Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you miss Scott D'Amore being there. He WILL BE THERE AND MAYBE EVEN CONRAD AS WELL.

I HIGHLY doubt anyone is getting signed instead a case of being able to put on another show for this weekend and hopefully get more people out there on the back of the name value of the Australian guys which is smart because most of them would have bigger fanbases here in Australia than the Impact guys being flown in and they'll work for accommodation only based on hopefully getting signed.

As for signing the reason it won't happen is I've just done some research and your typical Impact wrestler will make 500 USD a night. Impact has a bit of a confusing schedule but most months they seem to run about 4 events only although sometimes that's less, lets put it at 40 events a year at 500 USD a night that's a mere 20,000 USD a year (If you're on every show) which is only 6.5k above the US poverty line. After taxes your 20k is 17.7k, hardly an amount worth packing everything up and moving across the world for even for the chance to be "seen". I'd say 90% of the Impact roster are just there because it is some form of national television that makes them more appealing to independents where they can make the majority of their money from.

In regards to the Impact tour itself, I'm disappointed but also not surprised that the events aren't selling well (Friday has second row still available, Saturday has third row available). When I first heard it being announced I was expecting something really special, perhaps the top stars of Impact, the top Australian stars and a few big name guests like a Ric Flair or something, something absolutely cannot miss to get people to Wagga but what have we got instead? An event where the biggest "star" on is Brian Myers who I like but he's just been here and is most known for a lower midcard run in WWE.

They've only got 3 weeks to move more tickets, don't know how much it'd help but if I was them I'd try announcing Bully Ray, Fandango, Heath Slater, Mickie James, Nick Aldis, Rhino and Tommy Dreamer to try and boost ticket sales. Still not enough to get me there though unfortunately...

They've only got 3 weeks to move more tickets, don't know how much it'd help but if I was them I'd try announcing Bully Ray, Fandango, Heath Slater, Mickie James, Nick Aldis, Rhino and Tommy Dreamer to try and boost ticket sales. Still not enough to get me there though unfortunately...

Wasn't Nick Aldis part of the annoucement of the Impact thing or was that something different?

Apparently FWA have cooked their show again. Second last show, All Star already pulled out, and now they're without a venue. Still selling tickets to the original venue though.

Yeah someone 100% needs to call him and his promotion out on this. Melbourne to Michigan is a 3k flight alone plus accommodations and everything else that goes along with travelling, I'd say minimum 5k if he's there for a week or whatever and obviously more the longer he stays.

If it is 5k for him to "tour" then that'd be a sizeable amount of people he could pay back...

Id been meaning to come back to this.

It’s not a defence of Bateman - as I said, I think I’m done with DMDU - and I think your commitment to counting other people’s money is wild.

I did want to note though that when I interviewed Jordan a few months ago he said that when he and Bateman went last year they slept in cars and on couches, and they drove between cities.

And he’s kind of a big deal in the world Deathmatch scene, so there’s a chance some of his airfare is being paid for.

All that said, it’s still a terrible look, he needs to be giving the impression that he’s working to get peoples money back - he’s not doing that from the US.

Apparently FWA have cooked their show again. Second last show, All Star already pulled out, and now they're without a venue. Still selling tickets to the original venue though.

Officially cancelled? Haven't seen that but wouldn't be surprised, that's what happens when marks run shows that they allegedly (According to All Star at least) can't afford.

Id been meaning to come back to this.

It’s not a defence of Bateman - as I said, I think I’m done with DMDU - and I think your commitment to counting other people’s money is wild.

I did want to note though that when I interviewed Jordan a few months ago he said that when he and Bateman went last year they slept in cars and on couches, and they drove between cities.

And he’s kind of a big deal in the world Deathmatch scene, so there’s a chance some of his airfare is being paid for.

All that said, it’s still a terrible look, he needs to be giving the impression that he’s working to get peoples money back - he’s not doing that from the US.

