enough time (they took 2+ months to begin administering vaccines while others started) to get processes and procedures sorted.

It's still being done on the run.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
States have done the heavy lifting for the past 12 months, surely the Feds had enough time (they took 2+ months to begin administering vaccines while others started) to get processes and procedures sorted.

It's still being done on the run.
It’s not about processes and procedures, it’s about staff and experience

The federal government do not employ doctors and nurses, run serology labs, operate clinics. They have no domain expertise

The state health services should be running the rollout and the federal government should just get out of their way and provide support

Dec 7, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s not about processes and procedures, it’s about staff and experience

The federal government do not employ doctors and nurses, run serology labs, operate clinics. They have no domain expertise

The state health services should be running the rollout and the federal government should just get out of their way and provide support
They wont do that.

They control the normal influenza rollout as well.
This year the local pharmacy has it to inject before the local GP.

The media narrative still hasn't gone as hard as they remotely should.

Heard 'a major milestone' being reached with 500k injections, just shy of the 4 million originally targeted for.

At this rate we will be lucky to travel internationally by 2025.
It will be interesting to see how international travel plays out as I've had both of my Pfizer vaccine shots in Israel and Im back in Australia later this year. Ive got my Green pass and my Vaccination certificate, so I will be interested to see if I'm going to be able to travel back overseas at some point in the near future.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some of my 20 something not-at-risk American friends already got their first shot over there

Our rollout has been a clusterfu**
Not really a good benchmark, there are good reasons why we haven’t rushed to roll out vaccination as quick as the US and Europe

More of a concern is us not hitting our own deadlines

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I read the other day that in the UK - where the Covid response is widely regarded as completely poo - that they'd vaccinated something like 870,000 in a day! WTF is actually going on here?
The way their NHS is structured makes rolling out a vaccine program pretty easy, and they have plenty of doses due to the contracts they signed

Whilst the government stuffed up a lot about the pandemic they are pretty generally regarded as the gold standard for vaccinations

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Dumb to try and manage a rollout federally... the Commonwealth health department signs cheques, they don’t deliver services

Should have handed over all the logistics to the states, it’s what they’re good at
I agree, somewhat.

This was clearly a political decision aimed at the next election. Scotty could finally get all of the glory, without any of the associated risk.

The problem as you point out, is that the requisite planning and logistical infrastructure is missing at the federal level. Heck they haven't even managed to coordinate with representative medical bodies, that could then pass information on to their members, let alone set up a working system for clinicians and admin to interface with.

It's been a disaster.

I asked my GP when they would be eligible for vaccination, the reply was "the clinic has been trying to find out for weeks, you know as much as I do."

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
The way their NHS is structured makes rolling out a vaccine program pretty easy, and they have plenty of doses due to the contracts they signed

Whilst the government stuffed up a lot about the pandemic they are pretty generally regarded as the gold standard for vaccinations
After Israel.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
It will be interesting to see how international travel plays out as I've had both of my Pfizer vaccine shots in Israel and Im back in Australia later this year. Ive got my Green pass and my Vaccination certificate, so I will be interested to see if I'm going to be able to travel back overseas at some point in the near future.
Lucky to have access to the Pfizer vaccine. The benefits of living abroad and duel citizenship?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our hospital requested vaccination stock but was declined and it’s not clear if we’re going to apply again. A similar issue occurred with accessing the national stockpile of PPE earlier in the lockdown – distribution in that instance was handled by the federally run primary health networks which have always been a joke.

Anecdata about GP clinics only receiving 50 doses a week (despite catering for many more – i.e 500/week) were floating around well before the official launch date, so it’s not surprise we’re hopelessly behind schedule and some of these stories have hit the media. So far it’s been impossible for them to plan, but I expect that to improve once our domestic production of the AZ ramps up. However, we were told that we would have local production of 1 million vaccines/week from the end of March, and it now looks like that’s going to be some months away.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Our hospital requested vaccination stock but was declined and it’s not clear if we’re going to apply again. A similar issue occurred with accessing the national stockpile of PPE earlier in the lockdown – distribution in that instance was handled by the federally run primary health networks which have always been a joke.

Anecdata about GP clinics only receiving 50 doses a week (despite catering for many more – i.e 500/week) were floating around well before the official launch date, so it’s not surprise we’re hopelessly behind schedule and some of these stories have hit the media. So far it’s been impossible for them to plan, but I expect that to improve once our domestic production of the AZ ramps up. However, we were told that we would have local production of 1 million vaccines/week from the end of March, and it now looks like that’s going to be some months away.
Yeah, I mean the whole thing is that you need the supply chain in place and stock on hand, then you open up your booking system. Because clinics will know their stock levels and restock dates, and can thus deliver predictable service to patients.

The Scotty method of "make an announcement, then let others sort it out", is a recipe for dysfunction.

Lucky to have access to the Pfizer vaccine. The benefits of livong abroad and duel citizenship?
Just working over here till later this year and just an Australian citizen. The Israelis were more than happy to provide us with the Pfizer vaccine at no cost even though we aren't Israel citizens.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Just working over here till later this year and just an Australian citizen. The Israelis were more than happy to provide us with the Pfizer vaccine at no cost even though we aren't Israel citizens.
If only our government were as responsible. And we are talking ******* Bibi as well.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
68% of the public want to wait and see before the vaccine.

27% of people don't want vaccine. There is simply no rush. The majority would rather go slow and steady. So stop trying to shove it down our throats because it's not helping. The more misinformation and politicised this gets the less effective it is. So stop being scum

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Typical Scotty Morrison

What's actually your responsibility - borders and quarantine - let's totally abandon that because it's hard and there'll be issues. People will die, meh, leave it to the states

What's not your responsibility - vaccines - we want it! Good news! The Eagle has landed! We got this!

Absolute, deadset, undeniable campaigner.

Back