Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I recognise the name from the old WNA days, and from the MCW discord when u ran it. Welcome! I’m glad I won’t just be talking to myself in this thread now!

Do you travel much to shows? I don’t really know what you look like other than seeing you at a couple of MCW shows, but i saw someone that I thought could’ve been you at the FWA show before Christmas. I was keen to introduce myself, but I actually had fu** all clue whether it was you or not! (I only really thought it might be cos I’d also seen this woman at DMDU shows.)

When I get back to Melbourne I might be in touch. I’d love to get involved in the scene, just as a volunteer when I get back. I struggled to get friends to DMDU after the DREAM tournament (in hindsight that was an awful first show to take people to), and I doubt I’ll get regulars to ROW either, so I figure that rather than go as a loner, volunteer to fo a job and meet people that way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember you from WNA days too!

I took a break from local wrestling and returned to attending shows in person earlier this year. So definitely not me at FWA at Christmas. But I have been to DMDU shows this year, and have plans to do a bit more traveling (aside from what I am doing at Renegades) as well.

Happy to introduce you around to people at Renegades, you’ll never be alone there I promise.

I have been watching so many shows today, but on the subject of - seeing Shazza and Joey have a bit of a brawl at JJSB. Their initial feud kicked off a few years ago, when he pronounced women wouldn’t be in the Clusterf—k rumble. Shazza led a charge of women to invade the rumble at the time and it was EPIC. So today to see it come full circle, and for her to have a moment with her hero (MAVEN!!), absolutely delightful.

Looking forward to seeing DMDU Malice at the Palais in Geelong on Saturday night. Pretty stacked card too...

Six person scramble: Emman the Kid vs Broderick Valentine vs Chanel Phoenix vs Mike Kaos vs Kid Valiant vs Rochelle Rogue.
Will Walker vs Joel Bateman
Gore vs York
Big Deathmatch Energy vs Anti-Deathmatch Party
JXT vs Shazza McKenzie
Misspent Youth vs Scotty Roach & Xavier Black
Mad Dog McCrea vs Vixsin in a no-rope barbed wire match
Royce Chambers vs Edward Dusk for the DMDU title.
Did you see the NCW show in Lara on Saturday night ?,I had tickets but couldn't make it

My mate wants to get into wrestling in Melbourne, any recommendations on the best place for him to go get training?

From what I've heard they're all pretty reasonable, so it'd depend on where you live.

Out west you'd go to JXT's school, in the northern suburbs you'd go to the MCW academy, in the south east you'd be looking at the PCW academy. I'm not sure if he's still training, but a lot of the best wrestlers in Melbourne today were trained by Carlo Cannon - it'd be worth seeing if he's still training (although I'm pretty sure his school was as far south as Seaford or Franga).

Shame your mate isn't in Sydney, the amount PWA commits to their academy, in terms of who they have run it and the shows they put on to give them a full experience, it appears as though it's the most complete training in the country, especially when Robbie is there and involved.

From what I've heard they're all pretty reasonable, so it'd depend on where you live.

Out west you'd go to JXT's school, in the northern suburbs you'd go to the MCW academy, in the south east you'd be looking at the PCW academy. I'm not sure if he's still training, but a lot of the best wrestlers in Melbourne today were trained by Carlo Cannon - it'd be worth seeing if he's still training (although I'm pretty sure his school was as far south as Seaford or Franga).

Shame your mate isn't in Sydney, the amount PWA commits to their academy, in terms of who they have run it and the shows they put on to give them a full experience, it appears as though it's the most complete training in the country, especially when Robbie is there and involved.
AFAIK - Carlo's training school is in Brunswick.

I'd love one day if we could organise to go to an event some of us one day here in Melbourne I legit have no friends at all who are in to wrestling and I don't want to go to an event on my own

I'm not 100% certain to be coming back to Melbourne on my road trip - but I'd be into this if we could organise 4-5 of us. (I think 2-3 would be a bit weird)

I already have a regular MCW crew, and I think msrhiiii said she was doing some work for Renegades. So it probably only leaves DMDU of the city-based options (although if everyone else lived out south-east, I'd probably travel for a PCW or even a BCW show.)

