Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also they called Gold Coast a regional city so I feel like that's where they will go, just because it has an airport and seems like an easy place to convince a few thousand people to go for a holiday over say, Ballarat.

Looking at major events in October they could run alongside and I'd say possible NRL or AFL Grand Final weekends?

Surely they intend to try to get this up in Victoria? Can't see any regional cities in other states even getting close to providing them with a crowd of 6000. I also notice the figure is potentially for attendence across all four days.

In Melbourne I could maybe see a crowd of 1000-2000 showing up to a show if it had some high profile names. If you bundled in attendence at the convention you might pull a few more but not 5000-6000 and definitely not in a regional centre.

Has Cam Vale had any involvement in wrestling promotion before? He cites the WWE show at the MCG as proof of a big market here but it's pretty much a given that without the WWE name a fair majority of people wouldn't care. If similar indy+legends shows couldn't draw a big crowd here I'm not sure if a Ric Flair 8th "please don't die" retirement match or Paul Gallen vs. Nick Aldis for the Oceana Rinky-Dink Australasian Championship will pack them in either.

Imagine running a non-compliant crowd funding exercise to raise funds to build a venue for deathmatches.

Only to have the first event announced there run by another company promoting it as a family friendly show.

All while the people who ran the crowd funding will be overseas and still not willing to give out the actual location of the venue they supposedly raised funds to build, while a company is trying to sell tickets at a venue that nobody knows the location!

I thought this 3011 arena was going to be exclusive to DMDU ?

Surely they intend to try to get this up in Victoria? Can't see any regional cities in other states even getting close to providing them with a crowd of 6000. I also notice the figure is potentially for attendence across all four days.

In Melbourne I could maybe see a crowd of 1000-2000 showing up to a show if it had some high profile names. If you bundled in attendence at the convention you might pull a few more but not 5000-6000 and definitely not in a regional centre.

Has Cam Vale had any involvement in wrestling promotion before? He cites the WWE show at the MCG as proof of a big market here but it's pretty much a given that without the WWE name a fair majority of people wouldn't care. If similar indy+legends shows couldn't draw a big crowd here I'm not sure if a Ric Flair 8th "please don't die" retirement match or Paul Gallen vs. Nick Aldis for the Oceana Rinky-Dink Australasian Championship will pack them in either.
Nope. This is that if we get x% of the x% audience logic that never ends well and isn't realistic.

I'm going with 700 as the attendance with some big names

Someone on twitter asked where it was in realation to pt

Closest bus stop is 110m away. There is another bus stop in the other direction, 220m away. Middle Footscray Station is 750m away (10 min walk), and West Footscray Station is 950m (12 min walk).

We are just waiting for the owners to give us the address when the venue is safe.

Was the answer. All those people trying to get into this unsafe venue.

Pretty funny that they booked a venue for their debut show without getting an address.

Bought tickets to the next MCW show after a few friends from different circles had mentioned. Have no idea about the promotion or anyone there except Buddy Matthews so it should be interesting...

Bought tickets to the next MCW show after a few friends from different circles had mentioned. Have no idea about the promotion or anyone there except Buddy Matthews so it should be interesting...

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the presentation and the quality of the in ring work. Before I checked out MCW I had no idea there was a world class promotion in our own back yard. You've picked a hell of a first show too!

Get a fite+ subscription, all their shows are on there. Hasn't been a bad show all year. Rite of passage main event is my aussie match of the year.

70 seating and not many standing left. Its insane how quick these tickets are moving

70 seating and not many standing left. Its insane how quick these tickets are moving

Not sure I prefer the idea of increasing ticket prices and staying within walking distance, or finding somewhere a bit bigger.

A few months ago I went a bit further down High St for a gig at the newly refurbed Northcote Theatre. There’s some architectural challenges there, but capacity would be nearly double. Gorgeous building too. You could go back to what they used to do with most shows at Essendon and big ones at Thornbury, where now they have most events at Thornbury and 2-3 big ones somewhere bigger.

One of Thornbury’s owners has personally told me that they bought in to keep events exclusively at Thornbury, but I don’t know whether that’s new regime or was old regime, or both. (I know you get irrationally angry when I suggest this… but yeah, I was told personally by one of the brothers)

Not sure I prefer the idea of increasing ticket prices and staying within walking distance, or finding somewhere a bit bigger.

A few months ago I went a bit further down High St for a gig at the newly refurbed Northcote Theatre. There’s some architectural challenges there, but capacity would be nearly double. Gorgeous building too. You could go back to what they used to do with most shows at Essendon and big ones at Thornbury, where now they have most events at Thornbury and 2-3 big ones somewhere bigger.