Is he really a big deal within the world deathmatch scene? If you look at where he's been he's never done Japan which would be the biggest place for deathmatches in 2023, in the US he hasn't worked any major deathmatch tournaments or made a CZW or GCW show, he hasn't even done IWA-MS which would be a step below those two but would be expected for someone who is a big deal on the deathmatch scene (I'm aware they aren't running anymore)

Even here in Australia he isn't a big deal really. If you take DMDU out of it he's really only working no ring feds and the MXW promotion, I view MXW as a backyard promotion and the no ring feds don't even count as professional (Even if they do book professionals). DMDU where he is one of the biggest draws is pretty much a failure at this point, I don't think any US promoters are flying him in because he's got such a big fan base over there either, not even partials. Bateman is most likely going over on his own dime to live the dream a little bit whilst many are owed money by him, it's kind of ****ed up if you think about it.

I do want to say that what you're saying is all part of his scam though, a lot of people assume that he is some kind of big deathmatch legend that has fans all over the world but it just isn't true. Him convincing some people of that though is how he was able to get 10k+ out of people in donations and him convincing people of that is why some pretty reputable people in wrestling still buy into and respect him.

Officially cancelled? Haven't seen that but wouldn't be surprised, that's what happens when marks run shows that they allegedly (According to All Star at least) can't afford.

Nah, apparently they're looking for a new venue.

Is he really a big deal within the world deathmatch scene? If you look at where he's been he's never done Japan which would be the biggest place for deathmatches in 2023, in the US he hasn't worked any major deathmatch tournaments or made a CZW or GCW show, he hasn't even done IWA-MS which would be a step below those two but would be expected for someone who is a big deal on the deathmatch scene (I'm aware they aren't running anymore)

Even here in Australia he isn't a big deal really. If you take DMDU out of it he's really only working no ring feds and the MXW promotion, I view MXW as a backyard promotion and the no ring feds don't even count as professional (Even if they do book professionals). DMDU where he is one of the biggest draws is pretty much a failure at this point, I don't think any US promoters are flying him in because he's got such a big fan base over there either, not even partials. Bateman is most likely going over on his own dime to live the dream a little bit whilst many are owed money by him, it's kind of ****ed up if you think about it.

I do want to say that what you're saying is all part of his scam though, a lot of people assume that he is some kind of big deathmatch legend that has fans all over the world but it just isn't true. Him convincing some people of that though is how he was able to get 10k+ out of people in donations and him convincing people of that is why some pretty reputable people in wrestling still buy into and respect him.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. No one is stupid enough to support a promotion from a business perspective because of the wrestling ability (or not) of its promoter. Give wrestling fans a bit more credit than that. (The flipside is that no one would've gone to TAMASHII with Fale being the promoter!)

He isn't a big deal in Australia cos he's always battled that wrecked shoulder. DMDU exists because Bateman wanted to wrestle, deathmatch was the only real avenue for him to do it, and no one in Australia was doing it. I'm not sure it's fair to say either way whether he's a big deal in Australia - he went really close to creating a niche, and I'm sure if Bateman ever spoke to media he would say that they were really close to establishing that niche ongoing, and that the venue was the difference, because they were so close to being able to run shows, not pay for venue hire, and run the bar and canteen themselves. (I wouldn't agree with him - I think only a sucker would - but I'm confident that's what he'd say.)

People supported it, and were taken advantage of, because of the values that they promoted before they started, and they promoted regularly throughout the first year. The people who are still sucked in now are people who got on board back then and just support the talent. You go to shows and, for the most part, the people remaining are the mates and the misfits who don't feel seen by other promotions - I'm not sure I can be critical of those people.

If you look at US deathmatch lists, Bateman regularly appears on them. I saw 2 different lists that had him as a top 10 deathmatch wrestler in US promotions in 2022. He held the ICW belt twice. So yeah, I'd imagine he's a draw when he goes over there.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. No one is stupid enough to support a promotion from a business perspective because of the wrestling ability (or not) of its promoter. Give wrestling fans a bit more credit than that. (The flipside is that no one would've gone to TAMASHII with Fale being the promoter!)

He isn't a big deal in Australia cos he's always battled that wrecked shoulder. DMDU exists because Bateman wanted to wrestle, deathmatch was the only real avenue for him to do it, and no one in Australia was doing it. I'm not sure it's fair to say either way whether he's a big deal in Australia - he went really close to creating a niche, and I'm sure if Bateman ever spoke to media he would say that they were really close to establishing that niche ongoing, and that the venue was the difference, because they were so close to being able to run shows, not pay for venue hire, and run the bar and canteen themselves. (I wouldn't agree with him - I think only a sucker would - but I'm confident that's what he'd say.)

