History Australian War Memorial to depict the Frontier Wars ''broader and deeper'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good move.

But my word will this galvanise the right like nothing else. Putting a frontier wars section in the AWM would attack them on several fronts, their attempt to erasure indigenous history, invoking sympathy for indigenous people on the eve of a referendum, their gatekeeping of Anzacs and Australian military history.

Except vicious resistance from the usual sources against this move. “Dividing the nation”, “insulting our diggers”, “fake history”.

Tony Abbott’s on the board of the AWM. He wouldn’t have supported this move so I wonder if he would speak publicly against it? Can almost guarantee Andrew Bolt is going to have a field day with this…..

Last edited:
Good move.

But my word will this galvanise the right like nothing else. Putting a frontier wars section in the AWM would attack them on several fronts, their attempt to erasure indigenous history, invoking sympathy for indigenous people on the eve of a referendum, their gatekeeping of Anzacs and Australian military history.

Except vicious resistance from the usual sources against this move. “Dividing the nation”, “insulting our diggers”, “fake history”.

Tony Abbott’s on the board of the AWM. He wouldn’t have supported this move so I wonder if he would speak publicly against it? Can almost guarantee Andrew Bolt is going to have a field day with this…..
"Right winger" and I for one am happy to see this to be added to the AWM and im sure it will be done just a fantastic as all the other exhibits there.

What is disgusting is you trying to score points over the exhibit by going straight to what your polical opponents think.

The entire agenda of the right is to deny indigenous history, they spent so much time and energy arguing the stolen generation never existed, now this plush would be right up their culture war alley.

Even the right’s new darling, Jacinta Price, has denied massacres of the frontier wars:

And now the AWM, the embodiment of the Anzac legend they hold so dear to their identity, is going to recognise that armed conflicts and massacres of indigenous people occurred on Australian soil? Yeah can’t see the conservative right keeping quiet about this one.

The entire agenda of the right is to deny indigenous history, they spent so much time and energy arguing the stolen generation never existed, now this plush would be right up their culture war alley.

Even the right’s new darling, Jacinta Price, has denied massacres of the frontier wars:

And now the AWM, the embodiment of the Anzac legend they hold so dear to their identity, is going to recognise that armed conflicts and massacres of indigenous people occurred on Australian soil? Yeah can’t see the conservative right keeping quiet about this one.
The war memorial announcement was last week and so far I havent seen too much chatter about it amongst the conservative media. Unless you or someone else has a link?

The war memorial announcement was last week and so far I havent seen too much chatter about it amongst the conservative media. Unless you or someone else has a link?

I will fight this proposal with every means at my disposal – letters to the Chairman and Service Chiefs, the Minister, the Shadow Minister and the RSL to begin with, followed by a petition to back them up. It is my fervent hope others will likewise say ‘Enough!’.

I'd expect this to filter out to the broader conservative media soon.

Is there any concrete supporting evidence for the "massacres" by John McDouall Stuart that have led to the controversy over his statue?

Historian Stuart Traynor says labelling Stuart as a murdering racist is unfair.

"I think that's an unfair depiction of John McDouall Stuart and the attitude he had in relation to his very few encounters with Aboriginal people during his three trips through the Northern Territory,"

"It's very clear that he tried to avoid any contact that was going to be negative, he had situations, particularly up around the Attack Creek area (June 26 1860) where he was confronted and in fact, he withdrew, he was not overly aggressive."

Of the incident at Mt Hay, (March 5 1862) Traynor says there's no evidence that large numbers of Aboriginal people were killed.

From Stuart's journal on June 26th 1860 at Attack Creek

"I was moving on to the place where we crossed the creek in the morning, when suddenly from behind some scrub which we had just entered, up started three tall powerful fellows fully armed, having a number of boomerangs, waddies, and spears. Their distance from us was about two hundred yards. It being so nearly dark, and the scrub we were then in placing us at a disadvantage, I wished to pass without taking any notice of them, but such was not their intention, for they continued to approach us, calling out and making all sorts of gestures apparently of defiance. I then faced them, making every sign of friendship I could think of. They seemed to be in a great fury, moving their boomerangs above their head, bawling at the top of their voices, and performing some sort of a dance. They were now joined by more of their tribe, so that in a few minutes their numbers had increased to upwards of thirty; every bush seemed to produce a man. Putting the horses on towards the creek, and placing ourselves between them and the natives, I told my men to get their guns ready, for I could see they were determined upon mischief. They paid no regard to all the signs of friendship I kept constantly making, but were still gradually approaching nearer and nearer to us. I felt very unwilling to fire upon them, and still continued making signs of peace and friendship, but all to no purpose. Their leader, an old man, who was in advance, made signs with his boomerang, which we took as a signal for us to be off. They were, however, intended as tokens of defiance, for I had no sooner turned my horse's head to comply with what I thought were their wishes, than we received a shower of boomerangs, accompanied by a fearful yell; they then set fire to the grass, and commenced jumping, dancing, yelling, and throwing their arms into all sorts of postures, like so many fiends. In addition to the thirty that already confronted us, I could now see many others getting up from behind the bushes. Still I felt unwilling to fire upon them, and tried again to make them understand that we wished to do them no harm. Having now approached within about forty yards of us, they made another charge, and threw their boomerangs, which came whistling and whizzing past our ears, one of them striking my horse. I then gave orders to fire, which stayed their mad career for a little. Our pack-horses, which were on before us, took fright when they heard the firing and fearful yelling, and made off for the creek. Seeing some of the blacks running from bush to bush, with the intention of cutting us off from our horses, while those in front were still yelling, throwing their boomerangs, and coming nearer to us, we gave them another reception, and I sent Ben after the horses to drive them on to a more favourable place, while Kekwick and I remained to cover our rear. We soon got in advance of those who were endeavouring to cut us off, but they still kept following, though beyond the reach of our guns, the fearful yelling still continuing from more numerous voices, and fires springing up in every direction. It being now quite dark, with the country scrubby, and our enemies bold and daring, we could be easily surrounded and destroyed by such determined fellows as they have shown themselves to be. Seeing there is no hope with such fearful odds (ten to one at least) against us, and knowing all the disadvantages under which we labour, I very unwillingly make up my mind to push on to our last night's camp."