I'd love one day if we could organise to go to an event some of us one day here in Melbourne I legit have no friends at all who are in to wrestling and I don't want to go to an event on my own

Yes, I am working behind the scenes at Renegades. If you come down to the show Shade, let me know - and I will introduce you to some people (new friends!) and you'll have someone to sit with. :)

MCW last night was incredible. The opening match between the Velocities and the Natural Classics, and the main event cage match between Slex and Rocky Menero, were such good matches for wholly different reasons. The main in particular was an old school cage grudge match. Rocky bled heaps too - think Austin at Mania 13 levels.

They’re still drawing good crowds - not to it’s peak when Mikey was running the joint - but the in-ring stuff has been as consistently good as it ever was. Highly recommend the show on VOD when it comes out.

Unfortunately Royce Chambers didn’t show up for the second consecutive month due to his knee injury. Hoping it’s not too serious, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was following the lead of some others and looking to take his talents abroad once he’s healed up.

Otherwise, looking forward to ROW in a couple of weeks.

Would have liked to see DMDU too for the Colon match, but it clashes with the footy. After his arm injury at Joey Janela’s Spring Break show over Mania weekend I’m surprised he made it out here at all. Hope it’s not too serious and he isn’t working while badly hurt.

Last edited:
I’ll try to offer a more comprehensive rundown tomorrow but I scored a free ticket to DMDU quite late in the piece and had nothing on so decided to get along.

The main event (Butcher v Colon) was exactly what I thought it would be. Colon is obviously one of the most well-known practitioners of death match wrestling for a reason, and credit to Butcher as he took a heap of brutal bumps. It’s the best showing I’ve seen from Callen. That will definitely be worth a re-watch on IWTV.

The problem is the shows are just far too long. There ended up being 10 matches (the eight that were announced and two additional) plus a bunch of angles and a 15-minute intermission. Almost the entire period before intermission was a total slog (Dusk v Connors was good for the last 5-7 minutes and Evans v Bateman was fun, but nothing else was above **). It picked up after intermission (the five way match was reasonable and the Heavyweight title match + the aftermath very entertaining), but the card was four matches too long overall and the crowd was well and truly burnt out by about 10pm. I got home at midnight and live 15 mins from the venue. I think they need to get a little smarter and realise that less is more with the booking sometimes.

Word on social media is that Royce Chambers retired tonight, which is so devastating. I think he's only 23, but he's one of the most gifted talents I've seen in wrestling. I hope it's only a "see you later" while he heals up some physical and mental hurdles, but it was apparently presented very much as a retirement.

In the time I've been following Auswrestling, he's easily had the most memorable matches. (Brooksy probably has a higher percentage of good matches, I think Moretti and Psycho were the only matches of his title reign under 3.5 stars. But whereas Brooksy chose his spots working for only the best promotions in Australia, Royce was working everywhere every weekend.)

I remember he and Charlie Evans put on about the best 7 minute match I've ever seen live during the DMDU title tournament last year. His MCW match with Slex last year was probably low key in the top 5 MCW matches last year. I remember I went home from my first MCW event where Brooksy and Slex opened the show and Ospreay and campaigners name redacted closed the show with incredible matches - but I walked away the most blown away by the athleticism of Royce, and that was despite his match that night being against Danny Psycho, who was not built for that kind of opponent.

I never did watch the 3-way from the MCW academy show, I might have to do that now.

He did say “quitting” but I just inferred he was banged up and would be going back to Japan or something once healed. The match was uncharacteristically short but I had half-expected that because I knew he was carrying something.

I hope he’s okay mentally. To be honest I didn’t hear the full speech at the end. If he’s actually pulled the pin then that would be a tragedy. He’s the best we’ve got. There are plenty of people whose “level” is only Aus wrestling but if he sticks with it, Royce’s best is miles beyond that.

He did say “quitting” but I just inferred he was banged up and would be going back to Japan or something once healed. The match was uncharacteristically short but I had half-expected that because I knew he was carrying something.

I hope he’s okay mentally. To be honest I didn’t hear the full speech at the end. If he’s actually pulled the pin then that would be a tragedy. He’s the best we’ve got. There are plenty of people whose “level” is only Aus wrestling but if he sticks with it, Royce’s best is miles beyond that.

