Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This was announced this morning-- and I'm totally excited for it.

Destory All Lines has an excellent reputation as a music touring company & has previously co-promoted the NJPW shows down under. They were also responsible for bringing both Bruce Prichard & Eric Bischoff out here for their live speaking shows back in 2018/19. They understand wrestling and hopefully are prepared to make this something special.

Destory All Lines has an excellent reputation as a music touring company & has previously co-promoted the NJPW shows down under. They were also responsible for bringing both Bruce Prichard & Eric Bischoff out here for their live speaking shows back in 2018/19. They understand wrestling and hopefully are prepared to make this something special.

It's interesting that MCW was sold during the pandemic break, but it's owner went straight to DMDU, and its owner and creative leader are now leading this new promotion. It's also interesting that the number of talent starting to leave MCW is growing significant.

let's see who they announce for their roster first...

let's see who they announce for their roster first...

Most likely a mix of the current Melbourne City Wrestling & Death Match Down Under rosters.

Most likely a mix of the current Melbourne City Wrestling & Death Match Down Under rosters.

They're saying they're a national promotion, so there'll be some guys out of (at least) Adelaide and Sydney too I'd think.

They're saying they're a national promotion, so there'll be some guys out of (at least) Adelaide and Sydney too I'd think.

They'll use Newcastle, Adelaide & Sydney talent when they are in those cities or as occasional talent--- but it's going to be a Melbourne based promotion, so the majority of the talent will be Melbourne based.

First person named.

It bums me out that this announcement demonstrates that this is likely to be more AusWrestling w***ery where they don't want their wrestlers working for other companies. It's a bit pathetic in a scene as small as ours. DMDU and PCW look like they're prepared to share talent - but it looks like MCW and ROW are going to continue with this exclusivity bullshit.

Ironically she's contributing to the toxic bullshit that she's complaining about in page 1, especially when I know some of the people/companies. This inability to hold our s**t together in a tiny scene is what has killed wrestling in Melbourne over and over.

The 2nd page? I feel horrible for what happened, and I'm glad she finally felt comfortable talking about it. But page 2 seems a bit incongruous with page 1 and her reasons for leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only way wrestling in Australia takes off past MCW levels is some level of mainstream exposure (look at WhatCulture and what they did for the BritWres scene) or if someone with Tony Kahn levels of love for wrestling and deep pockets comes in and just starts their own promotion and is happy taking a loss for a while as it goes national.

We've had a lot of great wrestlers come up in the past few years but geography and a parochial mindset between different states and the promotions in them holds us back.

I finally got around to listening to the Kellyanne interview. I have so many thoughts:

- firstly, “staying around” wrestling appears to allude to a podcast she wants to do. Cos wrestling doesn’t have enough of those!
- this is a horrible show. I guess you have to have an ego and a strong sense of self to think you’re interesting enough to have a podcast, but Russo getting a guest in to do 66% of the talking himself is infuriating. (Not to mention “I don’t want to get all religious” before getting religious.)
- she was obviously very hurt by what happened at ROH even before the mass sacking. Justifiably too - but let’s not pretend you put your wrestling career on hold for 2 years. What opportunities was she saying no to?
- regarding Australian wrestling, she only really covered it for the last 15 minutes, it didn’t seem to be the reason for quitting. But she’s upset with Mikey Jay & Chris Fresh because they were the booker/owner who told someone to keep their rape quiet because they needed to keep the belt on the offender. Mikey has been working for DMDU, which in many ways is a response to speaking out; they’re also behind the new Renegades of Wrestling operation. (DMDU have gone heavy in what Kellyanne would call nonsensical inter gender wrestling.)
- her beef with women being encouraged to join speaking out was weird. As a survivor of childhood trauma myself, it never occurred to me to be bitter towards people who got justice just because I never got any.
- I wonder if part of her bitterness to speaking out is because it cost her the opportunity in ROH. (ie. Mart Scurll’s firing)

The real key in what she says is the bullshit about “cancel culture.” Firstly, you haven’t been “cancelled” when it’s your controversial views that have amplified your voice, secondly, cancel culture, what she said about social media and wrestling intertwining in real life, and what she wrote in her message about boutique activists again I suspect refers to the names above, because a couple of wrestlers were prominent in their views/attendance at anti-vax/anti-lockdown rallies, and one of those guys in particular has been booked once since then to finish up, and as far as I know hasn’t been booked in Melbourne since (ie. “cancelled” cos companies don’t want a moron representing them.) Kellyanne seems to have fallen on the side of the anti-vax faction in Australian wrestling, even if she’s not saying it herself.

Last edited:
Kellyanne seems to have fallen on the side of the anti-vax faction in Australian wrestling, even if she’s not saying it herself.

In the first 5 minutes of the podcast (listening to it now)--- Kellyanne speaks about Melbourne as having "police on the streets" enforcing lockdown rules.

Well well, my old friend nobbyiscool! Good to see you!

For anyone interested, check out Queensland Wrestling Alliance. Based out of Townsville for the last 8 or so years, I've gotten involved in the last year.

Our next show is December 11 with the Christmas Classic. Our last show was this past weekend, where we crowned a new Middleweight Champion.

Our next show will feature Gavin Mcgavin take on Trent O'Day. More matches to be announced!

Well well, my old friend nobbyiscool! Good to see you!

For anyone interested, check out Queensland Wrestling Alliance. Based out of Townsville for the last 8 or so years, I've gotten involved in the last year.

Our next show is December 11 with the Christmas Classic. Our last show was this past weekend, where we crowned a new Middleweight Champion.

Our next show will feature Gavin Mcgavin take on Trent O'Day. More matches to be announced!

How are you bud? Long time no see.

Sadly I'll be nowhere near Townsville by then, but I'm trying to catch as much wrestling as I can while I'm on my lap of Australia. I got to see FWA's show in Sydney yesterday. The production value was absolute pants compared to MCW and DMDU in Melbourne, and the product was much less about wrestling and much more about entertaining kids and a bit of humour. I thought it was a fun show though, I'd go again.

How are you bud? Long time no see.

Sadly I'll be nowhere near Townsville by then, but I'm trying to catch as much wrestling as I can while I'm on my lap of Australia. I got to see FWA's show in Sydney yesterday. The production value was absolute pants compared to MCW and DMDU in Melbourne, and the product was much less about wrestling and much more about entertaining kids and a bit of humour. I thought it was a fun show though, I'd go again.

Been too long.

Check us out on Facebook and youtube.

Tonight's show is going to be great with Gavin McGavin visiting to take on Trent O'Day in a number one contender match for the QWA United Heavyweight Championship.

We also have a coffin match tonight between Tainted Crow and Edmund Blair.

Renegades of Wrestling have announced their first show for April in Collingwood.

Have announced the Australian return of Jonah Rock.

I'm not currently in Melbourne. I don't know if I'll settle in Melbourne post-road trip.

So as someone who is now somewhat external - damn that's an outstanding location. The Collingwood Town Hall is a great building, and it's so accessible from public transport for everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back