March 5th 1862

"I had the party prepared to receive an attack; but when they saw us stationary they approached no nearer. I ordered some of the party to fire close to them, to show them we could injure them at a long distance, if they continued to annoy us, but they did not seem at all frightened at the report of the rifles nor the whizzing of the balls near to them, since they still remained in a threatening attitude. With the aid of a telescope we could perceive a number of others concealed in the belt of scrub. They all seemed fine muscular men. There was one tall fellow in particular with a large shield and a very long spear (upwards of twelve feet), which he seemed very anxious to use if he could have got within distance. We crossed the creek, and had proceeded a short distance across the plain, when they again came running towards us, apparently determined to attack; they were received with a discharge of rifles, which caused them to retire and keep at a respectful distance. Having already wasted too much time with them, I proceeded over the plain, keeping a sharp look-out; should they threaten us again, I shall allow them to come close, and make an example of them. It is evident their designs are hostile. Before entering the scrub we could see no signs of them following. About sundown, arrived at Mount Harris without further annoyance."

April 5th 1862

"...at about 9 o'clock a.m. Kekwick, in endeavouring to shoot some ducks, went towards some native smoke, and was met by two natives, who ran away. In an hour afterwards, five natives came within a hundred yards of the camp, and seemed anxious to come up to it, but were not permitted. Two hours afterwards we were again visited by fifteen more, to some of whom a present was made of some looking-glasses and handkerchiefs; at the same time they were given to understand that they must not approach nearer to the camp, and signs were made to them to return to their own camp, which they shortly did. In the afternoon we were again visited by nineteen of them, who approached within a hundred yards of the camp, when they all sat down and had a good stare at us, remaining a long time without showing any inclination to go. At length some of them started the horses which were feeding near the water, and made them gallop towards the camp. This so frightened the natives that they all ran away, and we were not troubled with them for the rest of the evening."

Last edited:
I will fight this proposal with every means at my disposal – letters to the Chairman and Service Chiefs, the Minister, the Shadow Minister and the RSL to begin with, followed by a petition to back them up. It is my fervent hope others will likewise say ‘Enough!’.

I'd expect this to filter out to the broader conservative media soon.
Oh sheesh pretty much every single reply to that article is dripping with paranoia.

So, like I predicted, a few weeks later Sky After Dark has simultaneously exploded about this:

So, like I predicted, a few weeks later Sky After Dark has simultaneously exploded about this:

I mean, if the only reaction has come from the extreme fringes like Bolt and Credlin then it's been received far better than anybody realistically could have hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, if the only reaction has come from the extreme fringes like Bolt and Credlin then it's been received far better than anybody realistically could have hoped

And Barnaby Joyce and Andrew Hastie. This will probably be folded into the overall anti Indigenous campaign the right is going to run over the next few years

Right wingers would be happier recognising culture wars before our First Nations peoples!

The battles of the Culture Wars will see Andrew Bolt receive a VC for “owning the lefties” and Peta Credlin a mention in dispatches for “attacking wokeism”

I mean, if the only reaction has come from the extreme fringes like Bolt and Credlin then it's been received far better than anybody realistically could have hoped.
I don’t know if any polling has ever been done on the topic, but I daresay that these days a majority of Australians grasp what was done to the indigenous population of Australia and recognise that they were fighting for their nation.

Kinda what we should be memorialising I would think.

I can't recall the artist, but an Indigenous man was commissioned to create an installation in front of a public building in Brisbane. He claimed the placement of elements of the work had no particular significance, but later showed how he had marked out the sites of Aboriginal clashes with Europeans on a map of Queensland.

High fives all round.

There it is:

Ms Foley had initially said the sculptures and pavestones were reflections of extreme weather events across the state, however three months after the sculpture was erected, the locations were revealed to be the sites where massacres of Aborigines had occurred.

"I just thought this is such an important site outside of Brisbane's Magistrates Court that I can't afford to waste this opportunity ... I knew the real meaning of the work would be too controversial so I had to cast it in more appealing, somewhat appealing terminology," she said.

"That is only because I had done previous trials (of the topic), and people weren't accepting of the truth, that wasn't just in Brisbane.

"I thought I can't be too truthful about this project because it will never get up."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back