Did Butcher beat Colon? I haven't been able to find a result on twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they need to get a little smarter and realise that less is more with the booking sometimes.

Just on that, it's interesting that you say how long the shows have started going. The few I went to last were bang on 3 hours + intermission. (I think it was Juice night 2 where the intermission unfortunately went nearly 40 minutes because of the Gweedo/Butcher war just before intermission.)

They're very heavily influenced by GCW, and they're obviously fans of it - but these 4-5 hour GCW shows are the last thing I would want DMDU replicating.

Did Butcher beat Colon? I haven't been able to find a result on twitter.
Yes, via ref stoppage. Then Colon beat the stuffing out of Bateman who had been at ringside throughout the match and at one point had stopped Colon from using a weapon. I basically left at that point but figure they’re probably building Colon v Bateman for the ICW:NHB show here.

Yes, via ref stoppage. Then Colon beat the stuffing out of Bateman who had been at ringside throughout the match and at one point had stopped Colon from using a weapon. I basically left at that point but figure they’re probably building Colon v Bateman for the ICW:NHB show here.

Cheers for that. Ref stoppage in a death match? That feels a little Rollins vs Fiend HIAC.

Bateman announced this week that he’s doing another US tour soon, I’d wondered if they might try and do the “make it a WORLD title” gimmick with Colon winning, having a successful defence over there before Bateman beats him and brings it home.

Just on that, it's interesting that you say how long the shows have started going. The few I went to last were bang on 3 hours + intermission. (I think it was Juice night 2 where the intermission unfortunately went nearly 40 minutes because of the Gweedo/Butcher war just before intermission.)

They're very heavily influenced by GCW, and they're obviously fans of it - but these 4-5 hour GCW shows are the last thing I would want DMDU replicating.
Yep, it’s turning into a bit of an issue. It would be a rare show that I could sit through four hours and not find myself fatigued. And we’re not talking PWG-calibre wrestling here. It’s great that they showcase young talent but a lot of the guys/girls they’re putting in the underneath matches are super green. I don’t want to be disparaging of anyone either because the “vibe” of DMDU is really good and they’re giving people exposure, but there are quite a number of wrestlers there that have been around Aus wrestling for a fair while who have arguably found their ceiling and don’t really enhance the product.

I quite like the idea of having one “dark” match at 7pm per show for 1-2 prelim wrestlers each show and just sticking with five or six matches on the main card featuring their more top-end talent. Quite a number of these guys/girls should really still be getting a majority of their reps in training. The quality female talent in particular is being Hoovered up overseas (which is great) but the girls coming up behind them are in many cases quite a way off being show ready.

Cheers for that. Ref stoppage in a death match? That feels a little Rollins vs Fiend HIAC.

I say ref stoppage, though the referee’s back was to me and he totally obscured the wrestlers so I couldn’t actually see - I assume Colon didn’t tap out, and instead must have passed out, so it could have been a submission. But yes - definitely not via pinfall.

Last edited:

Confirmed - sad news. Hope he’s okay and we’ll see him back in due course. Of all the talent in Australia right now, Royce is the best of the lot for mine.

Nobby mentioned the MCW match against Slex as one of the better matches of 2021. To that I’d add an absolute belter he had at WrestleRock v Adam Brookes at Brewery Brawl.

In fact, I can’t remember him having a bad match. Even against arguably less compatible opponents (ie Gore) he was usually in the conversation for MOTN. This is a big loss.

I’ve only been attending Auswrestling for 3 years or so, which included the big COVID gap. Is it always like this, where your faves are stepping away for reasons you don’t quite get?

I might’ve thought twice if I were Kid Valiant, this title is cursed.

In the last year and a bit, the Melbourne scene has lost Royce & Richie, as well as Avary, Kellyanne, Jett Rouka, Nick Bury? (He appeared at the last MCW show, but I don’t think he’s worked in the last year.) Mike Burr retired before popping up at PCW last week, Danny Psycho retired.

And on top of that, I expect that Slex will be doing more than one NOAH tour, cos he’ll always have that calling card vs Okada that immediately demands respect. Brooksy is overseas for at least a few months. I know they’re Sydney based, but I think the Velocities are about to spend a bit of time OS.