People supported it, and were taken advantage of, because of the values that they promoted before they started, and they promoted regularly throughout the first year. The people who are still sucked in now are people who got on board back then and just support the talent. You go to shows and, for the most part, the people remaining are the mates and the misfits who don't feel seen by other promotions - I'm not sure I can be critical of those people.

If you look at US deathmatch lists, Bateman regularly appears on them. I saw 2 different lists that had him as a top 10 deathmatch wrestler in US promotions in 2022. He held the ICW belt twice. So yeah, I'd imagine he's a draw when he goes over there.
And he isn't very good in the ring? In terms of selling and drama the guy does zero. I love deathmatches and other than Evans carrying him he is a blank slate in there.

MCW 154 ALERT

TICKETS ON SALE NEXT WEEK

We return to the Thornbury Theatre on Saturday 9th September with the fallout of the 2023 Ballroom Brawl!

Don't miss all the action and excitement of MCW LIVE at the Thornbury Theatre.

General Public On Sale from 9am AEST Wednesday (June 21) at MCWTix.com.au

MCW 154 ALERT

TICKETS ON SALE NEXT WEEK

We return to the Thornbury Theatre on Saturday 9th September with the fallout of the 2023 Ballroom Brawl!

Don't miss all the action and excitement of MCW LIVE at the Thornbury Theatre.

General Public On Sale from 9am AEST Wednesday (June 21) at MCWTix.com.au
How many days will it take to sell out?

How many days will it take to sell out?

Well, it’s not Ballroom Brawl… and I dunno about clashing with the first week of footy finals. They did that least year, and from memory (you’d know better than me) I think it was the last MCW show (ie. non PWA copromotion) that didn’t sell out? It may have also been the last show before they started ramping up standing room again?

This will sell out, but I predict it’ll be back to that thing where you can at least find scattered seats up until a couple of weeks out - it won’t be like BB.

I’m disappointed that they’re continuing to scale down the number of shows. That’s crazy to me when you consider the ticket sales.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wife's birthday that weekend then we're expecting our first child in October so sqee ya next year MCW!

Nobody supports a promotion because of the wrestling ability of the promoter but my point was that he appeared reputable. He had some of the very best wrestlers in Australia wrestling under the DMDU brand, the likes of Charli Evans put him over as some kind of great deathmatch warrior and amazing person etc etc. No reason not to trust the guy then he does a go fund me type dealio and takes off with 13k, still many people are reluctant to call it for what it is that being a scam (Allegedly)

He did get close to creating something niche and fun but unfortunately like most wrestling promoters he is a mark and ruined it. Overdid the deathmatches, leaned too heavily on them, no storylines or hot angles instead just random senseless deathmatches for no reason where he would book himself in key positions despite not being marketable in the least. Now? People are over it, they've seen it, Bateman still trying to do the same thing that caused him to fail in the first place, it's the same tale of many before him.

It's great that he was the ICW Champion but I don't know what that is and I'm a very very hardcore wrestling fan so I'm assuming it doesn't mean all that much.

Nobody supports a promotion because of the wrestling ability of the promoter but my point was that he appeared reputable. He had some of the very best wrestlers in Australia wrestling under the DMDU brand, the likes of Charli Evans put him over as some kind of great deathmatch warrior and amazing person etc etc. No reason not to trust the guy then he does a go fund me type dealio and takes off with 13k, still many people are reluctant to call it for what it is that being a scam (Allegedly)

He did get close to creating something niche and fun but unfortunately like most wrestling promoters he is a mark and ruined it. Overdid the deathmatches, leaned too heavily on them, no storylines or hot angles instead just random senseless deathmatches for no reason where he would book himself in key positions despite not being marketable in the least. Now? People are over it, they've seen it, Bateman still trying to do the same thing that caused him to fail in the first place, it's the same tale of many before him.

It's great that he was the ICW Champion but I don't know what that is and I'm a very very hardcore wrestling fan so I'm assuming it doesn't mean all that much.
Icw nhb is a pretty small promotion all things considered. Not surprised you haven't heard of it. Would be like saying to someone what you havent heard of secret base or 666 or dove pro or such. Actually 666 probably has more going on since Ram is at least in stardom and the usa tours. Hell freedoms has more of a profile and what did their last korakuen draw, barely anything when i went despite the 2 top matches being better than every dmdu deathmatch put together.