One of Thornbury’s owners has personally told me that they bought in to keep events exclusively at Thornbury, but I don’t know whether that’s new regime or was old regime, or both. (I know you get irrationally angry when I suggest this… but yeah, I was told personally by one of the brothers)
Why would the half their capacity at Essendon when they are selling out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a bit premature to start talking a bigger venue. It definitely feels as if momentum has been building but as things stand crowds are still not back to those 2018-19 sort of numbers. Buddy Matthews is a draw and they've built really well to this show but without big overseas names on a regular basis I reckon crowds of 600+ on a consistent basis is a ways off. With that said I think MCW could think about what their marquee event is. I know traditionally this has been the BB but for me that's more your Royal Rumble than your Wrestlemania. I think the anniversary shows would be the ones that feel like already have some tradition behind them. Perhaps targetting a bigger venue with a stacked card for MCW '13 might be something to contemplate.

Going to miss my first pwa show this year

The card is legit gibberish

Like things they've announced
Istria vs bonza again
Shazza vs moretti??
Cherry vs x probably troy or jude london
South vs 5 random people

This is what happens when you have zero clue about booking and building shows. Say what you want about mcws build at least they build people up and to things people want to see.

Going to miss my first pwa show this year

The card is legit gibberish

Like things they've announced
Istria vs bonza again
Shazza vs moretti??
Cherry vs x probably troy or jude london
South vs 5 random people

This is what happens when you have zero clue about booking and building shows. Say what you want about mcws build at least they build people up and to things people want to see.

Certainly not a great sign when you get to your last show of the year and you haven't set up credible, obvious challengers to any of your titles. To the point that 2 of them aren't being defended and they haven't announced anything for the other one. (They could've done Charli vs Ricky as a title match - that would've sold me at least. If you're not desperate to defend any titles, they could've even paid off Ricky vs Cherry from Cherry's All That and just have Ricky murder Cherry with a chair.)

If not for Shaz vs Moretti - which looks like the main event - it's a house show. I have no idea when the NJPW junior tag tournament finishes, but I have to wonder whether they were expecting Robbie and he wasn't available?

The show is certainly not something I'm going to drop 15 bucks on to watch live, cos apart from Shaz vs Moretti/Nations (and the loss of Moretti's mind) and maybe Istria vs Bonza - (I say "maybe" cos I'm not sure it means anything with Bonza turning) - none of this has really been made important or even something that has story behind it. They haven't built any of it.

Jimmy Townsend is the only one they've really set up for Cherry, but they've put him in that 6-pack challenge. (How do the rules of that even work? Is that one of those where it's a time limit and the last one with a fall?)

I dunno man... I'm usually very quick to be positive about Oz wrestling, cos it's so much better than we deserve it to be; and I'm usually pretty happy to accept shows that don't necessarily have a lot of context to them. But this is a really ordinary line up.

I'm probably even harder on it when they have the VeloCities vs the Parea sitting right there for them after night 1 of Colosseum. Maybe the Parea aren't in a losing mood given the push they're getting in MCW? Regardless, PWA are clearly happy to give bullshit finishes, so I don't know why you wouldn't at least sell that match. I'd drop 15 bucks for that match even if I was expecting a DQ/Dusty finish.

Aussie Open, the VeloCities, Brady Ltd and the Natural Classics all made PWIs top 100 tag teams.

The tag list seems even more kayfabe than they men's 500 and the women's 150, so probably not surprising that the Parea and BDE aren't in it.

I thought Shazza was "destroying The Nations" but Hoffman and Troy are teaming as The Nations on the upcoming show. I'm confused about the end goal of it from Shazza's perspective since fighting them does nothing.

Re: Starcast down under

Listened to the interview with Cam Vale on the OTTB podcast. One of his main aims is to establish an event that showcase Australian talent from across the major promotions mixed in with US talent. Isn't this kind of what WSW is doing already? He also kind of backed away from the regional thing at the beginning of the interview but then seemed to double down on it at the end.

The dude seems pretty genuine and I have my fingers crossed that this thing gets off the ground but I dunno man......

I thought Shazza was "destroying The Nations" but Hoffman and Troy are teaming as The Nations on the upcoming show. I'm confused about the end goal of it from Shazza's perspective since fighting them does nothing.
Mate. Don't even get me started here. People were calling it out on Twitter and normally people are terrified to say anything on there.

My son passed away suddenly last night. He was 3. I just want to thank everyone who has reached out.

Man. I'm so incredibly sorry to hear this. Can't imagine what you're going through right now. I can't offer much but always here to talk s**t about wrestling if you need to take your mind off things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back