We lost campaigners name redacted for other reasons during the pandemic. MCW lost Lochie just as he was becoming the top heel - at least he’s still working everywhere else.

I’ll watch last week’s MCW show in the next week or so, but seeing everyone who wasn’t on the show stops it being at all a priority.

I’ve only been attending Auswrestling for 3 years or so, which included the big COVID gap. Is it always like this, where your faves are stepping away for reasons you don’t quite get?

I might’ve thought twice if I were Kid Valiant, this title is cursed.

In the last year and a bit, the Melbourne scene has lost Royce & Richie, as well as Avary, Kellyanne, Jett Rouka, Nick Bury? (He appeared at the last MCW show, but I don’t think he’s worked in the last year.) Mike Burr retired before popping up at PCW last week, Danny Psycho retired.

And on top of that, I expect that Slex will be doing more than one NOAH tour, cos he’ll always have that calling card vs Okada that immediately demands respect. Brooksy is overseas for at least a few months. I know they’re Sydney based, but I think the Velocities are about to spend a bit of time OS.

We lost campaigners name redacted for other reasons during the pandemic. MCW lost Lochie just as he was becoming the top heel - at least he’s still working everywhere else.

I’ll watch last week’s MCW show in the next week or so, but seeing everyone who wasn’t on the show stops it being at all a priority.
I think there has been more upheaval than prior years, but also with borders reopening, those that had made plans to go abroad are playing catch-up and without work a few others have probably decided to pull the pin. Plus it appears that the emergence of Renegades has had a disruptive effect of sorts.

I’ve probably only been attending with a degree or regularity since 2016/17 myself. Having said that, before the cohort you mentioned above, it was Elliott Sexton (aka Duke Hudson), Indi Hartwell, Steph De Lander (Persia? I don’t watch WWE), Jonah Rock, Toni Storm and a few others like Matt Silva prior to then. So there has always been an outflow of talent.

As far as I know, Kellyanne went full RWNJ with her partner (I can’t remember his name, Allan someone) being full-on anti-vax conspiracy theorist types. So they’ve stepped away but are pretty much unbookable anyway. She did have that ROH contract in early 2020 though which is unfortunate for her.

Bury is not to that level, and I’m pretty sure he retired, but definitely also hurt his prospects with some inane social media commentary during lockdown along similar lines. I thought his appearance at Rite of Passage was a nice touch but he doesn’t appear to be in ring shape at the minute. I’d like to see him come back for a heel run against Waterman at some point and wouldn’t rule it out.

Ritchie was a personal favourite of mine (his series of matches with DCT when DCT toured were brilliant), but he was openly talking about pulling the pin and had been for ages when DMDU put the title on him. I don’t know why they did that but I appreciated the recognition they gave him.

Rouka had a chronic injury I think and might have been acting on medical advice. Avary will be back soon. I know Mike Burr stepped away, and I liked him in MCW, but he wasn’t being booked a whole lot so far as I could tell and I think there might have been a disjuncture between where he saw himself and where promoters did.

Psycho seemed to pop up from time to time and had that IC title run at the end of 2019, but he would’ve only wrestled a handful of matches over the last five years (and only 40 in total from the start of 2013, according to Cagematch).

I think things will stabilise a little from here now that WWE has completely reversed course on their strategy of signing absolutely everyone. AEW is bloated too. If there are opportunities for Aussies I expect they’ll be in Japan, and that means they can continue to work here if they still live locally as Eagles has done, and like I expect Slex will do, especially considering companies like NJPW, Noah et al are touring outfits.

Hendricks was a weird one. I have no idea what happened and why he walked out of MCW without dropping the title, which is obviously a very unprofessional thing to do (absent a compelling reason at least, which maybe he had).

And I’ve said my bit about his character in DMDU but it was totally out of place to begin with absent the capable top line babyface foils he had in MCW. They’ve gone into overdrive to get the Anti-Deathmatch Party over as heels as it is starting to generate a better crowd response than it did initially. Fundamentally though, guys like Mad Dog and Callen Butcher just don’t work with Hendricks as guys like Slex, Eagles, Ritchie and the man who shan’t be named did. I expect he’ll be far better suited to Renegades but he’d want to be booked as a bona fide upper card guy to make up for what he lost by leaving MCW where he was such a natural fit.

