Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was interested to see that the winner of the SPW Southern Rumble in NZ next weekend (joint SPW/MCW event) will get a chance to challenge for the MCW and SPW championships at MCW Ballroom Brawl on 20th July at Thornbury Theatre.

Hooligan and Slex have a match on the SPW card in which the winner will take both belts.

Would love to see Travis Banks take out the SPW rumble and then face off v Slex at Ballroom Brawl. Now that would be a great match.

Slex beat Markus for both titles, and managed to retain both titles against the rumble winner at MCW Ballroom Brawl - JK Moody

Slex will face the winner of the Ballroom Brawl at the next MCW show for the MCW World title.

Adam Brooks

Slex will face the winner of the Ballroom Brawl at the next MCW show for the MCW World title.

Adam Brooks

The pop when the winner of the Ballroom Brawl rumble came out for his entrance was one of the loudest I've heard in my 5 years of going to watch MCW at Thornbury Theatre!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slex to ROH

This is great. All of the best matches I’ve watched live in Melbourne over the last few years have all involved this guy. Slex is the Business!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've been meaning to check out Melbourne City Wrestling for ages, as Thornbury Theatre is only down the road from me.

I went tonight... and I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't been going for years.

Tonight's show was ******* incredible. Will Ospreay vs Dowie James, Adam Brooks vs Slex and Avary vs Kellyanne were all legit 4 star + matches. I'm almost keen to pay for the stream tomorrow just to see if it's as good as it was watching it live.

It was funny - amidst a really great night of wrestling, with Caveman Ugg vs Hartley Jackson and Psycho vs Royce also really great matches, it's incredible how Ospreay is still a class above. He's faster, his gear is more expensive, he's more crisp than everyone else. Even little things like the speed with which he hits the ropes set him above everyone else. (And all this before he confirmed his broken heel last last week at WrestleKingdom.)

They won a new fan tonight. I know that Ospreay won't be there for their next show in 3 weeks - but ****ed if I won't be there. This was the funnest night I've had in friggen ages.

I've been meaning to check out Melbourne City Wrestling for ages, as Thornbury Theatre is only down the road from me.

I went tonight... and I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't been going for years.

Tonight's show was ******* incredible. Will Ospreay vs Dowie James, Adam Brooks vs Slex and Avary vs Kellyanne were all legit 4 star + matches. I'm almost keen to pay for the stream tomorrow just to see if it's as good as it was watching it live.

It was funny - amidst a really great night of wrestling, with Caveman Ugg vs Hartley Jackson and Psycho vs Royce also really great matches, it's incredible how Ospreay is still a class above. He's faster, his gear is more expensive, he's more crisp than everyone else. Even little things like the speed with which he hits the ropes set him above everyone else. (And all this before he confirmed his broken heel last last week at WrestleKingdom.)

They won a new fan tonight. I know that Ospreay won't be there for their next show in 3 weeks - but f’ed if I won't be there. This was the funnest night I've had in friggen ages.

Nice one. I saw Jackson last weekend and was pretty impressed. Feel like he's just at that age of teaching younger guys and putting them over. Crazy you got Ospreay though. I saw Robbie Eagles last year and thought similar to what you said about Will

They won a new fan tonight. I know that Ospreay won't be there for their next show in 3 weeks - but f’ed if I won't be there. This was the funnest night I've had in friggen ages.

Do you reckon it's OK to bring along a 12 year old?

My son is slowly getting a taste for pro-wrestling (although he hates modern WWE because "they talk too much and never fight").

My son is slowly getting a taste for pro-wrestling (although he hates modern WWE because "they talk too much and never fight").

It should be fine. I haven't gone for years because I moved to Brisbane but the fans didn't really chant anything offensive and it isn't trying to be classic ECW or anything that's trying to push good taste.

I would say that it probably depends on how mature your 12 year old is.

Ospreay said f*ck I think twice in his promo. I think there was one chant all night that said f*ck in it. But that's probably nothing that 12 year olds don't hear in the school yard.

As someone who tries to be progressive I probably have a little more of a problem with Avary. I thought she was hilarious, and I really enjoyed her match. But she wrestles in tights that show most of her arse, and at one point she turned her arse towards the hard cam and pulled her pants up her butt crack, revealing the rest of her arse. In her post match promo she acknowledged not being a good representation of women, but "someone has to represent the trash bags."

Even that is probably something that can be overcome though, and even turned into a learning experience with a 12 year old.

There were plenty of kids and women at the show. I'd just make sure though that I bought seats. There is some seating available for GA tickets, but it seemed like you had to be lined up when doors open to get them, and if you're standing a 12 year old might not see anything. (3 hours is also a long time for a kid to stand)

Last edited:
I went and saw MCW's Clash of the Titans show last night. I'll reiterate what I said after Vendetta - I can't believe I haven't been going to these shows for years!

Last night's show wasn't as great as Vendetta. But I get the feeling that Vendetta might've been an all-time classic kind of show. (Seriously, the stream is now online - go watch it!)

The highlights of last night:
  • Avary won the women's belt, which I loved. She's so charismatic and entertaining. The match against Steph De Lander wasn't as good as Avary's match last month against Kelly Anne, but it was ok. And it looks like we're getting Avary vs Kelly Anne again next month.
  • Caveman Ugg beat Danny Psycho for the Intercommonwealth title in what I thought was probably match of the night. Psycho's tattoos are absolute garbage, but he can work like a mother *er. And Ugg is good enough in the ring that he pulls off the campy character really well.
  • Dowie James opened the show with such a great dick heel promo. I enjoy his work, and I'm usually a more quiet wrestling fan, but he even had me booing last night. He's such a jerk, with such a punchable face. (He did say "*" and "dick head" in his promo, in what were the only MA15+ moments of the night.)
  • They announced Jimmy Havoc for the next show in March. I've only seen his AEW work, but I'm excited to see him based on what I've heard of him in other promotions.
I really like Adam Brooks as well, but his match against Davis Storm last night was, I think, hurt badly by the fact that no one in the building thought the title was going to change hands.

Again, I'd give this show a huge thumbs up. If you can get to Thornbury Theatre - which isn't too hard, it's on the 86 tram line and the Mernda train line - I'd so encourage you to check it out. The wrestling's fun, the production is outstanding, the venue is brilliant. I love MCW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back