For the most part, I find ICW:NHB to be scarcely a notch above that weird outfit that ran those spectacularly bad shows during Mania week with Mick Moretti in front of what appeared to be a green screen.

I remember the fleeting moment in time (actually it was probably a period of about four years) between the death of Flo Slam and the emergence of FITE+ where IWTV felt like the best source of Indy wrestling, and ICW was always on the main page. At that time I assumed - wrongly as it turned out - that they must be some sort of big deal. After watching their shows, particularly around the time of Mania one year when a lot of the other promotions like GCW were $20-$30 per event, I decided it wasn’t my go and resolved to not watch it.

Admittedly, I got sucked into going to one of the shows they co-promoted with DMDU at the B.East which was okay, subject to the observation that all the matches were virtually identical and the roof was about the same height as my lounge room. At four or so hours, that show was more than enough - I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like to go to four in four days like some sort of test match of deathmatch wrestling.

So yeah, they’re not particularly good IMO. And Bateman’s silence as to the matter of the funds and the timing of their return is increasingly problematic. Where is his legal update? Has he filed proceedings? What was his cause of action and who was his grievance with? Surely all of this information should have emerged by now.

Am I correct in thinking that DMDU were initially the beneficiaries of some government funding too, or did I imagine that?

On any measure, the whole thing stinks. And I don’t buy that Bateman has any particular legitimacy on account of his involvement with ICW any more than I would if he was making appearances for Rob Black’s revived XPW.

For the most part, I find ICW:NHB to be scarcely a notch above that weird outfit that ran those spectacularly bad shows during Mania week with Mick Moretti in front of what appeared to be a green screen.

I remember the fleeting moment in time (actually it was probably a period of about four years) between the death of Flo Slam and the emergence of FITE+ where IWTV felt like the best source of Indy wrestling, and ICW was always on the main page. At that time I assumed - wrongly as it turned out - that they must be some sort of big deal. After watching their shows, particularly around the time of Mania one year when a lot of the other promotions like GCW were $20-$30 per event, I decided it wasn’t my go and resolved to not watch it.

Admittedly, I got sucked into going to one of the shows they co-promoted with DMDU at the B.East which was okay, subject to the observation that all the matches were virtually identical and the roof was about the same height as my lounge room. At four or so hours, that show was more than enough - I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like to go to four in four days like some sort of test match of deathmatch wrestling.

So yeah, they’re not particularly good IMO. And Bateman’s silence as to the matter of the funds and the timing of their return is increasingly problematic. Where is his legal update? Has he filed proceedings? What was his cause of action and who was his grievance with? Surely all of this information should have emerged by now.

Am I correct in thinking that DMDU were initially the beneficiaries of some government funding too, or did I imagine that?

On any measure, the whole thing stinks. And I don’t buy that Bateman has any particular legitimacy on account of his involvement with ICW any more than I would if he was making appearances for Rob Black’s revived XPW.

I am probably going to get a bit of s**t for this, but here it goes.

It blows my mind, that hardly anyone is questioning or holding anyone to account for this. Watching this play out over social media has been not only frustrating but infuriating. I spent years building environments in this space for people to feel like they were coming home and that they were a part of something special, so to see people out so much money now - is devastating quite honestly.

You hit the nail on the head. Where are the updates? Where are we at for people to get at least some of their money back?

Where are the updates? Where are we at for people to get at least some of their money back?

The thing that surprises me most about the lack of updates is that what they've done is potentially illegal. Just yesterday I was reading an article about a guy who was found guilty of running an illegal flood fundraiser for an unregistered, sham charity.

I guess you'd have to be a lawyer and to study the t&cs of the crowdfunder to really know, but I feel like their silence creates a risk of someone getting the shits and making a police/ASIC/Vic consumer affairs enquiry.

Given the number of people at the Heathen Combat weekend shows, I have to imagine that plenty of people have contributed who aren't still attending DMDU shows, so their loyalty has already been broken, and you can't bank on them to just kiss the money goodbye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back