On the whole though, talent has always been cycled in and out of MCW. My impression is that the talent they’re using now (Rocky Menero and The Parea from Adelaide together with Matt Hayter who we will hopefully see more of, Mick Moretti, Jack Bonza, the Velocities et al from PWA in Sydney) are better than the guys they’ve replaced. Menero and The Parea’s current run in particular has been great.

Also, you may be right about the DMDU title being cursed, but it’s not Kid Valiant who needs to be worried about that after they went full on Hogan-Yokozuna-Bret Hart circa WM9 last night with Gore.

I suspect the new ownership of MCW is considered "controversial" - it would be nearly 20 years ago, but I remember the Australian wrestling forum on WNA, and Herbstreit seems a bit of a like or loathe character. (I'm sure msrhiiii has thoughts, though I doubt she'll share them :D )

You're probably right on the touring thing - we're probably just getting bitten at the moment cos no one has been able to go overseas for 2 years and we've just finished WM season, so a whole bunch went OS at the same time.

Hopefully you're right about Avary. Renegades did announce her as one of their first roster members, but there's been nothing on her socials to suggest she's close to coming back. I remember talking to her after an MCW show, and we didn't discuss wrestling at all - we talked about dogs and how she was training to be a vet nurse, which I remember thinking at the time seemed to give her more of a glint in her eye than wrestling talk did.

I'd heard similar of Kellyanne and Bury, and agree that old mate looked like s**t when Mitchy won the title. Kellyanne was extremely bitter about how the ROH stuff went down on the Russo podcast, so she might've stepped away anyway.

I'd love to know what happened with Hendricks. He was being positioned as top heel, he beat Richie in the loser leaves MCW match, and then he also left without defending the title. I'm a couple of DMDU shows behind now, so I can't really comment on ADMP. I totally agree though that it's hard to integrate this kind of gimmick into a death match promotion though. Especially as a longterm gimmick. I was surprised War Games was announced last night, cos I don't really see a path for ADMP after that (cos they can't win it), and they weren't s**t before Lochie appeared. They were undercard jobbers who weren't over.

I like Rocky as a direct replacement for campaigners name redacted as top heel, and I really like Jess Troy and The Parea. I'm just not sure how sustainable it is to be flying in over half a dozen wrestlers for every show though. The last show I saw (Right of Passage) had Rocky (for a run in!), The Parea, Delta, Jess Troy, Cherry Stephens and Kaz Jordan all as fly-ins. I don't know that you can keep doing that... but they don't really have a choice with Rocky, The Parea, Jess Troy, probably Delta, and now Moretti all becoming central to the show.

And to be honest, since jumping on PWA during the MCW feud, and having watched bits and pieces of RCW and EPW (which could be in trouble? Davis announced we wouldn't see him for a while, their last show was 2 months ago and they have nothing announced) - I lose a bit of enthusiasm with the guys they choose to bring in, cos I think there are better options.

I'd rather see Hayter or Diamond than Moretti. I'd be keen to see Mikey Nicholls over someone like Kaz Jordan (although Nicholls has only had 1 match in 6 months). If The Parea aren't going to win the belts (which isn't imminent with the Classics holding them), I think I'd rather see Luchi and Kiedis. I'd much rather see Xena, Tarlee (who just moved to Melbourne) or Kingsley over someone as green as Cherry Stephens. I'd love t see guys like Tommy Knight and Rat Daddy over someone like Jack Bonza. And I dunno what's happening with Broderick, but I want him back too!

(* I can talk now that I finally have a couple of people to discuss Aussie wrestling with!)

I remember Rohan from WNA (and WWFDU before that). I was on the forum for a time though honestly can’t recall my own username. I don’t know him personally at all but the whole sale intrigued me. Rohan as far as I know was running the MCW Academy, and Mikey did indicate at the time of the sale that he would continue to be involved. Notwithstanding that, he moved on, the back of house personnel has all changed, and a handful of wrestlers/personalities (eg Andy Coyne) all checked out soon after.

I would love to know what happened with Broderick too. I don’t think he fits in with the above group, I think he was just put in COVID protocol (so to speak), couldn’t make Fight to Survive and hasn’t been booked since.

I do think it is noteworthy that a lot of the top talent (Slex, Brooksey, etc) have been quite staunch in their support of MCW in its current iteration though. This is why I still think their shows are the best from a quality perspective. I haven’t seen any matches elsewhere (in-person) this year that come close to Slex/Rocky, the Velocities/Natural Classics and particularly Brooks v Waterman. Royce v Kid Valiant could have given it a shake last night if it wasn’t all over in five minutes (but credit to Royce for showing up now knowing what we do).

I agree with you on some of the names listed and I’m sure we’ll see them in time as well. But from a booking perspective, it makes sense to have Bonza here next month (he beat Waterman at the MCW/PWA show so this will allow Waterman to get a win back as his first defence) and Moretti is a very solid hand (who put on a **** IC title match with Hayter last show) and can hold the title until the Ascension Tournament runs it’s course. Possibly until he gets murdered by Andrewartha (although it seems like the long-term plan with Andrewartha is to face Zhan Wen). My sense is that Waterman probably retains to face the winner of the Ballroom Brawl whenever that is.

Jessica Troy is tremendous and Delta seems to me to be the ultimate destination for the company. My sense is that using talent like Cherry (even at the cost of an airfare) and Aysha gets the key female talent on the show and keeps them strong without burning through opponents as they build toward a genuine title match. It’d be good to see Tarlee get booked in MCW again; she has a good look. However I don’t think I ever saw her booked to win a match in her first run (admittedly I didn’t go every month or to their G.IRL shows so I’m certain I haven’t seen them all). Whether she’s at Troy’s level, I’m not sure. Will get a good look at ROW anyway. It feels like the female talent has been more depleted across the board so they need to be a little measured in building to their big matches.

To this point, despite a few challenges, I think MCW’s longer-term booking has been very good, particularly with the Waterman / Ballroom Brawl arc, but also in other key areas. I’ve taken two mates to the last two shows who aren’t wrestling fans at all and they are completely into it. If they can keep the delicate balance of match quality, story-telling and overall show length right I really think the company is in for a great year. I’m not sure who the brains are behind the booking (potentially Kracker Jack?) but whoever it is very much deserves the benefit of the doubt in my view.

Last edited:
I have a few thoughts... (I go away for a week and the conversation has exploded here!)

Hendricks was a weird one. I have no idea what happened and why he walked out of MCW without dropping the title, which is obviously a very unprofessional thing to do (absent a compelling reason at least, which maybe he had).

I've known Hendricks from the time he entered into the business. He is one of the most professional people I know and holds the business with such respect & care, so whatever happened there - had to have been pretty major for him to make the incredibly difficult decision to leave. I am excited to see what's next for him, as the evolution of his time in wrestling has been very cool to watch.

Confirmed - sad news. Hope he’s okay and we’ll see him back in due course. Of all the talent in Australia right now, Royce is the best of the lot for mine.

I am hoping that with time, Royce will be back. I am very pleased to see the outpour of support for him today though, it's good to see across the board.

I suspect the new ownership of MCW is considered "controversial" - it would be nearly 20 years ago, but I remember the Australian wrestling forum on WNA, and Herbstreit seems a bit of a like or loathe character. (I'm sure msrhiiii has thoughts, though I doubt she'll share them :D )

I am not sure which thoughts you're asking for here. As with any business that gets new management, things change - and people either like it or don't. That doesn't make them bad changes necessarily, just change. Personally, I've worked alongside Rohan with regards to wrestling & other projects, and I've always felt we've collaborated well and I respect that he is very good at what he does.

For me, I departed MCW toward the end of 2020. I was fairly unwell, and needed to take some time out to focus on getting better. I am sure I had a bit of burnout as well unbeknownst to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for a few people! Since I've been away, I've recovered, finished my degree and taken a lot of the lessons learned in with me. I am excited to get back to work again, and can't wait until Saturday 30 April. :) plug done

Anyone have any knowledge or familiarity with QWA out of Townsville? I’m kind of stuck here for a little while cos I don’t have the money to get home, but it’s only 15 bucks.

I can’t find any evidence that they stream, and quite a bit of their roster don’t even have Cagematch pages. Does it sound a bit backyardy, or is that just how local wrestling is outside the capital cities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back